Poll

Does he mean there's a U2 album on the go anytime soon?  

Yes
15 (15.3%)
No
83 (84.7%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: "I assume thereíll be another album" Larry Mullen says  (Read 7282 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
Re: "I assume thereíll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, in my opinion, any U2 album that gets the songs Mercy and Winter is automatically a candidate for greatest U2 album of all time.

This is another thing I just donít get.  What is all the excitement to have two songs that we already have, released again on a new album.  Ok I get that Mercy was unfinished and not an official release.  But its raw nature is what made it so good.

Winter was already a finished official release on the Brothers soundtrack.  The original version was on Linear.  So much excitement for songs we first heard years ago and have re-heard many times?  Although, Iím surprised you allowed yourself to listen to Mercy.  It was an illegal download.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Mercy is not finished and its final form is uncertain. I listen to CD's, full albums, and I want Mercy in a final form to have an album its apart of.
2. Winter as released on the Brothers soundtrack is not the real thing. The band said what was put on Linear is a little to long and is not the final version they want.
3. The vibe on both songs is similar and I'd love an album filled with similar type songs
4. These are two of the greatest U2 songs OF ALL TIME! Both make my U2 top 20 which is impressive since the U2 song catalog is now closing in on 300 songs.
5. They may have to release a Mercy 1 and a Mercy 2. I love what they did with it live in 2010 on 360, but the chorus is a lot different. Its hard to pick between both versions.

Finally, its not illegal to download something for free if its NOT being sold by the band. Mercy is not in its final form yet and has never been officially released, so its not illegal to have a copy of it. Its the same with U2 live bootlegs. I have hundreds of shows and that's ok because the band was never trying to sell those shows or make money off of them.

I have Mercy on a CD somewhere from when I downloaded it in 2004. I'd have to find it though at the moment. So as of right now, I usually just go to youtube to listen to these beautiful gems.

I think it might be time for a Mercy/Winter love thread!
To be clear, I donít have a problem with it but it is technically illegal.  It was property that belonged to the band that was thrown out on the internet without their permission or authorization.  Some artists are very protective of unfinished works and donít want anything like that out there.  This is highly inconsistent with your views about LEGAL streaming and not standing at a concert ďout of respectĒ.  If the band wanted people to hear that they would have released it and sold it.  If this respect issue was something that really mattered to you, instead of just something to criticize me about, you would be consistent.

WRONG! Here's why. Ever concert the band performs is technically their property. Do they release them all? No, not even close. But the band approves of fans taping and collecting their shows even though 99% of them have never been released. Have record companies or bands ever gone ever people about live bootlegs? No. Artist and record companies care about PRODUCT they are trying to sell and make money off of. If its something THEY want you to buy with your money, but you STEAL it instead by obtaining it for free, that is an act of disrespect and illegal. Its what you enjoy doing in addition to sitting on your ASS at concerts.

So no, listening to a U2 live bootleg of their Phoenix Park show from 1983 or listening to Mercy is NOT illegal, or disrespectful. Neither that show or song is being sold by the band. There is no option for the fans, to buy it. So obtaining a copy of it is ok and consistent with the bands view on this issue for decades.

The first version of Mercy made it out to the public when Bono met a girl outside the studio a week before the release of How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. He gave her a ride back to Temple Bar area and Dublin and when she was getting out of her car, he handed her a CD, which happened to be the new album, but with one small difference. The last song on the album was Mercy. She discovered that it was not on the album when it was released and uploaded it to the internet asking around if anyone had heard it and what it was. Even more mysterious is that the Delux version of the album had a book that came with it with art, pictures and some song lyrics and in it were the lyrics to Mercy. It was later revealed that the band had intended for Mercy to be on HTDAAB by decided at the end not to keep it on there. So Bono had given her a copy of the album with a version of Mercy on it.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #76 on: November 18, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »

1. Mercy is not finished and its final form is uncertain. I listen to CD's, full albums, and I want Mercy in a final form to have an album its apart of.
2. Winter as released on the Brothers soundtrack is not the real thing. The band said what was put on Linear is a little to long and is not the final version they want.
3. The vibe on both songs is similar and I'd love an album filled with similar type songs
4. These are two of the greatest U2 songs OF ALL TIME! Both make my U2 top 20 which is impressive since the U2 song catalog is now closing in on 300 songs.
5. They may have to release a Mercy 1 and a Mercy 2. I love what they did with it live in 2010 on 360, but the chorus is a lot different. Its hard to pick between both versions.

Finally, its not illegal to download something for free if its NOT being sold by the band. Mercy is not in its final form yet and has never been officially released, so its not illegal to have a copy of it. Its the same with U2 live bootlegs. I have hundreds of shows and that's ok because the band was never trying to sell those shows or make money off of them.

