Author Topic: A message for people with tickets in the top/mid level sections of the arena....  (Read 4564 times)

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
Everybody here is making valid points. It is such a bummer to see people sitting down during IWF and The Electric Co. on a Sat nite outside NYC (Nassau show), but there are lots of casual fans now and even the true fans are getting older. The blame really goes across all sides as this is not a strong setlist. The new songs are very good, but in many cases arenít performed strongly (Lights of Home, YTBTAM and LIBTAIIW feel weak live). And they need to scrap the emasculated version of Sunday Bloody Sunday. Itís a give and take situation and I feel like U2 are taking many of the casual fansí money and, in turn, these people arenít giving much of their energy; U2 then responds with a terribly predictable, going through the motions, setlist. What happened to them mixing up sets when playing multiple shows in one city? That so far has been the biggest disappointment and I apologize for going off topic, but itís all related. Either way, I love them and will be back on the floor (the only way to go) for MSG 3. Wake up people and letís go U2. Energy!

Offline U2Fan

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Everything in the f****** hotel is brown.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to admit, The Ocean did stall things.

I have serious vision impairment so I don't know what other sections did at Boston 2, but in my section, everybody got up for the first time at IWF. I wanted to stand at LIAWHL - not that it's anything to move to but I was excited the show was starting, but I felt uncomfortable. I was pi**ed through The Blackout. So when IWF came up I was relieved, but then everybody sat for ABOY. Up again for BD, and I was ready to hold the line no matter what... but... it was The Ocean. Forgive me, guys.

I came through on the second act. People were up for Elevation and Vertigo, down for Desire and Acrobat, but I held the line. I admit to sitting through the acoustic pair but everybody was up again for Pride and I stayed up for the rest of the show, though only two songs did I have to flout convention (GOOYOW and AS - the latter of which ROCKED and you couldn't tie me down).

People stood throughout the full encore, including 13.

It never stalled anything on the Boy and October tours so I don't see how it could stall anything on this tour. Its like saying a song like October stalls things and then the band goes into New Years Day. Just because something is slow and mellow does not mean it messes up things.

Still don't understand why these people are sitting? Makes it seem like they are new to concerts or U2 or something but I suspect the majority have seen U2 before and stood up for the whole show as well.

October is ten times better than The Ocean.  Anyhow, obviously, the energy of a band (and crowd) that is in their teens/early 20s is going to be much higher than those in the late 40's-50's.

Offline wons

• Numb
I have to admit, The Ocean did stall things.

I have serious vision impairment so I don't know what other sections did at Boston 2, but in my section, everybody got up for the first time at IWF. I wanted to stand at LIAWHL - not that it's anything to move to but I was excited the show was starting, but I felt uncomfortable. I was pi**ed through The Blackout. So when IWF came up I was relieved, but then everybody sat for ABOY. Up again for BD, and I was ready to hold the line no matter what... but... it was The Ocean. Forgive me, guys.

I came through on the second act. People were up for Elevation and Vertigo, down for Desire and Acrobat, but I held the line. I admit to sitting through the acoustic pair but everybody was up again for Pride and I stayed up for the rest of the show, though only two songs did I have to flout convention (GOOYOW and AS - the latter of which ROCKED and you couldn't tie me down).

People stood throughout the full encore, including 13.

It never stalled anything on the Boy and October tours so I don't see how it could stall anything on this tour. Its like saying a song like October stalls things and then the band goes into New Years Day. Just because something is slow and mellow does not mean it messes up things.

Still don't understand why these people are sitting? Makes it seem like they are new to concerts or U2 or something but I suspect the majority have seen U2 before and stood up for the whole show as well.

October is ten times better than The Ocean.  Anyhow, obviously, the energy of a band (and crowd) that is in their teens/early 20s is going to be much higher than those in the late 40's-50's.

I wouldn't go that far. Perhaps a better song, but not ten times better. Generally, the bands energy is unchanged from decades ago. I Will Follow and Gloria rock pretty much just as hard as they did decades ago.

As for the crowd, U2's crowd had always been the same energetic and always standing up group until this tour. I'm comparing the U2 crowd to itself, to the most recent tours.

