Author Topic: More shows next year ?  (Read 6540 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
Re: More shows next year ?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2018, 12:17:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Asia is really growing as a concert market for international artists.  As an example Iíll use Coldplay on their last tour.  They played stadiums or stadium sized venues in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India and UAE.  Hong Kong has the AsiaWorld Arena, which is a popular spot for tours as well.  Artists who played the Tibetan freedom concert (as U2 did in 97) have been banned from playing in China, so weíll see how that goes.  However, Iíve done the research, and I canít come up with any major tour that has visited Vietnam in recent years.  So who knows...

Australia will probably be mostly stadiums if not entirely, and some of these Asian countries may get arenas.  Hope everybody who wants to see U2 in those parts of the world get a show!!

South Korea would be getting a U2 show long before the Communist dictatorship of Vietnam would. U2 does not tour third world dictatorships.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
Where has this new rumour come from??

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2018, 10:02:03 AM »
Asia is really growing as a concert market for international artists.  As an example I’ll use Coldplay on their last tour.  They played stadiums or stadium sized venues in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India and UAE.  Hong Kong has the AsiaWorld Arena, which is a popular spot for tours as well.  Artists who played the Tibetan freedom concert (as U2 did in 97) have been banned from playing in China, so we’ll see how that goes.  However, I’ve done the research, and I can’t come up with any major tour that has visited Vietnam in recent years.  So who knows...

Australia will probably be mostly stadiums if not entirely, and some of these Asian countries may get arenas.  Hope everybody who wants to see U2 in those parts of the world get a show!!

South Korea would be getting a U2 show long before the Communist dictatorship of Vietnam would. U2 does not tour third world dictatorships.

Are you sure about that? I see a guy quite regularly who has been part of U2's crew on every tour leg since 360. A few weeks ago I brought up the tour rumours (only Oceania at that stage) & he said Asia was in the pipeline, & specifically mentioned Vietnam. Though nothing had been finalised yet.

He also said they were planning a hybrid stadium/arena tour, & the stage was currently being designed.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2018, 11:27:38 AM »
When I last talked to Bono he said fans need to stop the speculation when they know we will know

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
What, you talk to Bono?

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2018, 09:03:05 PM »
Asia is really growing as a concert market for international artists.  As an example Iíll use Coldplay on their last tour.  They played stadiums or stadium sized venues in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India and UAE.  Hong Kong has the AsiaWorld Arena, which is a popular spot for tours as well.  Artists who played the Tibetan freedom concert (as U2 did in 97) have been banned from playing in China, so weíll see how that goes.  However, Iíve done the research, and I canít come up with any major tour that has visited Vietnam in recent years.  So who knows...

Sadly it is always the ordinary people who miss out and are punished in these situations

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2018, 09:07:26 PM »
When I last talked to Bono he said fans need to stop the speculation when they know we will know

Haha fans will always speculate.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2018, 09:46:37 PM »
What, you talk to Bono?
ha ha no but I wish lol Just joking around

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2018, 03:08:36 AM »
Asia is really growing as a concert market for international artists.  As an example I’ll use Coldplay on their last tour.  They played stadiums or stadium sized venues in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India and UAE.  Hong Kong has the AsiaWorld Arena, which is a popular spot for tours as well.  Artists who played the Tibetan freedom concert (as U2 did in 97) have been banned from playing in China, so we’ll see how that goes.  However, I’ve done the research, and I can’t come up with any major tour that has visited Vietnam in recent years.  So who knows...

Sadly it is always the ordinary people who miss out and are punished in these situations

True. But if the tour does visit Vietnam, unfortunately it's likely that the ordinary people won't be able to afford the high ticket prices anyway.

Although it's on the rise, the average income is only around $150 a month. Much lower than most south east Asian countries.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 03:12:32 AM by d.darroch »

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2018, 04:22:38 AM »

True. But if the tour does visit Vietnam, unfortunately it's likely that the ordinary people won't be able to afford the high ticket prices anyway.

Although it's on the rise, the average income is only around $150 a month. Much lower than most south east Asian countries.

I wonder if the tour sets its prices with regards to the average income in a country it has decided to play in or if it just targets the wealthy in those countries.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 04:24:56 AM by summerholly »

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2018, 06:43:39 AM »

I wonder if the tour sets its prices with regards to the average income in a country it has decided to play in or if it just targets the wealthy in those countries.

I know there were a lot of complaints about ticket prices for the South American leg of TJT tour, which were unaffordable for most people there. There was a good chart they made up on u2start at the time. Wonder if I can find it.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2018, 07:43:50 AM »
Found it.

GA ticket prices were actually higher in South America than Europe!

While the proportion of a monthly wage required to buy a GA ticket in South America was up to ten times higher than in Europe! Colombia topping out, with the cost of a GA ticket being 57% of the average monthly wage!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 07:47:50 AM by d.darroch »

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2018, 08:17:22 AM »
Found it.

While the proportion of a monthly wage required to buy a GA ticket in South America was up to ten times higher than in Europe! Colombia topping out, with the cost of a GA ticket being 57% of the average monthly wage!

Wow, I certainly wouldn't be paying 57% of my monthly wage to see U2.  Guess you have to be desperate to see them or one of the wealthy folks in those countries.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2018, 10:23:30 AM »
Found it.

That sucks.