Author Topic: Is the sound of concerts too loud?  (Read 1762 times)

rockatansky

Re: Is the sound of concerts too loud?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 09:23:19 AM »
It's a rock 'n roll show folks. It's supposed to be loud.  U2 has to crank up the volume to reach a massive audience. U2 360 tour at the Rose Bowl had over 97,000 people in the audience, many of course way in the back of the stadium.  U2's got to reach them.  That's the beauty of a U2 concert.

I've been attending concerts for over 40 years.  If you're too close, then wear earplugs.  But complaining about a loud U2 rock 'n roll show is ridiculous.  I saw U2 in their 1983 War Tour in a venue with just over 300 people.  The sound was loud but perfect for that venue.  U2 has to adjust sound for the venue and that means reaching everyone.  I say let it rip, the bigger the audience, the louder the better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:29:34 AM by rockatansky »

Offline Mark_Qiu

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 01:22:42 PM »
Folks, what Iím complaining about is mainly not the volume, instead, itís the sound effect. Iíve been to concerts in small and big venues which were also incredibly loud, yet in the same time, not making me uncomfortable. The key to that, imho, is the high frequency. As long as the volume rises up from 60dB, the high frequency sound will be more sensitive compared to other frequency sound to human ears. To make it comfortable to human ears, high frequency must be cut down more as the volume rises.

For example, a song sounds alright when played at 60dB and the equalizer is set to a certain parameter, and if you turn the volume up to, say like 110dB, and leave the equalizer alone, not doing anything about it, ITíS GONNA SOUND BAD! Try it! You will say ďwow that sounds too sharp and hurting!Ē. You gotta work on the equalizer! Such as 1k -5dB, 2k -7dB, 4k -10dB. etc.
The reason why it sounds so bad when songs played loud is that the high frequency is too sharp! Too much hurting! When Edge played the high notes on his guitar, it feels as if heís sticking a knife into my ear! And I was like, man! this is not how I expected to hear!

Yeah, I wish someone told me about this problem before I went to the U2 concert and told me to wear earplugs. That way I would have enjoyed it much better.

But isnít it the audio technicianís job to make sure that the audiences donít suffer from the live music they hear? Or at least signs or notices should be on the tickets or something to tell people to BRING EARPLUGS, because otherwise tonight your hearing ability to high frequency will be to at least a slight degree permanently damaged???
What do I pay two hundred euros for???

The audio technician can really f3ck up a band, and a buch of fans, in just one night.

Loud does not have to mean hurting and uncomfortable. It can be loud, and at the same time, it can be comfortable.

Offline Mark_Qiu

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 01:33:28 PM »
Donít tell me to get my ears checked. My ears are good. Iím glad that Iím still sensitive to high pitch sounds. Iím glad that my hearing ability is not so damaged. Protecting fansí hearing ability is every live musicianís duty, for the damage is irreversible, unless they want to hurt their fansí ears, or their audio technician failed his job.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 01:44:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I went to the ei Tour in Hamburg on Oct 3rd. I was siting on the 9th line counting from the standing area, right in front of the giant screen. The sound of the concert was to me however sort of too loud, especially the high frequency, which sounded like a huge amount of metal pieces breaking and tearing massively. It was so loud, that the tones of Edgeís guitar and Bonoís vocal were even out of shape, not as beautiful as when they are played in an appropriate loudness. Also, I couldnít hear as clear each part of the band as I could when I listen with my headphone. And the loudness is definitely hearing ability damaging. Every time Edge plays a high note, it feels like a giant knife flying out shearing the audience from the PA. To my surprise the band was acting as if it was all alright, and Edge was jumping and dancing like he was having a good time. Itís hard for me to imagine how the band members could enjoy it when there are like 20 stereos above their heads making exploding sound.

Iíve been a U2 fan since 16-year-old and itís been 6 years. Since I came from China, I never expected to see them unless I go abroad. And now Iím a lucky b****** here in Germany and finally made it to see them. The whole concert was magnificent, brilliant and mad, they played many Achtung Baby songs to dedicate to the Germany Reunion Day, including Zoo Station which is my favorite song. It was dream coming true there, except for one thing, the loudness, or more precisely, the sound effect of the concert...

