Poll

Does he mean there's a U2 album on the go anytime soon?  

Yes
15 (15.3%)
No
83 (84.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: "I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says  (Read 7280 times)

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
Re: "I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
Haha, looks like U2 is ready for what's next!!!

If the rumor about the 2019 tour is right, I assume "Songs of Ascent" will be released very soon

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline notaguest

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 05:23:03 AM »
I can't imagine we'll get another U2 album until late 2021 at the earliest.
watch the video at 10:04:

This is two years ago. He said on U Talkin' U2 To Me? in July that they weren't doing Songs of Ascent anymore.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 06:45:21 AM »

This is two years ago. He said on U Talkin' U2 To Me? in July that they weren't doing Songs of Ascent anymore.

Do you have a link for that, either video(youtube for example) or article with a quote?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 06:53:43 AM »

Its at 5:12 that he mentions Songs Of Ascent.

Offline notaguest

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2018, 07:50:48 AM »

Do you have a link for that, either video(youtube for example) or article with a quote?

Interviews start around 30-40 minutes in iirc.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:58:32 AM by notaguest »

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2018, 11:16:27 AM »
To me, Adam is only saying he can’t reveal the plan...

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2018, 12:46:37 PM »
Songs of Ascent doesn’t exist. It seems like people are more obsessed with the title rather than...

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2018, 01:34:13 PM »
Songs of Ascent doesn’t exist. It seems like people are more obsessed with the title rather than...

Its existed for a long time in fact. Adam mentions it in the 2016 interview arranged by this website. He stated in that interview that he did not think they would go outdoors for bigger shows on "Songs Of Experience". He said he believed the next album, "Songs of Ascent" might be a stadium tour. So "Songs Of Ascent" was very much in existence at a time when the band was wrapping up recording with "Songs Of Experience" in late 2016, just two years ago. Songs Of Ascent was first discussed all the way back in 2009 in fact.

Mercy, Winter and other songs that have yet to show up on a U2 album are speculated to be apart of Songs Of Ascent.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2018, 01:56:34 PM »

Its existed for a long time in fact. Adam mentions it in the 2016 interview arranged by this website. He stated in that interview that he did not think they would go outdoors for bigger shows on "Songs Of Experience". He said he believed the next album, "Songs of Ascent" might be a stadium tour. So "Songs Of Ascent" was very much in existence at a time when the band was wrapping up recording with "Songs Of Experience" in late 2016, just two years ago. Songs Of Ascent was first discussed all the way back in 2009 in fact.

Mercy, Winter and other songs that have yet to show up on a U2 album are speculated to be apart of Songs Of Ascent.

He did not say that. He said there could be an album called songs of Ascent. Basically meaning it could exist but it doesn’t. Mercy winter and those other songs were never confirmed to be on an album called Songs of Ascent. You can say Every Breaking Wave was written for a supposedly titled album called Songs of Ascent, but it really only exists on Songs of Innocence. Until they announce they’re releasing a Songs Of Ascent album with preorder dates, it doesn’t exist

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2018, 03:01:43 PM »

Thanks for the link! That was a lot of fun to listen to.

But, what Adam says around the 1 hour 36 minute mark is that there is not a sequel to Songs Of Experience. The album "Songs Of Ascent" is not mentioned. So this does not mean "Songs Of Ascent" is not the next album or does not exist anymore. It may be the Songs Of Ascent was always looked at as something different from Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience.