I have Mercy on a CD somewhere from when I downloaded it in 2004. I'd have to find it though at the moment. So as of right now, I usually just go to youtube to listen to these beautiful gems.

Said I wasn't...

"Music piracy is the copying and distributing of recordings of a piece of music for which the rights owners (composer, recording artist, or copyright-holding record company) did not give consent. In the contemporary legal environment, it is a form of copyright infringement, which may be either a civil wrong or a crime depending on jurisdiction." - Source: Wikipedia - Music Piracy

The bold, all caps text is screaming pain at my eyes and ears.  I think I need to go see an ear, nose, throat doctor and have my eyes/ears checked.  You know, just to be sure.

Winter sounds like Radiohead lite, imo.  I can picture Thom Yorke singing in his reedy voice and Nigel Godrich behind the mixing boards.

"These are two of the greatest U2 songs OF ALL TIME!"  Is that a statement of fact or your personal opinion?  With the way you present it, I get the feeling it is a statement of fact that we all have to believe.  Personal opinions are what makes this forum work.  But a supposed statement of fact shoved down my throat doesn't sit well with me. Your expression of "opinions" is most certainly lacking something in its delivery.

I have hundreds of U2 live bootlegs. The band has always given consent for fans to obtain and trade product that they have not released or are about toe release and or attempting to make money off of.

If you have any problems with my posts, don't read them. Because I'm going to continue to express my opinion and highlight things that I want. You crying about it is not going to change that.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2018, 10:44:58 AM »

Said I wasn't...

"Music piracy is the copying and distributing of recordings of a piece of music for which the rights owners (composer, recording artist, or copyright-holding record company) did not give consent. In the contemporary legal environment, it is a form of copyright infringement, which may be either a civil wrong or a crime depending on jurisdiction." - Source: Wikipedia - Music Piracy

The bold, all caps text is screaming pain at my eyes and ears.  I think I need to go see an ear, nose, throat doctor and have my eyes/ears checked.  You know, just to be sure.

Winter sounds like Radiohead lite, imo.  I can picture Thom Yorke singing in his reedy voice and Nigel Godrich behind the mixing boards.

"These are two of the greatest U2 songs OF ALL TIME!"  Is that a statement of fact or your personal opinion?  With the way you present it, I get the feeling it is a statement of fact that we all have to believe.  Personal opinions are what makes this forum work.  But a supposed statement of fact shoved down my throat doesn't sit well with me. Your expression of "opinions" is most certainly lacking something in its delivery.

I have hundreds of U2 live bootlegs. The band has always given consent for fans to obtain and trade product that they have not released or are about toe release and or attempting to make money off of.

If you have any problems with my posts, don't read them. Because I'm going to continue to express my opinion and highlight things that I want. You crying about it is not going to change that.

Thank you Wons.  You have just proven that you decide right from wrong for yourself based on what you think feels right, not on the law.  Therefore why donít you drop the sanctimonious judgement on Spotify, which is legal and the band has given explicit approval for, or sitting at a concert, and let everybody decide for themselves, just like you do.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #78 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
Tortuga, I stopped being able to take Wons seriously a while back.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #79 on: November 18, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
Tortuga, I stopped being able to take Wons seriously a while back.
I know, youíre right.  I keep thinking that if I donít give up and keep reasoning I can win Wonís respect.  Donít ask me why I care.  Thatís just one of lifeís little mysteries.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #80 on: November 18, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
You like to engage in intelligent discourse based on reason, that's why. There's always the possibility of learning new things or helping to broaden another person's perspective.

But as much as this seems to be just that, it's not what's going on here.

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #81 on: November 18, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
Hey guys, whatís the problem with Mercy?
You feel guilty when you listen to the song because you didnít bought it
Or you never listened to the song because U2 didnít released it?

Well, if itís the case, which I doubt, youíre missing a masterpiece!

Come on, youíre arguing for nothing!

All we want is a U2 new album😀

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #82 on: November 18, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »

All we want is a U2 new album

It goes back to earlier posts.  Really has nothing to do with Mercy.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #83 on: November 18, 2018, 04:19:36 PM »

Said I wasn't...

No crying here.  Just laughing my butt off on how you twist yourself in circles trying to justify your comments and behavior.

I'm glad your so delighted with me after having only been a member for 10 days in this forum. A bit odd that you would follow someone around like this being such a new member of the forum.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #84 on: November 18, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »

Said I wasn't...

Thank you Wons.  You have just proven that you decide right from wrong for yourself based on what you think feels right, not on the law.  Therefore why donít you drop the sanctimonious judgement on Spotify, which is legal and the band has given explicit approval for, or sitting at a concert, and let everybody decide for themselves, just like you do.

