Author Topic: Edge’s Rig Rundown  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Edge’s Rig Rundown
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Edge’s Rig Rundown
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:40:09 PM »
Probably the best Dallas video ever.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
It has references to both cats and dogs.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 04:26:23 PM »
I can play a few chords but I'm no musician and certainly not a guitar tech nerd. So when I see this video floating around and notice it's ONE HOUR LONG I'm always like naaaaaah.

Last night I clicked "play" on it though I really needed to go to sleep.

It was the greatest! One hour of Dallas talking indeciperable guitar tech geek stuff felt like ten very fun minutes. He explains the context of the gear very well, so it's not just gushing about a thingamabob but WHY it's so great. He explains how Edge sees his tools, how and why he doesn't customize a guitar but just lets it have its inherent strengths. How much attention he pays to detail - clearly that goes beyond the equipment into the songwriting and studio recordings.

Dallas is a complete delight and there's no wonder at all that Edge has kept this gem all these years. I bet other guitarists want Dallas. But maybe other guitarists don't need Dallas.

Anyway, if you're thinking you need to be a gear geek to enjoy this, no way. Watch it!

Offline Powderworker

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 11:27:29 PM »
He is a great guy.  We had breakfast with him the day after the Dallas show of the Joshua Tree tour.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 06:58:41 PM »
He is a great guy.  We had breakfast with him the day after the Dallas show of the Joshua Tree tour.
in 2017? Story please! He is so sweet. How did you get an "in"?

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 09:22:34 AM »
I really enjoyed this he seems like down to earth guy
I knew Edge had a lot of guitars on tour but had no idea that many lol what i found really interesting is how Edge plays using the pick side ways i never heard of that and using the grip ,and the pedals were awesome no wonder he is a my favorite guitar player

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »
Yes, Mr Schoo is great at explaining things. One hour with him is too short. This documentary is a must-see for anyone interested in guitar / music. The explanation about the picking technique is great. I also loved his information on the way The Edge has created a mini slide to use on just one or two strings at a time and how it allows him to fret notes and chords as well within the
same song. So I watched the Innocence & Experience Paris dvd again and I realised what Dallas meant during COBL. Here's a link (look at 1:59) : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 02:27:39 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 02:10:09 PM »
Then I tried to get something similar to try out and I ordered some ready-made mini slides from a nice Italian company called M Picks.

These slides are really good quality. I think they really match Dallas' description - except for the fact that they are not brass but steel (the difference in sound should be tiny if not negligible).
They seem to be constructed as mentioned by Dallas (double layer...). Unfortunately, they are too large for my very thin fingers (I've read that it's possible to add some blu tack inside to make them narrower, but blu tack is not available in my country).

So if anyone is interesting in attempting to play City of Blinding Lights, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Magnificent, Kite or Sometimes You Can't Make it Your Own like The Edge, I would be glad to send them a mini slide for free as a Christmas gift from one fan to another U2 fan (I can add a Herdim pick as well as I have a couple of them lying around).

I have three slides to give away :
the first one is 20 mm (0.78 inch) in diameter and 15 mm (0.59 inch) long, the second one is 22 mm in diameter (0.86) and 15 mm long, the third one is 22 mm in diameter (0.86 inch) and 20 mm (0.78) long. You need to measure a ring that fits you.

Here is how they look :

So let me know if you're interested and I'll send you one!   :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 12:26:19 AM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 12:00:24 PM »
thanks for sharing this

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 02:24:04 PM »
Does anyone know how that one pedal works that Dallas was talking about the one that he said Edge hit and it communicates without a band to start the next song

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 06:35:30 PM »
Does anyone know how that one pedal works that Dallas was talking about the one that he said Edge hit and it communicates without a band to start the next song
They are MIDI trigger pedals that he uses to start or stop the sequencer that runs backing tracks, IEM cues, and lights or visuals.  Just guessing but Adam and Larry probably also have something they can use to do the same thing.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2018, 06:08:29 AM »
Those two pedals are not part of his CAE effects switching rig.  I don’t think Edge’s effects are switched by the sequencer.  He or Dallas initiate the patch changes.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 07:19:07 AM »
Ok cool thanks i was wondering how that works