Author Topic: A message for people with tickets in the top/mid level sections of the arena....  (Read 4581 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I doubt Bono was not enthusiastic.

But less energetic? Yes.

It's amazing to see that he used to have enough energy to literally charge a stadium. Now we have to do some of the work ourselves. I noticed a comment or two here with the viewpoint that it was his job to bring everybody to their feet. I would not be proud of having that entitled point of view. After all these years they've brought me to my feet, in so many ways. The guy almost died and something changed. This is an excellent show. If you're thinking, I could sit down here, make a teeeeeeny bit of effort and don't.

Well, your $200 ticket should entitle you to something.  Look, Iím not trying to be cold and heartless.  I just resent being told I have some obligation to display enthusiasm I donít feel just so the show can live up to someone elseís expectations.  I enjoyed the show just as it was, staying seated when those around me were seated.  Iím fine with a U2 show not being the spectacle it once was.  Iím thinking maybe U2 is okay with it too.  Things change.

The attitude here is that I didnít even deserve to be there even though I paid good money for a seat.  Thinking casual fans owe a performance of their own to the hardcore fans.  Thatís entitlement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figures that your also ok with people not buying albums(physical or digital) and just streaming. Now its sitting down at a rock concert. Sorry, but neither one is cool or respectful of rock artist and their work.

Wait a minute...is this Jack Black??

Who is "Jack Black"?

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
I'm glad that I happened to be in a cool section where people were standing most of the time and having a great time.  I attended a "Boston" concert awhile back where everyone sat and it was a snoozefest.   As far as the lady behind who wanted people to sit, she was outnumbered so I just ignored her.  I think she got the hint when everyone in front remained standing.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
I was at last nightís show in GA and did notice whole sections sitting way up there, but the energy was high lower down.

I have had this discussion with family members who refuse to consider GA because they would have to stand the whole time. I think it is mostly our age, with some portion due to not knowing certain songs. On tours that featured more of the hits they would stand and then sit and then alternate based on whether they knew the song.

Did your family members ever stand for an entire show before? I've just never known anyone to sit down at a rock concert. I've never seen it at a U2 concert before. So I was stunned and shocked by it.
One is not a huge concert goer, so she wants a chance to sit. Another couple went to TJT30 as casual fans but I doubt they heard that album in full before the show. They all enjoyed that show, but not as much as I did.  They had fun watching me and the guy on the other side of them getting into the show while they sat.  I had a chance to buy GAs, but they wanted seats.

With my kids at i&e (nosebleed seats) they wanted to sit for Every Breaking Wave, but I sort of get that, as it was pretty slow.

I have seen some folks sitting at other U2 shows, but not for long. Usually it was in the nosebleed seats.  JT and ZooTV no one sat.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Have you been in the top level sections of some of the newer arenas in the U.S?  They are designed for a seated view of basketball or hockey and therefore are sometimes pretty steep with not much in front of you when you stand up, as the rows are set that when the person in front of you is sitting, their head isn't too far above your knees with you sitting.  I sat for most of the Nashville show for this reason, because I was afraid that if I lost my balance while standing, I would fall into the rows in front of me.  I most certainly did not sit there quietly though.  I danced in my seat, sang along to every song and cheered loudly.
I will second this part. At the top of MSG for i&e it was pretty steep. We also were way up in the ďcornerĒ for Bon Jovi in Charlotte and my wife didnít want to stand up much because it was so steep.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy

But less energetic? Yes.

It's amazing to see that he used to have enough energy to literally charge a stadium. Now we have to do some of the work ourselves. I noticed a comment or two here with the viewpoint that it was his job to bring everybody to their feet. I would not be proud of having that entitled point of view. After all these years they've brought me to my feet, in so many ways. The guy almost died and something changed. This is an excellent show. If you're thinking, I could sit down here, make a teeeeeeny bit of effort and don't.

Well, your $200 ticket should entitle you to something.  Look, Iím not trying to be cold and heartless.  I just resent being told I have some obligation to display enthusiasm I donít feel just so the show can live up to someone elseís expectations.  I enjoyed the show just as it was, staying seated when those around me were seated.  Iím fine with a U2 show not being the spectacle it once was.  Iím thinking maybe U2 is okay with it too.  Things change.

