Author Topic: The Edge Miming? I  (Read 1301 times)

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
The Edge Miming? I
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:04:05 PM »
Anyone else notice Edge miming the falsetto on The Fly? Pretty amateurish stuff if he was.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: The Edge Miming? I
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:58:28 PM »
Beautiful Day, Red Flag Day, Lights of Home, Love Is Bigger... Same with those

Heck, even Bono sings along with a recorded vocal harmony of himself in The Blackout. Can clearly be heard in one of the Amsterdam videos

Don't agree with it but...

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:44 AM »
Maybe he is singing along with a pre-recorded track? For example, in the chorus of Beautiful Day the "daaaa-aaa-aaay" harmonies are at least partially pre-recorded.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 07:40:32 AM »
Since Adam and Larry canít / wonít effectively sing backing vocals, Edge has to sing over prerecorded tracks to fatten up some of the backing vocals.  The alternative is to have backup singers onstage, and they seem intent on keeping just the 4 of them onstage.  Itís not different than having a prerecorded synth playing along with them.  Most bands do this to some degree. 

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 08:11:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since Adam and Larry canít / wonít effectively sing backing vocals, Edge has to sing over prerecorded tracks to fatten up some of the backing vocals.  The alternative is to have backup singers onstage, and they seem intent on keeping just the 4 of them onstage.  Itís not different than having a prerecorded synth playing along with them.  Most bands do this to some degree. 

Larry does actually sing backup on a few songs. Can't remember where I saw it, but someone recently posted a short video on either Twitter or Instagram of him singing the opening for GOOYOW.

Offline daveyg

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 08:28:08 AM »

Larry does actually sing backup on a few songs. Can't remember where I saw it, but someone recently posted a short video on either Twitter or Instagram of him singing the opening for GOOYOW.

Have you heard Larry singing Dirty Ol Town? hehehe - not a note in his head!! Thinking back up to R&H period when Adam & Larry were "mic-ed up" and seen "singing" into the mics - I don't ever recollect ever hearing anyone other than Bono and Edge

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 08:58:19 AM »
Iím gonna need them all to sing Ramblin Bog anyone else know that song?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:37:56 AM »

Have you heard Larry singing Dirty Ol Town? hehehe - not a note in his head!! Thinking back up to R&H period when Adam & Larry were "mic-ed up" and seen "singing" into the mics - I don't ever recollect ever hearing anyone other than Bono and Edge

I don't recall seeing Adam sing since 1983.

Larry, I remember singing throughout the years on the very background. Daddy's Gonna Pay. Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller. Some others.

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
The drummer from the Stone Roses actually said he learned how to sing and play the drums at the same time from Larry!

Definitely sounded like Edge was miming the falsetto, whereas he used to sing it entirely himself.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
I'll do it instead on Friday from the seats, if I can shout loud enough!
I can do the falsetto - but I am female!
 :)

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 12:14:05 AM »
When youíre talking about The Fly, are you talking about the fat lady falsetto vocals? If so, theyíre pretty clearly the original Bono recording from Achtung Baby. Edge is probably just adding to them.

Offline daveyg

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 12:19:20 AM »

I don't recall seeing Adam sing since 1983.

Larry, I remember singing throughout the years on the very background. Daddy's Gonna Pay. Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller. Some others.

Adam definitely was at the mic a few times up up 1989 at the few gigs I was at. I must double check, but I thin he can be seen during Paris gig (on JT tour 87) at mic for I Will Follow. And yes, Larry definitely has a head mic on. My point was that neither of them were ever heard

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 06:35:11 AM »
Lol I see. "At the mic" vs "heard."

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 11:11:40 AM »
Definitely sounds like a prerecorded Bono track.  I imagine Edge is singing, just a matter of how high he is mixed in.  Lots of other sequenced tracks on that one - not the sound of four guys standing on a catwalk.

Offline the_chief

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
Definitely sounds like a prerecorded Bono track.  I imagine Edge is singing, just a matter of how high he is mixed in.  Lots of other sequenced tracks on that one - not the sound of four guys standing on a catwalk.

You've got to be joking...

The track sounds very empty in the verses and during the solo. There's not even any delay on his guitar during the solo