Poll

Does he mean there's a U2 album on the go anytime soon?  

Yes
15 (15.3%)
No
83 (84.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: "I assume there値l be another album" Larry Mullen says  (Read 7281 times)

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: "I assume there値l be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2018, 07:18:16 AM »
It's not as if SOA is a completed 12 song album sitting in somebody's external hard drive.  SOA was an intended followup to NLOTH.  NLOTH flopped, and they figured that what they had for SOA wouldn't be anymore popular, so they didn't release it. 

THEN, they mined it and used bits and pieces of it for SOI and SOE.  Every Breaking Wave is a good example of this.  Glastonbury eventually became Volcano and American Soul, Stingray Guitar eventually became Lucifer's Hands, etc.  I'm sure there are several examples of this we don't even know.  SOA at this point, only exists as a concept.  They aren't going to release a "new" album with Mercy, North Star and All my life on it.  I'm also pretty sure that some of it was siphoned to the Spiderman Soundtrack.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2018, 09:36:43 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's not as if SOA is a completed 12 song album sitting in somebody's external hard drive.  SOA was an intended followup to NLOTH.  NLOTH flopped, and they figured that what they had for SOA wouldn't be anymore popular, so they didn't release it. 

THEN, they mined it and used bits and pieces of it for SOI and SOE.  Every Breaking Wave is a good example of this.  Glastonbury eventually became Volcano and American Soul, Stingray Guitar eventually became Lucifer's Hands, etc.  I'm sure there are several examples of this we don't even know.  SOA at this point, only exists as a concept.  They aren't going to release a "new" album with Mercy, North Star and All my life on it.  I'm also pretty sure that some of it was siphoned to the Spiderman Soundtrack.

1. NLOTH was NOT a flop. It was 7th biggest selling album worldwide of 2009! It was one of the 25 biggest selling albums in the United States in 2009.
2. The tour supporting NLOTH remains to this day the highest attended, highest grossing tour EVER!
3. U2 shows on the Joshua Tree tour 2017 FAILED to match attendance levels on 360 in such cities as Pittsburgh and Dallas as well as others. Pretty interesting to see a tour supporting an album like NLOTH beat a total nostalgia tour for the Joshua Tree in several cities.

As for Songs of Ascent, the quotes from ADAM in September 2016 are there. This is a definite project they are working on not connected to Songs Of Innocence or Songs of Experience that has been in existence since at least 2009.

You don't know that they are not going to release Mercy, Winter or other songs on a new album called Songs of Ascent. The evidence we have suggest otherwise.

The idea that Songs Of Ascent does not exist or is dead, is the pure imagination of a few fans. The facts, direct qoutes from the band, show the project is still going. The band have even said they are still working on a song like Mercy and they have played it live.

Mercy and Winter are two of the bands greatest songs ever and it would be a shame if they never got officially released as part of a new album.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 09:52:08 AM »
Songs Of Ascent might exist more as a concept they wish to focus on, with many song ideas that exist from those sessions, hence why the title has been mentioned so many times, there is a concrete story-telling related to this album they wish to do. It is possible Mercy or Winter may never be on this album, but the concept is what is more probable to survive. That is something far more interesting to me too than those particular songs, except for Soon, that song really deserves to be 8 min sprawling epic that goes into unexpected directions. I would be open to the idea of U2's next reinvention to tackle jazz structures of songs in a way that Mercury Rev or Elbow has been doing often, completely unpredictable changes in rhythm, sound or time. They have been quite poppy lately, this would be quite opposite direction, that could include more prominent wind instruments on the album.

I feel this might be the next direction for U2
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 02:08:16 PM by Sunchild »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
Well, in my opinion, any U2 album that gets the songs Mercy and Winter is automatically a candidate for greatest U2 album of all time.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
"I assume there値l be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2018, 02:26:47 PM »
Well, in my opinion, any U2 album that gets the songs Mercy and Winter is automatically a candidate for greatest U2 album of all time.