According to the Equal-Loudness-Contours, people get more sensitive to sound between 1kHz to 5kHz as the sound gets louder from 60dB, that means the audio technician should cut down the high frequency more than other frequencies in a loud concert. Apparently the audio technician didnít do a great job that night. I only came across these problems in small livehouses in my hometown, didnít know it occurs as well in world top rock band live performances... I was expecting a loud, yet clear, comfortable and beautiful sound effect there at U2 concert. Honestly I gotta say, about the sound effect, I am truely disappointed... Whatís going on? Was it an accident at Hamburg that night, or it was originally supposed to be that? I really donít think it is good work from the audio technician who works for the world top class band.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

YES!  The sound was absolutely ear crushing at my show to the point that it was totally distorted.  Watching that video of Dallas talking about how ďthis guitaristĒ has to re-create his sounds authentically on tour was so ridiculous.  The sound at my show was so bad I could barely tell what song it was.  Honestly, I walked out feeling ripped off because of the sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn, you never miss a chance to sh** on the band. I suggest getting your hearing checked out and next time wear proper hearing protection like the band, crew, venue staff and informed fans. I started wearing hearing protection in 2003 to bars, nightclubs and all concerts. I wish I started doing that 10 years earlier. Once you feel and hear the value of a good pair of musicians ear plugs, you will never leave home without them.

I always wear earplugs.  And I suggest you look at all my posts, including the ones where I admire the band or disagree with other criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of earplugs? Make sure they are high quality professional musicians ear plugs. Also get your hearing checked by a professional. Your ears may be the problem rather than Joe O'Herlihy.

I have not read all your post, but they always seem to be negative in some way about the band. Maybe not, but I would guess your post would be in the ratio of 2 to 1 negative over positive.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2018, 06:04:22 AM »
It was a bit distorted in Manchester light night in places - particularly near the beginning.  I was at the back of block 116 (parallel with the I-stage) and the sound made my experience of Lights of Home a bit less enjoyable (this was one of the songs I was really looking forward to hearing).  At times I had a job hearing clearly what Bono was saying down on the e-stage which was further away.

rockatansky

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2018, 06:45:07 AM »
I suggest that U2's audio technicians are doing everything possible to optimize the sound experience for the people attending the concert.  For a stadium with 97,000 people that is a f****** hard job and I'm sure they do their best.  Admittedly, the last U2 concert I attended was the Elevation Tour.  I was up close and suffered nothing like what is talked about in this thread.  Maybe, things have changed over the many years since then.  U2 has a huge crew who are OBVIOUSLY aware of the issues discussed here.  They are some of the best audio people in the world. U2 is still the biggest rock band in the world.  U2's forte is stadium rock and they excel at it.  Folks WEAR the damn earplugs if you want and then be done with it.  Personally, I've attended concerts large and small over the past 40 years.  And my hearing is stellar. 

I'm sorry that I don't have the technobabble to address other comments here properly. But, I am 100% sure about the fact U2 and their massive support staff know what they are doing.  Anyways, how do you optimize sound for a concert with 97,000 people?  You do you're best technically.  U2 have been at it for 40 years, specializing in stadium rock.  They know what the hell they are doing.

I would love to see U2's audio people discuss equalizers and dB's on this thread.  I'm sure everyone's brains would be spinning with that conversation.

rockatansky

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 06:50:24 AM »

I have not read all your post, but they always seem to be negative in some way about the band. Maybe not, but I would guess your post would be in the ratio of 2 to 1 negative over positive.

And how is this relevant to the topic of loud concerts?  Comments like this are the reason I usually avoid any social media.  I thought I'd give this forum a shot but you know what?  It's the same sh** everywhere.  People are so f****** predictable.  Take it to the sandbox.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2018, 08:10:32 AM »

And how is this relevant to the topic of loud concerts?  Comments like this are the reason I usually avoid any social media.  I thought I'd give this forum a shot but you know what?  It's the same sh** everywhere.  People are so f****** predictable.  Take it to the sandbox.

Because there is nothing wrong with the sound or volume of U2 concerts. They don't play any louder than they have before at anytime in their career. So I find the criticism disingenuous and made a comment about the heavy flak U2 receives from one forum member. They responded to that and I responded back. A little off track, maybe. But nothing different than you find in the majority of conversations between humans or in threads on a message board.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2018, 08:22:14 AM »
What is your evidence that there is nothing wrong? If it's just your experience, how does your experience trump others'?

