Author Topic: Are u2 forums dying a death?  (Read 4290 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm new, as you can obviously see on the side with my profile.  I don't belong to any other forums, so maybe I'm not the best source of information.  But, it seems to me this forum is dead quiet.  I visit it daily (multiple times) and there is hardly any activity.  And I've noticed the activity seems to come from the same small group of people. I may be wrong about that though.  I've no idea on the theories for this that are noted on this thread but it really does seem to be either dying or dead.  Which sucks...
Exactly. Nail on the head there. atu2 forum used to have its quiet spells before it shut down the forum, but nothing as quiet as it permanently is now. Im sad about it. As i say, I love talking about all things u2. This site used to meet all my needs....till one year ago. Now, I struggle to feed my habit lol

Here's something to confirm what you and I are saying.  At the top of the forum page there is a link titled "Members" where you can view the Member List.  There are 272 pages listed with 50 members per page.  According to my trusty little calculator that extrapolates to 13,600 members.  So, where the heck are these 13,600 members.  The activity on this forum represents a tiny fraction of that total.  Numbers don't lie.

To be fair, that's true with even the most hopping forums. The active members are a minority. The bulk of users just posted once, or are lurkers. Some are bots.

That's not to say this forum isn't shrinking a lot, though.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 01:12:29 PM »
With u2 being one of my most fave subjects on the planet, i do so love to discuss all things u2 with other fans. But, i cant help notice how dead the u2 forums i frequent have become, even during Tour time (which is worrying)
Judging by the lack of new posts every day, it seems that the interest in the band is no longer there. Without a doubt, those that run this site shot themselves in the foot last year, by trying to punish the fans, by withdrawing the forum. That has really backfired big time.
For the record, i am a member fo 4 u2 fanpages/forums. The two main websites i visit are worryingly quiet, one website i rarely venture into these days and the Group on Facebook seems to be way more popular

1. There have been some people over the past years that have stated that all message board forums took a bit of hit when Facebook became popular.

2. Roughly 80% of U2 fans IN THE UNITED STATES are currently between the ages of 41-55. Most millennial generation fans that were picked up with the bands renewed popularity during the 00s have moved on. A lot of people in the 41-55 category are more busy with work and family life than they were 10 or 20 years ago.

3. Older fans passion about talking about their favorite band on a message board may have waned a bit as the years have gone by.

4. The novalty and fun of talking about your favorite band on an internet message board has long sense worn off.

5. The band has not had a popular hit song/album to bring in new fans and generate new interest from large segments of the population since at least 2009 maybe 2005 depending on ones perception of the popularity of the No Line On The Horizon album.

6. The Core fanbase is starting to dwindle each year as new fans are not being brought in, in significant numbers to replace older fans that have moved on.

7. To the best of my knowledge, the ATU2 site has always had a much lower volume of traffic compared to interference.com, although not as low as the bands main site U2.com.

8. ATU2 did take a bit of hit when the forum when offline for a few months in 2017, but not much.

So all of these things are contributing factors. The bands popularity is gradually decreasing and they have not had a hit album recognized by the larger overall public in a while. The core fanbase is aging and often pre-occupied probably with other things. Many fans may have switched their online discussion from message boards to facebook.

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 07:47:34 AM »

8. ATU2 did take a bit of hit when the forum when offline for a few months in 2017, but not much.

I beg to differ. Hence why i made this thread. atu2 forum has taken a noticeable hit, comapred to what it was like, even just over a year ago, before the temp close.
I also would challenge when you say u2 havent had a hit album to draw in new fans. SoE was the 6th biggest selling album of 2017. That was achieved on a few weeks of sales. Fair enough, it didnt shift in numbers like say Achtung Baby, but, its all relative.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 08:13:43 AM »
those that run this site shot themselves in the foot last year, by trying to punish the fans

Is that what happened?

Thats how i (and many others) interpreted it.

You say that this site "shot themselves in the foot" and that the evidence is a lack of activity.

