Author Topic: SOE revisited  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
Re: SOE revisited
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 11:18:23 AM »
Recently I watched the film Hot Summers Night from 2017, that film completely changed my perspective and taste for the new album, I could hear it with different ears, it is a very modern sounding album now for me, and quite hip actually, which never was before. Watch that film, and then afterwards listen to SOE, of course taste is individual, but some other art or experience usually changes our taste. I loved that album before, I love it now, just feeling its appeal differently now.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:46 PM »
I still find myself listening to it a couple times a week. If anything, I feel more strongly than ever that its one of their four touchstone albums. Not their best album, but very important.

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 04:27:22 PM »
I think it is strong overall and doesn't get tiring. Showman doesn't do much for me.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 06:02:48 PM »
Seems like its their most polarizing work since Pop.  More than most of their albums it seems like people either love it or hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seems like its their most polarizing work since Pop.  More than most of their albums it seems like people either love it or hate it.

Im not so sure about that plus Pop has time on its side. Maybe views will change on SOE as it matures?

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 05:17:43 AM »

Im not so sure about that plus Pop has time on its side. Maybe views will change on SOE as it matures?

I'd say All You Can't Leave Behind is still more polarizing. SOE to me is like pretty much all their post Pop albums: some strong tracks and some that are too poppy or MOR for my tastes.

I also generally conceptualize SOI and SOE as one double album, so the highlights of the two when put together make one quite strong album.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 05:14:49 PM »
There's one too many "meh" songs on SOE for me to want to commit to listening to it in it's entirety. I can't listen through tracks 3-5, and the Showman throws me off too. Overall I think it's a good album, but I've not grown to adore this album as much as I would have hoped.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 07:47:57 PM »
I can't listen to "Best Thing" or "Showman".  "Landlady" is one that 's sometimes okay.  The rest of the album is quite good in my estimation.  It's personal, it rocks in some places, and it shows a great deal of lyrical depth.  Not my favorite U2 album, but still very good overall.