Author Topic: SOE revisited  (Read 1651 times)

Offline suitoflights

• Desert Rose
  • You gotta hold on baby to my special feature
SOE revisited
« on: September 17, 2018, 09:34:10 AM »
So it's almost a year old. I hadn't listened to it in a while so gave it a spin today. I always liked it but it sounded much better! Until now I preferred SOI, I just thought the songs were stronger. But SOE sounded fresher, and the production is amazing.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
Re: SOE revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:18:48 AM »
I listened to most of it a couple nights ago, for the first time in a while.  I think it's still standing up very well.  There are things I like about every song. 

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 10:53:22 AM »
I've been giving it a break since about July, but I did listen once in August and was really pleased with how it was holding up for me. I've listened to some songs here and there, it's just full or extensive album play I've not done as much lately (after having played it daily for several months). But it's a great album, and while there might be a couple of skips if I'm short on time, I still like the whole thing front to back, unlike ATYCLB or HTDAAB. (Feel the same about SOI).

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 05:40:49 PM »
Brought up a song from it tonight and keep skipping around on it, and not moving on.  My God, it sounds so good.  A year on, Iím still very much enjoying it.  I think Iím still catching up to it.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »
I still been playing this whole album ,it just seems like these songs don't grow old with me

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 08:35:17 AM »
This is the most I've enjoyed a new U2 album in my time as a U2 fan (since around 98/99).

It only occurred to me yesterday it may be due to the stage I'm at in life. In the time between SOI & SOE I got married, had a kid, and got another on the way. Also lost people that meant a lot to me, and seeing friends going through the same.

A lot of the themes therefore mean something to me. Bono's songs for his children (GOOYOW, 13), song for his wife (Landlady), song about his own mortality (Little Things), and the literal meaning of Love Is Bigger Than Anything In It's Way (and Love Is All We Have Left) all resonate with me. It's probably the U2 album I needed at this point.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
Like NLOTH, SOE does indeed resonate with, shall we say, more seasoned listeners :)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Like NLOTH, SOE does indeed resonate with, shall we say, more seasoned listeners :)
I donít know.  Iím pretty ďseasonedĒ and it didnít resonate with me.  It seemed like the same themes weíve been hearing since Kite on ATYCLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:27:53 PM »
I donít know.  Iím pretty ďseasonedĒ and it didnít resonate with me.  It seemed like the same themes weíve been hearing since Kite on ATYCLB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't resonate with me either

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2018, 10:47:51 PM »
The Showman Red Flag Day Little Things Lights Of Home are great the rest I don't really care for that much.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:15:50 AM by fodiktet »

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2019, 07:13:42 AM »
I don't usually take the bus home from work anymore, but when I do, I listen to music.  I've been on a bit of a self-imposed listening-to-U2 sabbatical since last November.  I had to ride the bus last night and decided I wanted to listen to this album on random. 

And...  I still enjoy it quite a bit.  I was sort of wondering where Iíd land on it, after giving it a break for so long.  And whether or not it goes with or against popular opinion, I think the record is quite good. 

Iím someone who prefers experimental U2, over reaching-for-the-charts U2.  So Iíll say it again Ė I think this album is quite good.  It probably still stands in the upper-middle tier of U2 albums for me.  Thatís a fairly significant thing for me in my relationship with this band. 

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 10:02:10 AM »
it's their most concise effort since 'Zooropa', in my opinion...  the reason it wasn't as commercially successful as it should've been is because I don't think that it was marketed very well...  it was kinda "old before it's new"...  aside from the 'Songs of Experience' title which was assumed long before release, a lot of the standout songs were heard months before as well...  'The Little Things That Give You Away', probably the best and most popular track, was first unveiled on Opening Night of 'The Joshua Tree Tour' in Vancouver (I was there and let me tell you it sounded Fantastic live and I'm still puzzled why it never made it onto the setlist for 'e+i') before it was played at several other shows, including a TV performance...  'The Blackout', which is every bit as good, was first heard a few months later in August while the excellent 'You're The Best Thing About Me' single made its debut in September...  I can't remember how it went down after that but I heard both 'American Soul' & 'Get Out Of Your Own Way' before the album came out as well...

by the time I had it in my hands only half of it was "new" to me which killed a little of the excitement for me...  still, the album impresses from start to finish and it's been a long time, like I said since 'Zooropa', where I can honestly say that about a U2 album...  any material that they released between this one and 'Zooropa' I rarely listen to, except for the live versions which are noticeably better than their studio counterparts, in my opinion, especially the 'POP' record...  U2 are a live band for me, but the 'Songs of Experience' album reminded me of how crafty they can be in the recording studio...  I give this album a 9 out of 10...  at times truly great songwriting, solid performances by all four of them and production that's not over the top like the previous 'Innocence' album...:-)

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:44 AM »
While I still think this album is their best since ATYCLB, I only find myself listening to two from it on a consistent basis a year later.

The Little Things is incredible and in my opinion is a top 10 U2 song and Red Flag day have staying power to me.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 03:25:01 PM »
Meh, it still kinda sucks. "Love is All We Have Left" is good, "Summer of Love" and" Red Flag Day" are pretty great and "13" is heartfelt. Thats about it though. I still prefer SOI.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 04:24:37 AM »
Meh, it still kinda sucks. "Love is All We Have Left" is good, "Summer of Love" and" Red Flag Day" are pretty great and "13" is heartfelt. Thats about it though. I still prefer SOI.

I like SOI too - but currently SOE weirdly keeps sucking me in