Stop telling me what I can or can't say. I have an opinion and I have every right to express it. If I think someone is doing something that is disrespectful to the band, I'm going to say so. Spotify is not good for most artist compared to the previous system where everyone purchased music. I've proven that a million times over with the facts. I never said it was against the law to sit at a concert or get your music through spotify. I've said that sitting at a concert when your not ill or disabled is disrespectful to the band and that Spotify and other methods rob artist of much of the money they would have made from their product if the fans instead purchased the music.

I'm sorry you have become obsessed with me and are now reading all my post in effort to find some technicality to call me out on. Nice try with Mercy. Sorry it didn't work.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #85 on: November 18, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »

All we want is a U2 new album

It goes back to earlier posts.  Really has nothing to do with Mercy.

Yep, nothing to do with thread topic, just your obession with my post and your mistaken belief you found something to call me out on.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2018, 04:41:02 PM »

Said I wasn't...

Stop telling me what I can or can't say. I have an opinion and I have every right to express it. If I think someone is doing something that is disrespectful to the band, I'm going to say so. Spotify is not good for most artist compared to the previous system where everyone purchased music. I've proven that a million times over with the facts. I never said it was against the law to sit at a concert or get your music through spotify. I've said that sitting at a concert when your not ill or disabled is disrespectful to the band and that Spotify and other methods rob artist of much of the money they would have made from their product if the fans instead purchased the music.

I'm sorry you have become obsessed with me and are now reading all my post in effort to find some technicality to call me out on. Nice try with Mercy. Sorry it didn't work.

Best to follow Laoghaireís advice Travis.  Weíre just giving him what he wants.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #87 on: November 18, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »

Said I wasn't...

No crying here.  Just laughing my butt off on how you twist yourself in circles trying to justify your comments and behavior.

I'm glad your so delighted with me after having only been a member for 10 days in this forum. A bit odd that you would follow someone around like this being such a new member of the forum.

Don't flatter yourself.  I'm not following your around on the forum.  I've spent the last 10 days reading just about every thread on this forum.  It doesn't take a genius to see what you've done here.  It's your fault, not mine.  It's your constant disrespect for everyone on this forum.  It's you trying to slam your comments on everyone, with a self imposed demanding authority.  Don't try to f*** with my head.  The problem is you.  It's clear from every thread that I've read, in which you appear, that there's always a problem.  You made your own bed, by your own actions.  I haven't followed you anywhere.  It's you tearing everything apart.  Again, the problem is you.  Don't try to throw me under the bus because of your poor behavior.  Get over yourself.

How could anyone not be flattered after receiving a post like this.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »

Said I wasn't...

Best to follow Laoghaireís advice Travis.  Weíre just giving him what he wants.

Sounds like your talking to yourself.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #89 on: November 18, 2018, 05:49:38 PM »
Songs Of Ascent might exist more as a concept they wish to focus on, with many song ideas that exist from those sessions, hence why the title has been mentioned so many times, there is a concrete story-telling related to this album they wish to do. It is possible Mercy or Winter may never be on this album, but the concept is what is more probable to survive. That is something far more interesting to me too than those particular songs, except for Soon, that song really deserves to be 8 min sprawling epic that goes into unexpected directions. I would be open to the idea of U2's next reinvention to tackle jazz structures of songs in a way that Mercury Rev or Elbow has been doing often, completely unpredictable changes in rhythm, sound or time. They have been quite poppy lately, this would be quite opposite direction, that could include more prominent wind instruments on the album.

I feel this might be the next direction for U2

That Elbow track is magic, thanks for pointing it out.  I love Guy Garvey's English accented vocals.  The structure and composition of the song is excellent.  I also looked up the lyrics and I really like them.  My last exposure to Elbow was in the early 2000's with Cast Of Thousands.  Due to various reasons I haven't followed through on a lot of bands from that time period.  And I wish I had.  Elbow is a great example.

Not many people are aware of Mercury Rev either.  I love their pyschedelia music.  My last exposure to them was awhile ago, I think with '95s See You On The Other Side.  It looks like they have some long gaps in releasing albums.  If you have a specific recent track of theirs that you recommend, please post it up.  I would really like to hear it.

Thanks!

This is from their last album from 2015 The Light In You.

Mercury Rev is one of those bands that are consistently great to me, if not getting more fascinating artistically, they basically have no concrete style to maintain, they're not limited by style or an identity of the band, only by a musical honesty of them as a group, I value so much their approach to music as an art form, they create an otherwordly fairytale landscape that makes you feel so good that you don't wish to leave it. They very much remind me of Leonard Cohen. I'd appreciate if U2 went deeper into their folk roots and made a similar music in their later age.

Few days ago they just released the first single from their new album coming up, which is a tribute album to Bobbie Gentry, where they use only different singers for the songs.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 05:55:37 PM by Sunchild »