The attitude here is that I didnít even deserve to be there even though I paid good money for a seat.  Thinking casual fans owe a performance of their own to the hardcore fans.  Thatís entitlement.

Figures that your also ok with people not buying albums(physical or digital) and just streaming. Now its sitting down at a rock concert. Sorry, but neither one is cool or respectful of rock artist and their work.

Just for the record.  I have never streamed or downloaded music illegally.  I pay artists on their terms and use legal streaming services to which the artists have licensed their work.

Offline wons

• Numb
I was at last nightís show in GA and did notice whole sections sitting way up there, but the energy was high lower down.

I have had this discussion with family members who refuse to consider GA because they would have to stand the whole time. I think it is mostly our age, with some portion due to not knowing certain songs. On tours that featured more of the hits they would stand and then sit and then alternate based on whether they knew the song.

Did your family members ever stand for an entire show before? I've just never known anyone to sit down at a rock concert. I've never seen it at a U2 concert before. So I was stunned and shocked by it.
One is not a huge concert goer, so she wants a chance to sit. Another couple went to TJT30 as casual fans but I doubt they heard that album in full before the show. They all enjoyed that show, but not as much as I did.  They had fun watching me and the guy on the other side of them getting into the show while they sat.  I had a chance to buy GAs, but they wanted seats.

With my kids at i&e (nosebleed seats) they wanted to sit for Every Breaking Wave, but I sort of get that, as it was pretty slow.

I have seen some folks sitting at other U2 shows, but not for long. Usually it was in the nosebleed seats.  JT and ZooTV no one sat.

I've never seen anyone sitting at a U2 show before this tour and I have seen 23 U2 shows starting with ZOO TV. I had a nosebleed seat for Giants stadium on Popmart and even all the way back there for a tour and album that was criticized, everyone stood. Elevation, Vertigo, and 360 tours, everyone stood.

Offline wons

• Numb

But less energetic? Yes.

Just for the record.  I have never streamed or downloaded music illegally.  I pay artists on their terms and use legal streaming services to which the artists have licensed their work.

Just because its legal does not make it right. The artist makes far more money when you purchase their album as opposed to streaming it through spotify or youtube. Artist today are forced into streaming services because nearly everyone has stopped purchasing music.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy

But less energetic? Yes.

Just because its legal does not make it right. The artist makes far more money when you purchase their album as opposed to streaming it through spotify or youtube. Artist today are forced into streaming services because nearly everyone has stopped purchasing music.

No point in going into that again.  We will just have to agree to disagree.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a church or a bingo hall! Its a rock concert! A Rock concert by U2!

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

This show is just not that exciting.  First song is so mellow and just a recorded version from the album.  Second song you just get a video screen with no band members seen until the very end.  The Ocean is way to slow for live concert.  Whole end of the first set is carbon copy of previous indoor show (although Iris is still great).   This tour is not among U2's best live performances by a long shot.

Offline wons

• Numb

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

This show is just not that exciting.  First song is so mellow and just a recorded version from the album.  Second song you just get a video screen with no band members seen until the very end.  The Ocean is way to slow for live concert.  Whole end of the first set is carbon copy of previous indoor show (although Iris is still great).   This tour is not among U2's best live performances by a long shot.

I loved last years Joshua Tree tour 2017. Saw It twice. But I was more impressed with this tour and show. It featured a lot of things the band had never done before. They played 8 songs from the new album which is what the tour is for. They also made the gutsy move not to play anything from the Joshua Tree, which I think allowed them to play more songs from different albums in their catalog while still promoting the new album. The first show in Philly I saw had songs from 11 of U2's 14 studio albums. That's impressive at this stage.

You obviously don't know much about U2 live if you think the Ocean is too mellow for a live show. U2 played the Ocean at every show on the Boy Tour which featured some of the most energetic performances of the bands career. It was the first time I had heard it live at a show I had been at and was one of the highlights of the show for me! I love the song, the melody in it!

The Innocence And Experience Tour did not visit most cities in the U.S.. It only visited 7 cities in fact with Philly and Washington D.C. not being among those, so I did not get to see it. They only played two songs from Innocence but 8 songs from Experience, plus no songs from Joshua Tree, so to say it was like the Innocence tour just does not stand up.