You'd have to have one of the band members actually mentioning "Songs Of Ascent" and saying that it was "dead", did not exist any more, or had been cannibalized to such a degree by SOI and SOE that it was no longer going to be made. None of that is said. So you have to revert back to the last time Songs Of Ascent was mentioned which was in late 2016 during the AtU2 interview.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2018, 03:25:22 PM »

He did not say that. He said there could be an album called songs of Ascent. Basically meaning it could exist but it doesn’t. Mercy winter and those other songs were never confirmed to be on an album called Songs of Ascent. You can say Every Breaking Wave was written for a supposedly titled album called Songs of Ascent, but it really only exists on Songs of Innocence. Until they announce they’re releasing a Songs Of Ascent album with preorder dates, it doesn’t exist

This is a direct quote from Adam in the ATU2 interview September 25, 2016:

"SONGS OF ASCENT IS ALSO IN THE PIPELINE, WERE GOING TO GO BACK TO THAT AT SOME POINT"

earlier in the interview in reference to whether Songs Of Experience would go outside he said the following:

"MY INSTINCT IS THAT ITS NOT AN OUTDOOR TOUR, THAT THAT IS A SONGS OF ASCENT OR SOMETHING ELSE COMING DOWN THE LINE"

So this idea that it "doesn't exist" is clearly false. When it will be released or if it will be released is the question. But it does exist. Also, if there has to be and official release date an pre-order set up for fans, then Songs Of Experience did not exist then either. That interview was September 25, 2016 and Songs Of Experience was not released until December 1, 2017.

So in light of these facts, Songs Of Ascent exist as much as any album from the past that does not have an official release date yet. The band were talking about this album in 2009 and nearly a decade later they are still talking about it. He also said in the interview that Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience were tied together and the release of Songs Of Experience was the end of a period. But that obviously did not mean Songs Of Ascent was not going to happen because he brought it up twice in the interview. Its just that its not actually tied to SOI or SOE.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 03:33:18 PM by wons »

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2018, 03:25:40 PM »

But, what Adam says around the 1 hour 36 minute mark is that there is not a sequel to Songs Of Experience. The album "Songs Of Ascent" is not mentioned. So this does not mean "Songs Of Ascent" is not the next album or does not exist anymore. It may be the Songs Of Ascent was always looked at as something different from Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience.

You'd have to have one of the band members actually mentioning "Songs Of Ascent" and saying that it was "dead", did not exist any more, or had been cannibalized to such a degree by SOI and SOE that it was no longer going to be made. None of that is said. So you have to revert back to the last time Songs Of Ascent was mentioned which was in late 2016 during the AtU2 interview.

I totally agree with you, SOA is another project more related to No Line album than Innocence + Experience albums...

About the interview, my favorite part is about PoP, it’s great to hear the band talk about it

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »

I totally agree with you, SOA is another project more related to No Line album than Innocence + Experience albums...

About the interview, my favorite part is about PoP, it’s great to hear the band talk about it

I was shocked to hear Edge's fondness of "Last Night On Earth". I liked it when it first came out, but then grew away from it. Something about it is very raw, undercooked, and it feels disjointed. The Chorus feels forced and like something from a different song that they hastily fused together with the versus. It does not have a natural flow or feel like the first three songs on the album.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2018, 06:15:49 PM »
I would love a new album. Let's hope they'll find the inspiration for it! It would be incredible to have both a new album and an AB tour or a tour mixing the both of them!

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2018, 03:54:26 AM »

I was shocked to hear Edge's fondness of "Last Night On Earth". I liked it when it first came out, but then grew away from it. Something about it is very raw, undercooked, and it feels disjointed. The Chorus feels forced and like something from a different song that they hastily fused together with the versus. It does not have a natural flow or feel like the first three songs on the album.
But I love the idea of Bono to play "Last Night on Earth" acoustically !!! To me, the bridge of this song is absolutly brilliant on the album version, it's a shame the band never play it that way live back in 1997.

About "Songs of Ascent" and now the rumor of stadium tour next year, I can strongly feel that we'll have a surprise released album in february/march 2019. I don't know why, it's the first time it's happening to me, but I've got this strong intuition the album is there, ready to be released.

One of the real reason why U2 was releasing an album every 4 or 5 years in the 2000s was because they wanted to spend time with their family as the kids were little. Same thing happened to Springsteen in the 90s, and right after that period of time, he was very prolific and released almost 8 albums in 10 years.

I'm pretty sure U2 will do the same,
as Springsteen always was an example to follow for them.