Offline wons

• Numb
Everybody here is making valid points. It is such a bummer to see people sitting down during IWF and The Electric Co. on a Sat nite outside NYC (Nassau show), but there are lots of casual fans now and even the true fans are getting older.

This does not strike me as a show that a casual U2 fan would go to. If it was, they would be booked in stadiums not arenas. I think the vast majority of these fans are in the more dedicated group of fans, the fans that went to see the POPMART tour and purchased the Pop album. But even going back to the 360 tour when you had large numbers of casual fans in the crowd, EVERYONE was standing!

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
I'm in the 1st row of the 2nd level at MSG tomorrow.  I'm sure I'll feel the pressure to sit down if we are the only ones standing and I'll probably give in as I don't want to be that guy.  Hopefully, I'm wrong.  At least for MSG 2 and Mohegan Sun, I'll be on the floor and won't have to think about it. 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
In the front row of your section, you could set the trend. Are you going alone? If there's, like, 4 of you, that could be enough to set momentum.

But I, too, caved on several songs myself. I absolutely loathed feeling self-conscious. I'm pi**ed all over again just thinking about it. I was there to enjoy A ROCK CONCERT but I had to sit mutely so that people who felt they were watching a TV program or something other than a live ROCK CONCERT could see it without raising their heart rates at all. Obviously you could say I had only myself to blame but I am not the kind of person for whom not caring about pi**ing people off comes naturally.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Maybe people who want to sit should just watch the videos...?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Maybe people who want to sit should just watch the videos...?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
Itís impossible to know if the vast majority of the E + I attendees are casual fans, die-hards or something in between, but I see this as a slow change that started in 2009 with 360. I sat 1st row upper deck at Giants Stadium (on the side) and remember this weird feeling being surrounded by very mellow folks who sat for half the show. The Vertigo tour I was last row upper deck in Boston (albeit an arena) and didnít see a single soul sitting the whole show. 360 was the beginning of the downturn...record-setting tour, but it was in support of an underwhelming album (now weíre at 3 tours in a row where most people, not me, donít want to hear anything new) and it let in a new crop of undesirable casual fans into the mix. E + I needs to be reimagined somewhat to include some moments of ďspontaneityĒ and surprise. The most static setlists since ZooTV indoor (but there was a reason for that) and itís almost like Bono doesnít want to connect with the fans anymore. Whereís the guest guitar player from the crowd or a girl he can dance with on stage? The show is a bummer and it was the last thing weíd expect right now. Nothing left to lose, especially after the near death experience. Just let it all go and letís have fun. 40 years of EXPERIENCE and this is what they may leave us with forever? I get 13 as the closer and the somber moments, but it unfortunately outweighs the limited high points. Disappointing.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
Itís impossible to know if the vast majority of the E + I attendees are casual fans, die-hards or something in between, but I see this as a slow change that started in 2009 with 360. I sat 1st row upper deck at Giants Stadium (on the side) and remember this weird feeling being surrounded by very mellow folks who sat for half the show. The Vertigo tour I was last row upper deck in Boston (albeit an arena) and didnít see a single soul sitting the whole show. 360 was the beginning of the downturn...record-setting tour, but it was in support of an underwhelming album (now weíre at 3 tours in a row where most people, not me, donít want to hear anything new) and it let in a new crop of undesirable casual fans into the mix. E + I needs to be reimagined somewhat to include some moments of ďspontaneityĒ and surprise. The most static setlists since ZooTV indoor (but there was a reason for that) and itís almost like Bono doesnít want to connect with the fans anymore. Whereís the guest guitar player from the crowd or a girl he can dance with on stage? The show is a bummer and it was the last thing weíd expect right now. Nothing left to lose, especially after the near death experience. Just let it all go and letís have fun. 40 years of EXPERIENCE and this is what they may leave us with forever? I get 13 as the closer and the somber moments, but it unfortunately outweighs the limited high points. Disappointing.

Undesirable casual fans?  Wow.  I bet U2 doesnít think theyíre undesirable. 

If you are a ďdie-hardĒ you should probably try to get GA tickets on the floor and donít worry about the ďlame casualĒ fans in the seats.