Yet you also say that you visit a number of U2 sites and all of them are quiet.

Hmmm.

Personally, I think this site is fairly active, certainly more so than some other U2 sites I've visited. Of course I am new to online fandom so I wasn't around 10 or 15 years ago when, I am told, activity was much greater at all the U2 sites. If things are quieter now, that may be because U2 is no longer riding high on the charts. Or maybe some of the activity has moved to newer platforms like Facebook and Twitter and others.

I did NOT say all the u2 sites were quiet. The old one i originally was a member of was still relatively busy the last time i visited, but i had heard it was suffering too (although i have not seen evidence of this)
The Facebook group is busy
You said the 2 websites you visit are quiet and that thereís another one you no longer visit. You didnít actually say why you no longer visit the third one, thatís true; to me the implication was that itís even more dead.

You did say the Facebook page was pretty busy. Thatís part of the reason why, in my post, I speculated that maybe some of the traffic has gone to newer platforms like Facebook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out of curiosity, what is the reason you no longer visit the third site? You say itís still active and youíre desperate for U2 talk so why not go there?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »

I beg to differ. Hence why i made this thread. atu2 forum has taken a noticeable hit, comapred to what it was like, even just over a year ago, before the temp close.
I also would challenge when you say u2 havent had a hit album to draw in new fans. SoE was the 6th biggest selling album of 2017. That was achieved on a few weeks of sales. Fair enough, it didnt shift in numbers like say Achtung Baby, but, its all relative.

6th biggest album would be impressive 10 or 15 years ago, but not in 2017 or 2018. Most people, over 80% of music listeners no longer buy music, they stream it. If you want to know what people love and listen to in 2017/2018 and where new music fans are going, look at streaming numbers. U2's streaming numbers are TINY. They sold 1.5 million copies of the album, only 325,000 of that in the United States. Most fans willing to pay for a concert ticket did not even buy the album. So not only did they not get any new fans with this album, but they failed to get half of the old fan base to even listen to it.

Its fine having the 6th biggest selling album worldwide, but even having the biggest selling album worldwide is no longer a sign of popularity among the general public. Its a sign that you still have some old fans who purchase music rather than stream like most people do today.

I do find some relevancy in the numbers since most U2 fans purchase the music rather than stream it. But were talking about a fraction of the fans that actually attempt to go to the concert when the band visits their city. At the two shows I went to, it seemed like there was no one there under the age of 40. At least 40% of the crowd is now sitting through the entire concert. Ten years ago no one was sitting at these concerts. There were new fans, in significant numbers, on the Elevation tour, Vertigo Tour and 360 tours, but not with the recent albums and tours.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
Without opening old wounds it made sense for the Forum to take a sabbatical last year.  We did lose a portion of members who set up their own Forum. As a Mod I see activity increasing and regular new members being added - plus the exchanges are to the point without added toxic levels as before.

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
Yeah it's dying. I've been coming here on and off since 2006 - more often in some years than others so I'm not 100% reliable in saying that this year has been the quietest ever....but it probably has been.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 11:56:34 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 12:22:18 PM »
Itís not just a U2 thing.  Many bands that I have followed for years used to have very active message forums, and now many donít have forums at all!  Now it seems like a band just posts on twitter or Facebook what theyíre up to, and fans just comment below.  Usually very pedestrian type comments like ďomg play With Or Without YouĒ or ďwhy donít you come to (insert country/state/City here)Ē?  I will miss discussing my favorite band with other fans when these forums finally do die out.  I love the speculating that goes on between albums, then discussing and dissecting the new albums/concerts.  It adds a fun dimension to being a fan that a lot of people donít experience.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 01:48:15 PM »
I agree that modern social media is helping kill the forum/message board format of yore.  Over the years I've seen traffic decline on many boards that were white-hot back in the early 2000s.  Some don't even exist anymore and the word is the traffic moved to reddit, FB, etc.

