Author Topic: How will u2 reinvent themselves?  (Read 601 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
How will u2 reinvent themselves?
« on: November 16, 2018, 12:44:10 PM »
For the next album

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: How will u2 reinvent themselves?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:01:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For the next album

If they can, that would be the ultimate.  I find it interesting how people get so excited when they play a track live that they haven’t played in a long time (or ever) or macphisto resurfaces.  That doesn’t do that much for me, nor does another album of U2 by the numbers.  What has excited me for the last 40 years is how every two or three albums we get a brand new U2.  I’m still hoping for another new U2  in the next album.  Save SOA for after they’re done or use it as a Zooropa style in-between.

As to what it could be, only U2 can come up with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 02:07:21 PM »
I think each album is new and has a different feel to it. So in in a sense, every album is a reinvention. I see the way people tend to link albums, but I really don't think those links are that strong.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
They're going to reinvent themselves as an increasingly older version of U2.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
Tortuga, which albums have been reinventions for you?

I'm going to guess TUF, and AB is a given. Any others?

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
How will u2 reinvent themselves?
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »

Yep.  But also, War was a big change from October.  It qualifies for me. JT was a huge change from UF.  Pop from AB.  Not until ATYCLB/Bomb did they really slow down with the innovation.  But ATYCLB was a great return to classic U2.  One album would have been enough though.  Then SOI was a shift but borrowed heavily from mainstream pop/rock popular at the time and SOE kind of the same thing.  To me SOI/SOE is the first recordings where they started to sound derivative of their times.  That is what is so disappointing to me.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 05:20:07 PM by Tortuga »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 05:24:52 PM »

Yep.  But also, War was a big change from October.  It qualifies for me. JT was a huge change from UF.  Pop from AB.  Not until ATYCLB/Bomb did they really slow down with the innovation.  But ATYCLB was a great return to classic U2.  One album would have been enough though.  Then SOI was a shift but borrowed heavily from mainstream pop/rock popular at the time and SOE kind of the same thing.  To me SOI/SOE is the first recordings where they started to sound derivative of their times.  That is what is so disappointing to me.

So which previous U2 album does ATYCLB sound the most like?

Which current artist have recorded something similar that is found on SOI or SOE? What artist are U2 supposedly chasing with these albums?

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 12:07:33 PM »
They dont have to reinvent themselves in my opinion. They just have to do these few things:

1. Stop pretending the 90's didnt exist and take inspiration from it. SLABT was a great example of this and it just makes them much better. Part of this is also to expand the soundlandscapes on the albums like they did on earlier albums.

2. Become interested in the world again. Too many songs on recent albums have focused on just personal stuff - boring. U2 are best when they are political.

3. Just write great songs.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
They dont have to reinvent themselves in my opinion. They just have to do these few things:

1. Stop pretending the 90's didnt exist and take inspiration from it. SLABT was a great example of this and it just makes them much better. Part of this is also to expand the soundlandscapes on the albums like they did on earlier albums.

2. Become interested in the world again. Too many songs on recent albums have focused on just personal stuff - boring. U2 are best when they are political.

3. Just write great songs.

Anen! Amen! Amen!

Said another way...its not all about you!

And I agree with 1&3 too.