Author Topic: More shows next year ?  (Read 3647 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
Re: More shows next year ?
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 12:36:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I picked up somewhere Dallas had said this was the first time in 30 years he had packed all of Edges guitars way. Maybe the long break could be 6 months without anything. If Australia happens it doesn’t sound like it would be new music and it could be just simply recognising the fan base as Wons says. Just kind of like Lovetown albeit that was new music. I still struggle to see them doing this but hey they always can surprise.

What i dont get is why wait a full year? They could easily put everything together and get to this in April.

Because they want a break! U2 were supposed to tour Australia, New Zealand and Japan in January/February 1988 after 1987s Joshua Tree Tour. But they delayed that until September/October/November 1989. They were tired with touring and simply put off going Down Under for a while. So that could be the case for 2019 if it actually happens.

The longer they wait, they’ll need more practice when they go out again. I personally think November -February (4 months) is decent amount of break time(I’d love to have 4 months off). Rehearse in March. Tour. Go back to vacation in may.

Another question for everyone: was 2016 a break for u2? I understand they were recording but how tiring can that be?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 02:26:05 PM »
For U2? Or for their producers and sound engineers...!

Aussie stadium tours are almost always Feb/Mar or Nov/Dec.

Only one stadium has a roof (Melbourne)

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
I picked up somewhere Dallas had said this was the first time in 30 years he had packed all of Edges guitars way. Maybe the long break could be 6 months without anything. If Australia happens it doesn’t sound like it would be new music and it could be just simply recognising the fan base as Wons says. Just kind of like Lovetown albeit that was new music. I still struggle to see them doing this but hey they always can surprise.

What i dont get is why wait a full year? They could easily put everything together and get to this in April.

Because they want a break! U2 were supposed to tour Australia, New Zealand and Japan in January/February 1988 after 1987s Joshua Tree Tour. But they delayed that until September/October/November 1989. They were tired with touring and simply put off going Down Under for a while. So that could be the case for 2019 if it actually happens.

The longer they wait, they’ll need more practice when they go out again. I personally think November -February (4 months) is decent amount of break time(I’d love to have 4 months off). Rehearse in March. Tour. Go back to vacation in may.

Another question for everyone: was 2016 a break for u2? I understand they were recording but how tiring can that be?

I don't know for sure, but I think before they played more shows, they wanted to complete the Songs Of Experience Album. Originally, it was supposed to come out just before the Innocence And Experience tour started in 2015, but they did not make that deadline. So I think they felt they had to really concentrate on it for a while without being on tour in order to finish it or at least get more work done on it. Sometimes touring and recording at the same time does not work. Sometimes it does.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 11:29:01 AM »
U2 just tweeted this:

I’m pretty sure they’re hinting at new shows.

Offline Gavin82

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
Fingers crossed for places which been mist last 3 tours...!!!! They prob seen how this 2018 run made & they know even more could be made down under..!!!

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 10:56:44 PM »
That is a very odd, and insignificant milestone to make light of.  They do dated anniversary posts all the time.  But to make one highlighting the start of the THIRD leg, in a place in the world that has been screaming at you to play for years.  Why would you do that?  Just imagine if that post is literally just that, a tbt post.  How insulting is that.  Hey guys remember when we played to you 10 years ago.  Guess what it's gonna be even longer, probably a total of 12 or 13 before we get back to you. 

OF COURSE, this could just be U2's team posting with no tact--but I suspect it isn't.  I suspect this is the continuation of the Australian tour stories that have been abuzz.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 06:30:33 PM »
That is a very odd, and insignificant milestone to make light of.  They do dated anniversary posts all the time.  But to make one highlighting the start of the THIRD leg, in a place in the world that has been screaming at you to play for years.  Why would you do that?  Just imagine if that post is literally just that, a tbt post.  How insulting is that.  Hey guys remember when we played to you 10 years ago.  Guess what it's gonna be even longer, probably a total of 12 or 13 before we get back to you. 

OF COURSE, this could just be U2's team posting with no tact--but I suspect it isn't.  I suspect this is the continuation of the Australian tour stories that have been abuzz.

Might be another Christmas announcement.

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
Could be!

What do you think?  You think this leans more toward the Aus leg happening, or a random tactless, tasteless post by the social media team? 

It is, almost literally, one or the other imo.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »
Maybe they'll do JT on night 1 and E&I on night 2.  If you lived in Australia and could only afford one of those 2 shows...which one would you go to?

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 06:48:25 PM »
Joshua Tree, no, effin, question.  I NEED to see Streets, Bullet, and Exit again on that screen. 

and Beautiful Day and Vertigo but they'll play those on both types of nights.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »
Maybe they'll do JT on night 1 and E&I on night 2.  If you lived in Australia and could only afford one of those 2 shows...which one would you go to?

I do live in Australia and it would be JT

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2018, 11:25:01 PM »
Sadly I don’t think they’ll do acrobat and the JT start to finish ever again. If they do Australia+NZ+japan, it will be a lovetown tour, celebrating Rattle and Hum. Will include the hits (beautiful day, vertigo, one) and 4-6 SOI + SOE Songs(every breaking wave, miracle, song for someone, get out of your own way, best thing, Love is Bigger).

Offline Boba Fett

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:34 PM »
And if it was a LoveTown Redux tour, you know what the best part of that might be - the possibility of that AWESOME live version of Hawkmoon 269 getting performed again!

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2018, 09:59:53 PM »
The new rumor is the band will perform in Hong Kong, China and Vietnam. I can imagine maybe Hong Kong, but Vietnam?????? This tour is supposed to be 2 months too, and they’re saying it will mix arenas and stadiums. Idk...

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2018, 02:27:34 PM »
Asia is really growing as a concert market for international artists.  As an example I’ll use Coldplay on their last tour.  They played stadiums or stadium sized venues in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines, Thailand, India and UAE.  Hong Kong has the AsiaWorld Arena, which is a popular spot for tours as well.  Artists who played the Tibetan freedom concert (as U2 did in 97) have been banned from playing in China, so we’ll see how that goes.  However, I’ve done the research, and I can’t come up with any major tour that has visited Vietnam in recent years.  So who knows...

Australia will probably be mostly stadiums if not entirely, and some of these Asian countries may get arenas.  Hope everybody who wants to see U2 in those parts of the world get a show!!