Author Topic: Are u2 forums dying a death?  (Read 4293 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: Are u2 forums dying a death?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
I'm well aware I have no life and if I had it my way I would.

rockatansky

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, politics has pretty much killed the "other" forum.  It's been taken over by right wing nut jobs and conspiracy theorists.
Now that was funny!

Concerning the topic of this thread, my profile says I registered in December 2011.  Why do I have only 83 posts in 7 years?  It's very simple.  Time.  I have never understood how people have time to read so many posts . . . . . and then reply . . . . . several times a day.  Or even several times a week.  On a regular basis.  I am astounded that people have posted over 500 times.  I am not making a joke.  And yes . . . . . I realize some people have over 8,000 posts.

I get very frustrated when I initially read a 3-page thread . . . . . and then 1 week later, the thread is 17 pages!  Seriously?  Where do people find the time to post so many times?  From my perspective, I just don't know how people find the time to read so many forum posts and then reply multiple times . . . . . . when they have jobs (sometimes 2 jobs), spouses, kids, pets, food to cook, food to eat, dishes to wash, laundry, apartment/house to clean plus activities/events/exercise, 7 hours of sleep, etc.

Just the point that you are posting this diatribe is pretty revealing.  If you don't want to participate, then please don't.  But don't knock other people here who want to participate and have a discussion.  Your hypocrisy is stunning.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »
All forums are dying.

The last 10 years I've seen a lot of forums that I'm following die or become much less active.
Whether it is about cars, beer, sports, politics or music.

Main reason is I think facebook and other social media.

This. It's definitely not just for this band. I've seen talks of a drop-off on forums for other bands as well.

And yeah, I think a large part of it is just the advance of social media and the Internet in general. Think about it... YouTube can now provide us with a lot of clips from the shows we went to or missed. We can follow news on Twitter or Facebook, or look at postings other people do in FB groups. We have smartphones and cameras that can take good-to-great photos and share those through websites or social media accounts.

Back in the day, a lot of that stuff wasn't as prolific, so we flocked to the few places where those things could be centered or talked about. Nowadays? You can find places all over, really.

I think the traffic for forums reflects that a bit these days, but I wouldn't say that they'll die off any time soon. Particularly for the bigger bands anyway.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2018, 03:24:12 PM »
You can thank atu2 for closing down the forum for 2 weeks, so now there's an extra faction, in addition to the interference mincers and the Spanish speaking forum.

And we are all so boring in our bemoaning anyway. I get my news from the #adamclayton ig tag.

There's a Spanish speaking forum? Where?

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #64 on: November 06, 2018, 03:41:27 PM »
You can thank atu2 for closing down the forum for 2 weeks, so now there's an extra faction, in addition to the interference mincers and the Spanish speaking forum.

And we are all so boring in our bemoaning anyway. I get my news from the #adamclayton ig tag.

¿Dónde está el foro de habla hispana?

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #65 on: November 06, 2018, 04:09:12 PM »

¿Dónde está el foro de habla hispana?

Lol. Internet translation isn't quite there.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2018, 07:32:53 PM »

idk u2start? I don t frequent them

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
Interesting that there is a thread about this same topic on interference.com. There was even a suggestion that the AtU2 forum and interference forum should combine with each other.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
Interesting that there is a thread about this same topic on interference.com. There was even a suggestion that the AtU2 forum and interference forum should combine with each other.

How did your celebNW thread go over there? You were scoffed at for being a celeb chaser?

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2018, 12:53:11 PM »
I think combining the forums would be a bad idea. I belong to both and though there is some activity over there very little has to do with U2. It seems to be mostly a politics forum now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2018, 01:29:18 PM »
lol im back after about 8 months or maybe more ...
as someone who came here nearly once a day for many years i guess when alot of the old members left after the close down i just lost the habit  ..plus maybe the last few albums have not interested me the way the older stuff did..
anyway hope everybody is well :)

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »

How did your celebNW thread go over there? You were scoffed at for being a celeb chaser?

I didn't post a celeb net worth thread on interference. I don't know if anyone from over there saw the thread here. The celeb Net Worth thread was easy to compile and is just an estimate. I found it interesting, just like the Forbes Billionaire list is sometimes interesting.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2018, 01:59:21 PM »
I think combining the forums would be a bad idea. I belong to both and though there is some activity over there very little has to do with U2. It seems to be mostly a politics forum now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is just in one section of interference though and its a pretty small group of people who regular post in their politics section, maybe two dozen people. Most activity on interference are rather boring threads like "What are you eating"? "What is the weather like? etc.

In any event, combining the two forums should be considered if activity continues to decline in both.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2018, 03:09:59 PM »
Can’t see that happening as both very different places

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »
Can’t see that happening as both very different places

How different can they be when they are both about U2? I can't think of any other place on the internet that is more similar to this than interference.com.