Sound varies widely by location in the arena, not to mention by performance (otherwise they wouldn't need to do sound checks every time).

It sounded ok to me in my seat on my date but I'm not going to dismiss a thread full of people who obviously didn't share my experience.

Offline Mark_Qiu

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2018, 08:41:45 AM »
I suggest that U2's audio technicians are doing everything possible to optimize the sound experience for the people attending the concert.  For a stadium with 97,000 people that is a f****** hard job and I'm sure they do their best.
 U2 has a huge crew who are OBVIOUSLY aware of the issues discussed here.  They are some of the best audio people in the world. U2 is still the biggest rock band in the world.  U2's forte is stadium rock and they excel at it.
But, I am 100% sure about the fact U2 and their massive support staff know what they are doing.
U2 have been at it for 40 years, specializing in stadium rock.  They know what the hell they are doing.
Yes! Exactly! Thatís what exactly how I thought before I went to that first U2 concert of mine.
I mean, come on, itís U2, they are one the largest bands not just in the world, but also throughout the entire rock ní roll history. They definitely hired the worldís best audio crews and technicians, and they have 40 years of experience, and that makes them without doubt the worldís best.
Yeah, and thatís how I thought before I went. The last thing I thought I needed to worry about when attending a U2 concert, is the live sound not being good. Itíd be ridiculous it if sounded bad.
And oh boy, at the night of the concert, even until the entire concert ended, I still couldnít believe that the hurting exploding sharp sound is what I heard at a U2 concert. I tried and tried to convince myself that ďthere is actually nothing wrongĒ. But I couldnít. It was indeed, shamefully, bad.

The more I expected, the more hurt Iíll be when let down.
And I expected the sound at a U2 concert to be splendid. And I was terribly let down. And Iím desperately looking for an answer, that why it was that? Why would the sound effect be bad at my first U2 concert, which has been my dream for many years since I was a teenager? Otherwise I wouldnít be posting this thread here.

rockatansky

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
I suggest that U2's audio technicians are doing everything possible to optimize the sound experience for the people attending the concert.  For a stadium with 97,000 people that is a f****** hard job and I'm sure they do their best.
 U2 has a huge crew who are OBVIOUSLY aware of the issues discussed here.  They are some of the best audio people in the world. U2 is still the biggest rock band in the world.  U2's forte is stadium rock and they excel at it.
But, I am 100% sure about the fact U2 and their massive support staff know what they are doing.
U2 have been at it for 40 years, specializing in stadium rock.  They know what the hell they are doing.
Yes! Exactly! Thatís what exactly how I thought before I went to that first U2 concert of mine.
I mean, come on, itís U2, they are one the largest bands not just in the world, but also throughout the entire rock ní roll history. They definitely hired the worldís best audio crews and technicians, and they have 40 years of experience, and that makes them without doubt the worldís best.
Yeah, and thatís how I thought before I went. The last thing I thought I needed to worry about when attending a U2 concert, is the live sound not being good. Itíd be ridiculous it if sounded bad.
And oh boy, at the night of the concert, even until the entire concert ended, I still couldnít believe that the hurting exploding sharp sound is what I heard at a U2 concert. I tried and tried to convince myself that ďthere is actually nothing wrongĒ. But I couldnít. It was indeed, shamefully, bad.

The more I expected, the more hurt Iíll be when let down.
And I expected the sound at a U2 concert to be splendid. And I was terribly let down. And Iím desperately looking for an answer, that why it was that? Why would the sound effect be bad at my first U2 concert, which has been my dream for many years since I was a teenager? Otherwise I wouldnít be posting this thread here.

I completely understand and that must be very frustrating for you.  You made some very good points in your original post and obviously you have some background in music/audio.  Maybe I overstated what I "feel" U2 has in strengths in the stadium arena.  They might not have the stellar audio crew, they should have or used to have.  Maybe they slacked off, for some reason, in that aspect.  And you are definitely right that you shouldn't have experienced what you did, especially at your first U2 concert.  And I believe the experience you described, that must have been a huge let down.  Wish I had some better answers.  In a way past life, I was an electrical engineer but those days/knowledge are gone.

It's good you are posting here with your experience and the effect it had on you.  I would be severely let down if my first U2 concert was as bad as you experienced.  Try not to let it jade you on the band.  Maybe it was just a bad night for the band and their audio crew.  Wish I had more answers...

