Poll

Does he mean there's a U2 album on the go anytime soon?  

Yes
20 (18.3%)
No
89 (81.7%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Author Topic: "I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says  (Read 13481 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: "I assume there’ll be another album" Larry Mullen says
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »
Thanks Sunchild for sharing this.  Kind of reminds me of a cross between Death Cab and Doves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2018, 03:30:38 PM »
What is so great about Winter? I admit, there’s a really nice riff from The Edge there and the instrumentation has the bones of a good tune but Bono ruins it with an awful cut and paste chorus.

There are times when restrained moodiness would always be preferable and this is one of them rather than a risible attempt at a reach for the sky chorus.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What is so great about Winter? I admit, there’s a really nice riff from The Edge there and the instrumentation has the bones of a good tune but Bono ruins it with an awful cut and paste chorus.

There are times when restrained moodiness would always be preferable and this is one of them rather than a risible attempt at a reach for the sky chorus.

The Chorus is the best part, makes the song a total classic! Some of Bono's best singing on this song ever! Without that Chorus it would not be in my top 20 U2 songs of all time.

By the way, here are my top 20 U2 songs of all time:

01. Where The Streets Have No Name 5:38
02. New Years Day 5:38
03. Pride 3:48
04. With Or Without You 4:56
05. The Unforgettable Fire 4:55
06. Heartland 5:02
07. Miracle Drug 3:59
08. A Sort Of Homecoming 5:28
09. Ultraviolet Light 5:31
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own 5:08
11. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses 5:16
12. Acrobat 4:30
13. Mercy 6:32
14. Winter 6:19
15. One 4:36
16. Kite 4:23
17. Walk On 4:55
18. Tomorrow 4:39
19. Like A Song 4:48
20. Drowning Man 4:12
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 12:23:47 AM by wons »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2018, 09:37:00 PM »

I agree. For me, Winter, besides being a forgettable track, sounds too much like Coldplay’s Viva La Vida, which is, I suspect, why it was left off NLOTH.  I would not expect to see it included on a future album because it is old music that has already been released in other formats and it wasn’t very good to start with.  Really is this the best we can hope for on the next U2 album?  B-sides or rejects from previous efforts?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2018, 01:45:40 PM »

I agree. For me, Winter, besides being a forgettable track, sounds too much like Coldplay’s Viva La Vida, which is, I suspect, why it was left off NLOTH.  I would not expect to see it included on a future album because it is old music that has already been released in other formats and it wasn’t very good to start with.  Really is this the best we can hope for on the next U2 album?  B-sides or rejects from previous efforts?

These songs are not B-sides or rejects. Mercy got a fair amount of play at concerts on the 360 tour. U2 don't play rejected songs in concert and they rarely play B-sides.

As for Winter, Brian Eno said it was the best thing U2 had done for No Line On The Horizon and they were CRAZY to leave it off the album.

Both Mercy and Winter are not in their final forms yet, so its not going to be some carbon copy of what you have heard. An album with both of those songs, two of the best songs U2 have ever written or recorded, on an album with songs in similar style would have the potential of being the best album U2 ever put together. The band have mentioned that Mercy is still being worked on and will be on a future U2 album release. I think the same is likely for Winter too.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »

These songs are not B-sides or rejects. Mercy got a fair amount of play at concerts on the 360 tour. U2 don't play rejected songs in concert and they rarely play B-sides.

As for Winter, Brian Eno said it was the best thing U2 had done for No Line On The Horizon and they were CRAZY to leave it off the album.

Both Mercy and Winter are not in their final forms yet, so its not going to be some carbon copy of what you have heard. An album with both of those songs, two of the best songs U2 have ever written or recorded, on an album with songs in similar style would have the potential of being the best album U2 ever put together. The band have mentioned that Mercy is still being worked on and will be on a future U2 album release. I think the same is likely for Winter too.
That will be awesome for you!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
Isn’t a song that was rejected from being on an album the literal definition of a “reject”?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
Isn’t a song that was rejected from being on an album the literal definition of a “reject”?

Do not engage!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2018, 05:58:30 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2018, 10:49:04 PM »

Its not a rejection as in the song is poor etc. It had more to do with U2 being concerned about how the songs mixed with the others on the album. Still, Brian Eno says they were crazy not to have Winter on No Line On The Horizon.

Winter and Mercy, two of U2's greatest songs so far without a home. I think that home is going to be Songs Of Ascent.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:21 PM »

Its not a rejection as in the song is poor etc. It had more to do with U2 being concerned about how the songs mixed with the others on the album. Still, Brian Eno says they were crazy not to have Winter on No Line On The Horizon.

Winter and Mercy, two of U2's greatest songs so far without a home. I think that home is going to be Songs Of Ascent.

Both of them already have a home on a CD, my hard drive, and my phone.  Being released again on a new album will add absolutely nothing for me.  But I get that it is somehow important for you and that’s fine.  I wish you luck in that dream coming true.

u2music

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2018, 05:57:39 AM »
But... But... Winter and Mercy are the greatest U2 songs evah.  It's true because I said so.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:00:15 AM by u2music »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2018, 06:22:26 AM »
But... But... Winter and Mercy are the greatest U2 songs evah.  It's true because I said so.

Must be true then  8)

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2018, 09:37:09 AM »

Both of them already have a home on a CD, my hard drive, and my phone.  Being released again on a new album will add absolutely nothing for me.  But I get that it is somehow important for you and that’s fine.  I wish you luck in that dream coming true.

You don't have the final versions of these songs mixed in with the other songs on Songs Of Ascent. If you are still an album listener, as opposed to just listening to individual songs, where those songs are placed on an album and which songs they come after and before can change the experience of listening to them.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2018, 09:41:53 AM »

Sorry my love for two U2 songs has so deeply upset you.