I am 46 and have long frequented forums because I love reading without the clutter of photos and ads and silly quizzes.  I don't want to "friend" a slew of people with whom I share interests but would never befriend in real life.  I don't use facebook or twitter (love IG though).

LOL at "every flutter of Bono's eyelashes".  I still love him to pieces...but he remains fresh, young, and beautiful on all the IG fan accounts I follow.  His aging face is just a reflection of where I am now too, and that can be hard to confront.  Love him anyway!  And his eyelashes!

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »
This forum took a massive hit when posts were stopped. I look and post on two other sites now but would much rather have this one back when it was in full flow.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 02:22:23 PM »
A few things: a big part of why itís quiet is because the band donít give us as much to talk about anymore. You can only rehash the past so much before everything that needs to be said has been said.

I also think there has been a fracturing/diversification of modes of communication. For good or for ill, message boards are old. Theyíre not necessarily how people communicate or gather as they were in the past.

Lastly, for the folks who think Atu2/the message boards here shot ourselves in the foot by shutting down for a few months: the folks that didnít come back were people who talked a lot, but a lot of what they said was s#!t talking. Please donít equate the volume of drama with the volume of worthwhile conversation. I was a relatively new mod then, and still the amouint of stuff that was being dealt with behind the scenes was absurd. If these boards didnít come back like this, they wouldnít have come back at all. It is what it is, and Iíd much rather have it as it is now than not have it at all.
It is very true that the attractiveness of a forum depends not only on the amount of activity but on the kind of activity. As a couple of people have noted, when the conversation becomes toxic it drives most people away ó everybody except the ones who are in hog heaven rolling around in the mud.

I became involved in online fandom back before this forum shut down, and though there was some good conversation on this site there was also a lot of stuff going on that really took me aback ó like personal insults directed against band members, disparagement of other fans, entire threads that violated forum rules. Most of this was generated by a fairly small group of posters who dominated the forum by being combative and unpleasant. If anyone disagreed or objected, the toxic people reacted as though they were being victimized. I saw some of them actually saying that if anyone had a problem with their comments they should complain to the mods.

The mods are unpaid volunteers. They tried to keep a lid on things but it was evidently a losing battle. I am not at all surprised they got fed up. I was about fed up too; I was getting ready to give up on this site.

Since the shutdown, the tone of the conversation here is much improved. There have been occasions when comments have become overemphatic or sarcastic to the point of obnoxiousness, but no forum is perfect. People arenít perfect. For the most part, this forum now provides the opportunity to discuss U2, share information, and disagree without incivility. I appreciate that.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 03:26:47 PM »
LOL at "every flutter of Bono's eyelashes".  I still love him to pieces...but he remains fresh, young, and beautiful on all the IG fan accounts I follow.  His aging face is just a reflection of where I am now too, and that can be hard to confront.  Love him anyway!  And his eyelashes!

Trust me on this: I do, too.

That paragraph was basically a self dig.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 03:50:35 PM »

Donít think thatís fair for the mods to say. The mods accept u2 is a policital band but restrict political discussion. itís understandablee why many longtime u2 fans didnít like SOE, itís the most pop-culture sounding album theyíve ever put out. Of course thereís going to be a divide between people who like and donít like the new direction. If people were getting nasty, then those nasty people shouldíve been removed, not the whole forum shutdown.

Lots of longtime forum members who have written meaningful posts left because of these reasons. And honestly, mods should be put in check. If a member doesnít agree with what a mod says, they should be able to get a second moderators opinion, not threatened with being banned.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 03:52:47 PM by 64ac30 »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 03:59:39 PM »
Yeah it's dying. I've been coming here on and off since 2006 - more often in some years than others so I'm not 100% reliable in saying that this year has been the quietest ever....but it probably has been.
A year in which a new tour on the back of a relatively new album started.

It should be a busy time.

Its not. Oh well. At least the forum is now how Ian and Sing like it, that's the main thing. Much less posting and much less debate. Easier.

Always been the best U2 site on the Web, and still is, but the interaction and community is dead. Hard to deny that.