This is another thing I just don稚 get.  What is all the excitement to have two songs that we already have, released again on a new album.  Ok I get that Mercy was unfinished and not an official release.  But its raw nature is what made it so good.

Winter was already a finished official release on the Brothers soundtrack.  The original version was on Linear.  So much excitement for songs we first heard years ago and have re-heard many times?  Although, I知 surprised you allowed yourself to listen to Mercy.  It was an illegal download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2018, 02:33:22 PM »

And back to back too. Winter opening the album with Mercy following it would be a stunning opening to an album.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

This is another thing I just don稚 get.  What is all the excitement to have two songs that we already have, released again on a new album.  Ok I get that Mercy was unfinished and not an official release.  But its raw nature is what made it so good.

Winter was already a finished official release on the Brothers soundtrack.  The original version was on Linear.  So much excitement for songs we first heard years ago and have re-heard many times?  Although, I知 surprised you allowed yourself to listen to Mercy.  It was an illegal download.

1. Mercy is not finished and its final form is uncertain. I listen to CD's, full albums, and I want Mercy in a final form to have an album its apart of.
2. Winter as released on the Brothers soundtrack is not the real thing. The band said what was put on Linear is a little to long and is not the final version they want.
3. The vibe on both songs is similar and I'd love an album filled with similar type songs
4. These are two of the greatest U2 songs OF ALL TIME! Both make my U2 top 20 which is impressive since the U2 song catalog is now closing in on 300 songs.
5. They may have to release a Mercy 1 and a Mercy 2. I love what they did with it live in 2010 on 360, but the chorus is a lot different. Its hard to pick between both versions.

Finally, its not illegal to download something for free if its NOT being sold by the band. Mercy is not in its final form yet and has never been officially released, so its not illegal to have a copy of it. Its the same with U2 live bootlegs. I have hundreds of shows and that's ok because the band was never trying to sell those shows or make money off of them.

I have Mercy on a CD somewhere from when I downloaded it in 2004. I'd have to find it though at the moment. So as of right now, I usually just go to youtube to listen to these beautiful gems.

I think it might be time for a Mercy/Winter love thread!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 06:32:49 PM by wons »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2018, 06:29:14 PM »

And back to back too. Winter opening the album with Mercy following it would be a stunning opening to an album.

Yes, I can see that, although if they come up with a whole album of songs in a similar vein, then they could spread them out.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2018, 07:07:07 PM »

1. Mercy is not finished and its final form is uncertain. I listen to CD's, full albums, and I want Mercy in a final form to have an album its apart of.
2. Winter as released on the Brothers soundtrack is not the real thing. The band said what was put on Linear is a little to long and is not the final version they want.
3. The vibe on both songs is similar and I'd love an album filled with similar type songs
4. These are two of the greatest U2 songs OF ALL TIME! Both make my U2 top 20 which is impressive since the U2 song catalog is now closing in on 300 songs.
5. They may have to release a Mercy 1 and a Mercy 2. I love what they did with it live in 2010 on 360, but the chorus is a lot different. Its hard to pick between both versions.

Finally, its not illegal to download something for free if its NOT being sold by the band. Mercy is not in its final form yet and has never been officially released, so its not illegal to have a copy of it. Its the same with U2 live bootlegs. I have hundreds of shows and that's ok because the band was never trying to sell those shows or make money off of them.

I have Mercy on a CD somewhere from when I downloaded it in 2004. I'd have to find it though at the moment. So as of right now, I usually just go to youtube to listen to these beautiful gems.