Offline Mark_Qiu

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 10:20:36 AM »
If any of you reads German, it's worth checking this out.

It's an Article from Rolling Stones, says
"'Ear pain and vertigo':a Twitter user writes, that the visitors had to leave the U2 concert at Barclaycard Arena in Hamburg, even during the show."
"Not only the Twitter user left, but also 'people left rows by rows', and they complained about the ear pain and the vertigo."

Seems like I'm not the only person who had a problem with the sound effect with the U2 concert at Hamburg first night.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 11:34:00 AM »
What is your evidence that there is nothing wrong? If it's just your experience, how does your experience trump others'?

Sound varies widely by location in the arena, not to mention by performance (otherwise they wouldn't need to do sound checks every time).

It sounded ok to me in my seat on my date but I'm not going to dismiss a thread full of people who obviously didn't share my experience.

I know what its like to listen to these shows without professional musicians ear plugs and with professional musicians ear plugs. I started having problems with sound levels back in 2002-2003. Most likely this is do to the persons age and hearing, or exposure to prior heavy sound levels.

The fact that the majority of the people attending these shows enjoyed it and never felt the need to leave shows, its likely individuals with hearing issues and not U2's sound team.

1. As I said before, no one should be going to these shows without ear plugs, prefereably musicians ear plugs. Even people who feel they don't need them(the majority unforutnately) should wear them.

2. As U2 fans get older and more of them don't wear hearing protection, the number of people complaining about the sound will increase. A certain percentage of the crowd already has hearing issues that they did not 10 years ago and this will impact how they hear the concert.

3. We already have 30% to 40% of the crowd at most of those shows sitting down now when NO one would be sitting 7 or 8 years ago. Age related issues probably influence that. Guess what, age impacts hearing to. Joe and the sound team are probably the best in the industry. The quality of their work has not changed. But fans are older now and certain percentage of them are going through hearing changes.

To some up, if it was too loud, or you thought the sound was bad at a U2 show, its far more likely to be do to your hearing or the fact that you did not wear ear plugs than it is to U2 and their soundteam. The band and Joe can't force you to wear ear plugs, but you should. They do. The band and Joe can't adjust the sound and sound level for the smaller percentage of the crowd that has had changes in their hearing.

That does not mean U2 and Joe are perfect, they are not. But all of these concerts from the first tour to the latest have always been played at sound levels where everyone in the audience should be wearing ear plugs. People who are younger are less likely to notice the impact of high sound levels. As you get older, those symptoms become more pronounced. The U2 fan base, in the United States at least, is in the 40 to 55 age group mostly. Its not that U2 and Joe lost their ability somehow, its that your not 22 anymore and should have been wearing ear plugs at concerts since you were 22.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 11:37:32 AM by wons »

Offline K2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • light my way
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 11:50:01 AM »
Usually U2 sound is excellent Ė but sometimes it's not. It may be a case of exactly where you're located in the hall. I was horrified by the loudness and distortion from my seats on the e+i tour in San Jose. I had top price seats  on the side about 20 rows up from the e stage. Singing and speaking were incomprehensible. So frustrating.

At one other concert I was blasted out - Soldier Field, Joshua Tree 30th anniversary. I think it had something to do with being under a balcony (the section above us overhung our section). It was not just overwhelmingly loud, it sounded distorted and out of tune.

Moral of the story: ALWAYS BRING EARPLUGS - high quality (Hearos High Fidelity or better) - you never know when you will need them. Given the price of tickets, it's well worth it.

Offline Mark_Qiu

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 02:32:52 PM »

People who are younger are less likely to notice the impact of high sound levels. As you get older, those symptoms become more pronounced. The U2 fan base, in the United States at least, is in the 40 to 55 age group mostly. Its not that U2 and Joe lost their ability somehow, its that your not 22 anymore and should have been wearing ear plugs at concerts since you were 22.

Man, this you explained it to perfection!That's why!

Either the band members, the audio crew, or the majority of the audience, are in the age of 40, 50 or even nearly 60. So the live sound effect is targeted to people in their 40s, 50s or even 60s. Therefore the high frequency of the live concerts is set up to more than normal, to adjust and compensate the loss of sensitivity to high frequency of the most audience. Only few of the audience are the age of 20s. And therefore the younger audience there feel the high frequency too sharp, too loud, and too much.

And that perfectly answered my question... thanks, buddy.