In any event, you stand up out of respect for the band and because your excited to seem them and love the music they play. Not liking it as much as other tours is not an excuse to sit down. You don't sit down at a rock concert.

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.

I loved last years Joshua Tree tour 2017. Saw It twice. But I was more impressed with this tour and show. It featured a lot of things the band had never done before. They played 8 songs from the new album which is what the tour is for. They also made the gutsy move not to play anything from the Joshua Tree, which I think allowed them to play more songs from different albums in their catalog while still promoting the new album. The first show in Philly I saw had songs from 11 of U2's 14 studio albums. That's impressive at this stage.

You obviously don't know much about U2 live if you think the Ocean is too mellow for a live show. U2 played the Ocean at every show on the Boy Tour which featured some of the most energetic performances of the bands career. It was the first time I had heard it live at a show I had been at and was one of the highlights of the show for me! I love the song, the melody in it!

The Innocence And Experience Tour did not visit most cities in the U.S.. It only visited 7 cities in fact with Philly and Washington D.C. not being among those, so I did not get to see it. They only played two songs from Innocence but 8 songs from Experience, plus no songs from Joshua Tree, so to say it was like the Innocence tour just does not stand up.

In any event, you stand up out of respect for the band and because your excited to seem them and love the music they play. Not liking it as much as other tours is not an excuse to sit down. You don't sit down at a rock concert.

The Ocean drowned the energy in 2005 and again in 2018.  They have much better catalog to choose from. Cheers sir..

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
I have to admit, The Ocean did stall things.

I have serious vision impairment so I don't know what other sections did at Boston 2, but in my section, everybody got up for the first time at IWF. I wanted to stand at LIAWHL - not that it's anything to move to but I was excited the show was starting, but I felt uncomfortable. I was pi**ed through The Blackout. So when IWF came up I was relieved, but then everybody sat for ABOY. Up again for BD, and I was ready to hold the line no matter what... but... it was The Ocean. Forgive me, guys.

I came through on the second act. People were up for Elevation and Vertigo, down for Desire and Acrobat, but I held the line. I admit to sitting through the acoustic pair but everybody was up again for Pride and I stayed up for the rest of the show, though only two songs did I have to flout convention (GOOYOW and AS - the latter of which ROCKED and you couldn't tie me down).

People stood throughout the full encore, including 13.

Offline wons

• Numb

The Ocean drowned the energy in 2005 and again in 2018.  They have much better catalog to choose from. Cheers sir..

I'd forgot they played it on the Vertigo Tour. They played it at 2 of the four shows that I saw on the Vertigo Tour. Love the song, plus its important to have less intense parts of the show to give the band a rest and get ready for the next songs. Its a beautiful song and I always love hearing it.

Offline wons

• Numb
I have to admit, The Ocean did stall things.

I have serious vision impairment so I don't know what other sections did at Boston 2, but in my section, everybody got up for the first time at IWF. I wanted to stand at LIAWHL - not that it's anything to move to but I was excited the show was starting, but I felt uncomfortable. I was pi**ed through The Blackout. So when IWF came up I was relieved, but then everybody sat for ABOY. Up again for BD, and I was ready to hold the line no matter what... but... it was The Ocean. Forgive me, guys.

I came through on the second act. People were up for Elevation and Vertigo, down for Desire and Acrobat, but I held the line. I admit to sitting through the acoustic pair but everybody was up again for Pride and I stayed up for the rest of the show, though only two songs did I have to flout convention (GOOYOW and AS - the latter of which ROCKED and you couldn't tie me down).

People stood throughout the full encore, including 13.

It never stalled anything on the Boy and October tours so I don't see how it could stall anything on this tour. Its like saying a song like October stalls things and then the band goes into New Years Day. Just because something is slow and mellow does not mean it messes up things.

Still don't understand why these people are sitting? Makes it seem like they are new to concerts or U2 or something but I suspect the majority have seen U2 before and stood up for the whole show as well.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
You're right, October doesn't stall anything, and of course you have to mix up the tempo.

I literally have no idea what happened.

I really want to see it again with an audience that is UP. I don't get it. It was a GREAT show and they still "got it." They sound fantastic. WTF?