Author Topic: Now playing:  (Read 4681 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Now playing:
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2019, 11:04:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It isn't always true, but it seems like most great albums start with big, abstract ideas.  That was missing on SOI and SOE.

I really agree with this.  Its somewhat ironic that the two albums they promoted as being part of a big conceptual trilogy, seem to have the least cohesion.  NLOTH had holes but SOI and SOE just feel like collections of disparate songs.  There may be some lyrical themes but musically they are completely disconnected. They sound like a collection of random songs made at different times with different production styles.  It makes them harder to appreciate as albums.

Its also like the lyrical theme is so forced that it has no subtly.  As Flannery O’Connor once said, if you can easily discern the theme of a piece of art (if its message is obvious) you can be sure its not very good art at all.

(Not a direct quote, my paraphrase from memory.)

I really hope they abandon any thoughts on a “Songs of Ascent” and start fresh working with only one producer for the next album.  It could be Danger Mouse or Enois, or someone new that can capture that side of U2 but stop with the autobiographical lyrics set to a mishmash of music.

I think the record also failed to produce a tour that really tied into the album.  It was all about the stage...while 360 was a really cool concept and a piece of art in of itself, nothing connected to NLOTH.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2019, 11:07:33 AM »
Summer of Love.

Trying to learn on guitar. I pretty much suck so the chords are pretty easy. I can't get the into notes down though.  Also saw 2 documentaries lately....Lifeboat and Human Flow that addressed the issues of Syrian migration across the Sea. 

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
U2's first night in Paris 2018 (changing avatar)

Offline sperduto

• Babyface
  • i'm going outside, mother, i'm going out there
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2019, 05:35:29 AM »
-- paulo vetri -- u2 superfan -- master multicam monster -- concert sized sweetness  -- hd high quality

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2019, 02:23:53 PM »
The Hands That Built America

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2019, 01:40:49 PM »
An Cat Dub Into the heart. Irish Times...

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
Agreed, that version of In A Little While is pure magic. The vocals, lyrics, and Edge singing at the end is fantastic.  I love the part about Joey Ramone.  It's a testament to the power of U2 that Joey was listening to U2 on his deathbed. My last couple years in HS ('77, '78) were all about the Ramones and The Clash. So, it means something to me that Joey was listening to In A Little While before he died. RIP - Joey Ramone and Joe Strummer.

On a somewhat different note, I've always been enamored with U2's October.  I gave up the punk thing after hearing Gloria on MTV one night.  That and several other factors (re: giving up the punk thing).  U2 was my band after that.  Always will be.

Someone special wrote to me recently that in October, U2 "created hymns that sound like that. Hymns!!!"  And that's what they did in an atmosphere of soaring guitar and stark echoes.  It's an amazing record, in my opinion.

Here's Rejoice:

And what am I to do?
Just tell me what am I supposed to say?
I can't change the world
But I can change the world in me
Rejoice
Rejoice

Words to live by...
Agreed...very underrated album.

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2019, 10:16:36 AM »
The Crystal Ballroom came on my spotify que this morning on the way to the rugby pitch and I just had to sigh. Another gem of a song that didnt make it onto an album.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2019, 09:18:13 PM »
That's a fun song. I listened to it today, too.

Imagine telling everybody in 1987 that U2 would do a full on disco song in 25 or so years.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2019, 09:22:06 PM »
-- paulo vetri -- u2 superfan -- master multicam monster -- concert sized sweetness  -- hd high quality

Paulo works very hard on this stuff. Will have to check this out. I see it includes Red Flag Day - very good.

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #85 on: May 26, 2019, 05:48:50 AM »
"In Dog's Country" - a flamenco version of In God's Country.

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2019, 04:47:12 AM »
In A Lifetime, Clannad, with Bono (1985).

I just mentioned this song in a previous post, and Went to see and hear it on Youtube. I bought the maxi single in Nice, I recall. As for the video, I have it on VHS. Chances are, the version on Youtube is better!  ;D

Offline clemmie_mandarin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2019, 03:57:28 AM »
Satellite of Love - with Lou Reed, Zoo TV

Just love how Bono sounds here.

And am listening to Salome as well for some much needed grooviness... Shake it Shake it Shake it!

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2019, 05:24:38 AM »
Just dealt with an ant infestation in what used to be a stable, and wondered wheter it be because of leftover Crumbs, so: Crumbs My (S)Table. Brings back memories from the tour, and the beginning of that tune! I have not listened to HTDAAB for ages - this song makes me want to, not least A Man And A Woman...

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2019, 02:41:49 PM »
Crumbs From Your Table and A Man And A Woman - both outstanding, art through musiv at its best.