Iíve been going to U2 shows since the mid-80s and I donít ever remember everybody standing all way through the show.  I think Elevation/Vertigo tours were a high point as far as audience engagement.  You canít expect that to be sustained forever.  You will either have to manage your expectations or quit going.  I get that its fun when the crowd goes wild but it shouldnít be so important that it diminishes your enjoyment of the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
Undesirable is a strong term, but I think we all just want more energy from the fans and from U2. And yes, after that Giants Stadium show almost 10 years ago, Iím all about the floor. Donít care what happens upstairs.

Offline wons

• Numb
Itís impossible to know if the vast majority of the E + I attendees are casual fans, die-hards or something in between, but I see this as a slow change that started in 2009 with 360.

The casual fans come out when the band is more popular and in demand. This is not one of the bands more popular moments. Based on attendance and rate of ticket sales when their released, this feels more like a POPMART moment. POPMART was seen by Die Hards. The Casuals stayed home leading to half empty stadiums in some markets. The two tours for the latest two albums find the band in the same spot and its likely that the ratio of die hards to casuals is about the same as it was on POPMART. I don't have hard evidence to prove all that, but I suspect its largely correct.

Sorry you did not like the show. I loved it. Thought it was even better than last years Joshua Tree Tour. I think the band are right where they should be in terms of their performance on the latest album and this live show. I had a great time and was surprised and blown away by the performance and that says something given that it was my 22nd and 23rd time seeing U2 in concert.

Offline wons

• Numb

Iíve been going to U2 shows since the mid-80s and I donít ever remember everybody standing all way through the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? How many people do you see sitting down at the Red Rocks show? If what you say is so, you should be able to post links from youtube with whole sections of the audience sitting down on each tour since the mid-1980s. I've not seen any yet on youtube. I was in the nose bleed sections for some ZOO TV shows and POPMART shows, while being on the floor for others, and no one was sitting down at all. Last week in D.C. though, you had entire sections in the upper levels sitting down. That's the whole reason I started this thread. I saw something that was shocking and unusual at a U2 concert that I had never seen before after seeing the band 21 times prior to this tour.

Offline seano0513

• Babyface
Itís impossible to know if the vast majority of the E + I attendees are casual fans, die-hards or something in between, but I see this as a slow change that started in 2009 with 360.

The casual fans come out when the band is more popular and in demand. This is not one of the bands more popular moments. Based on attendance and rate of ticket sales when their released, this feels more like a POPMART moment. POPMART was seen by Die Hards. The Casuals stayed home leading to half empty stadiums in some markets. The two tours for the latest two albums find the band in the same spot and its likely that the ratio of die hards to casuals is about the same as it was on POPMART. I don't have hard evidence to prove all that, but I suspect its largely correct.

Agreed that the vast majority of POPMARTís attendees were die-hards, but I challenge the comparison of 1997 to 2015-18 considering how different the music and concert industries are today. Itís all about touring and, to millions of consumers, itís all about nostalgia. There are still lots of people out there who havenít seen U2 and theyíre now taking advantage of their numerous chances, especially in the big cities. They see their ads on their FB or Instagram feed (or an email from TM or Live Nation) and think, let me check them off the list. The influx of casual fans has in no way slowed. How about 1 final Club tour and letís end it where it started? Iíll start saving up for that right now.

gasface257

STAND UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not a church or a bingo hall! Its a rock concert! A Rock concert by U2!

At the 2nd Washington D.C. show last night at the Capital One arena, the Upper Level and Mid-Level sections were sitting down for most of the show. WHAT THE HELL!? This show was being filmed for a DVD/Blue Ray release! This is the first time in U2's career that I have ever seen people sitting down at a U2 show in large numbers. There were even some people in the lower level sections that were sitting occasionally, but in general the lower level sections were up on their feet.

Why don't you just let people do what they want?  If they want to sit, let them. Don't think that just because they are sitting they aren't enjoying the show in their own way. I'm sure the band could care less, they have enough confidence in themselves that they don't need the crowd to stand to give them validation.

I still remember when Kanye West demanded that a guy in a wheelchair stood at his show.  U2's audience is aging.  It's fine to get up and let the music move you, it's also fine to stay in your seat and enjoy the ride.