I think it might be time for a Mercy/Winter love thread!
To be clear, I don稚 have a problem with it but it is technically illegal.  It was property that belonged to the band that was thrown out on the internet without their permission or authorization.  Some artists are very protective of unfinished works and don稚 want anything like that out there.  This is highly inconsistent with your views about LEGAL streaming and not standing at a concert 登ut of respect.  If the band wanted people to hear that they would have released it and sold it.  If this respect issue was something that really mattered to you, instead of just something to criticize me about, you would be consistent.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2018, 08:43:49 PM »

That is because they literally came up with the chorus in the mastering suite at the last minute. You can hear Bono's voice is shot so they've drowned it in reverb.
I can't imagine we'll get another U2 album until late 2021 at the earliest.
watch the video at 10:04:

This is two years ago. He said on U Talkin' U2 To Me? in July that they weren't doing Songs of Ascent anymore.

Do you have a link for that, either video(youtube for example) or article with a quote?

Interviews start around 30-40 minutes in iirc.

Thanks for the link! That was a lot of fun to listen to.

But, what Adam says around the 1 hour 36 minute mark is that there is not a sequel to Songs Of Experience. The album "Songs Of Ascent" is not mentioned. So this does not mean "Songs Of Ascent" is not the next album or does not exist anymore. It may be the Songs Of Ascent was always looked at as something different from Songs Of Innocence and Songs Of Experience.

You'd have to have one of the band members actually mentioning "Songs Of Ascent" and saying that it was "dead", did not exist any more, or had been cannibalized to such a degree by SOI and SOE that it was no longer going to be made. None of that is said. So you have to revert back to the last time Songs Of Ascent was mentioned which was in late 2016 during the AtU2 interview.

I totally agree with you, SOA is another project more related to No Line album than Innocence + Experience albums...

About the interview, my favorite part is about PoP, it痴 great to hear the band talk about it

I was shocked to hear Edge's fondness of "Last Night On Earth". I liked it when it first came out, but then grew away from it. Something about it is very raw, undercooked, and it feels disjointed. The Chorus feels forced and like something from a different song that they hastily fused together with the versus. It does not have a natural flow or feel like the first three songs on the album.

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2018, 12:57:07 AM »
SoON
Welcome
Winter
Mercy
North Star
Mount Zion
The sun the moon and the stars
Velvet hearts
Abraham痴ons
Pilgrim lakes of progress
Everybody痴 a star
Freedom
Thank you for the day...
Every breaking waves (SOA version)

Offline NateV

• Babyface
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »
I still think there is a chance of there being a 鉄ongs of trilogy. Bono is obviously fond of the Psalms and in particular the Songs of Ascent sections. Just like taking William Blakes poem books as a general structure/ map for the last 2 albums, they might use the Psalm book for the next album. A full-on gospel album. I think I might be hearing too much into this, but isn稚 it interesting that Bono痴 final words on the tour were not the line about going away, but about singing songs of worship, and supposedly wanting to put up a cross on the stage but not wanting to be hung on it...?

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2018, 04:22:42 AM »
I still think there is a chance of there being a 鉄ongs of trilogy. Bono is obviously fond of the Psalms and in particular the Songs of Ascent sections. Just like taking William Blakes poem books as a general structure/ map for the last 2 albums, they might use the Psalm book for the next album. A full-on gospel album. I think I might be hearing too much into this, but isn稚 it interesting that Bono痴 final words on the tour were not the line about going away, but about singing songs of worship, and supposedly wanting to put up a cross on the stage but not wanting to be hung on it...?
No, you didn稚 reading too much,
Thank you for sharing,
I didn稚 notice that...
There is too many signs about Songs of ascent😉

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #73 on: November 18, 2018, 08:26:40 AM »
Is that a statement of fact or your personal opinion?  With the way you present it, I get the feeling it is a statement of fact that we all have to believe.  Personal opinions are what makes this forum work.  But a supposed statement of fact shoved down my throat doesn't sit well with me. Your expression of "opinions" is most certainly lacking something in its delivery.
I think it's quite obvious that it was meant as a matter of opinion. The delivery was fine.

Now, if he had said, "Zoo Station is the greatest song of all time," THAT is something to be interpreted as fact.

;)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2018, 08:49:14 AM »
I think hollywoodswag was joking about Zoo Station!

Because Mofo is the greatest U2 song of all time, clearly :)