Author Topic: U2's most spiritual song and your reasoning?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
Re: U2's most spiritual song and your reasoning?
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2018, 06:58:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would agree with a lot of these songs mentioned, but would add Moment of Surrender.

This to me is a call to the moment when faith takes over reason and we place our trust in Someone (I would say Jesus as a Christian and a pastor" who is there for us even if we can't see Him- "at the moment of surrender, vision over visibility..." not to mention the bridge/alternate chorus "I was speeding on the subway Through the stations of the cross Every eye looking every other way Counting down 'til the pentecost..."

The song Yahweh is another obvious one for me.

Also, With or Without You...since we cannot truly live without Jesus, yet as Paul says we cannot live with Him either, we have to die to ourselves.

Love this thread.

“Counting down till the pentecost”???

“Counting down till the pain will stop”

I know U2.com has the former but listening to the track its clear its the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be clear, and if you check, U2.com lists the lyric as "counting down 'til the pentecost".  If you google it, on other lyric services, they say "counting till the pain will stop".  Now, don't know about you but I'm personally inclined to believe the U2.com lyrics page and the lyric makes a lot of sense in that version.

I'm inclined to believe what my ears tell me.  It's clearly "counting down 'til the pain will stop."  Just listen one time and it will be clear.

Since the song is about drug addiction, this lyric makes perfect sense to me.  He was getting high and had just taken the drug, and now was counting down until the effects would kick in, and he would get a temporary reprieve from his pain through said drug.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2018, 07:03:08 AM »
For me, Ultraviolet refers to God's love.

Ultraviolet, or UV rays are things that you cannot see, but despite that, they can change who you are by changing your skin colour among other things.
"Ultraviolet love", as sung in the chorus, is the love of God.  You can't see it, it's invisible, and yet it gets inside you and changes who you are.
Totally agree, plus I think the « baby, baby, baby light my way »
is secretly about baby Jesus

Yeah, I think he's singing to Jesus too.  The "baby" part could refer to "baby Jesus", or he could just be using "baby" as a term of affection for a loved one.  I think this is one of those ones where there's no wrong answer, and you can interpret it as you like.

u2music

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
I would agree with a lot of these songs mentioned, but would add Moment of Surrender.

This to me is a call to the moment when faith takes over reason and we place our trust in Someone (I would say Jesus as a Christian and a pastor" who is there for us even if we can't see Him- "at the moment of surrender, vision over visibility..." not to mention the bridge/alternate chorus "I was speeding on the subway Through the stations of the cross Every eye looking every other way Counting down 'til the pentecost..."

The song Yahweh is another obvious one for me.

Also, With or Without You...since we cannot truly live without Jesus, yet as Paul says we cannot live with Him either, we have to die to ourselves.

Love this thread.

“Counting down till the pentecost”???

“Counting down till the pain will stop”

I know U2.com has the former but listening to the track its clear its the latter.

To be clear, and if you check, U2.com lists the lyric as "counting down 'til the pentecost".  If you google it, on other lyric services, they say "counting till the pain will stop".  Now, don't know about you but I'm personally inclined to believe the U2.com lyrics page and the lyric makes a lot of sense in that version.

I'm inclined to believe what my ears tell me.  It's clearly "counting down 'til the pain will stop."  Just listen one time and it will be clear.

Since the song is about drug addiction, this lyric makes perfect sense to me.  He was getting high and had just taken the drug, and now was counting down until the effects would kick in, and he would get a temporary reprieve from his pain through said drug.

Yeah, my ears agree with your ears.  Should have listened to it first before my comment.  Doesn't square though, why the U2.com lyrics say pentecost?  Could it be that both lyric versions would fit?  I know you said it's about drug addiction but don't know if the pentecost lyric could fit for that.  Probably not. 

Thanks for putting a newcomer in their place.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2018, 08:25:15 AM »

Ultraviolet, or UV rays are things that you cannot see, but despite that, they can change who you are by changing your skin colour among other things.
"Ultraviolet love", as sung in the chorus, is the love of God.  You can't see it, it's invisible, and yet it gets inside you and changes who you are.

Yeah, I think he's singing to Jesus too.  The "baby" part could refer to "baby Jesus", or he could just be using "baby" as a term of affection for a loved one.  I think this is one of those ones where there's no wrong answer, and you can interpret it as you like.

There is no right or wrong with regard to interpretation but there is a definite right or wrong as to what is sung on the record.

So U2.com has a history of pulling wrong lyrics from the web and putting them on the official site.  In the early days Bono didn’t write all the lyrics down so u2.com was in the same position as everyone else trying to figure it out.  Of course they have access to Bono but they probably just copied and pasted without checking.  And maybe Bono doesn’t always remember.  Maybe sometimes he wishes he’d sung what people thought they had heard.  In the case of more recent lyrics, who knows?

u2music

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2018, 08:49:15 AM »

There is no right or wrong with regard to interpretation but there is a definite right or wrong as to what is sung on the record.

So U2.com has a history of pulling wrong lyrics from the web and putting them on the official site.  In the early days Bono didn’t write all the lyrics down so u2.com was in the same position as everyone else trying to figure it out.  Of course they have access to Bono but they probably just copied and pasted without checking.  And maybe Bono doesn’t always remember.  Maybe sometimes he wishes he’d sung what people thought they had heard.  In the case of more recent lyrics, who knows?

Like I said above, I should have listened to the track again before writing my post.  That was my mistake, which I apologize for. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:55:30 AM by u2music »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2018, 11:30:58 AM »

Like I said above, I should have listened to the track again before writing my post.  That was my mistake, which I apologize for.
No need to apologize.  But I am sorry my response came across as a rebuke!

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2018, 12:21:38 PM »
Hard to make an argument otherwise after reading the case made for ISHFWILF on the first page of this thread.    I always had conflicting feelings about that song but thanks to the author of that post, I don’t anymore.

I think With A Shout is an impressive little tract.   “On the side of the hill, ‘blood was spilled’..” was an indication to me that perhaps this ‘secular’ Christian wasn’t living up to his side of the bargain.    It isn’t a spiritual song at all per se but the impact of it on me, especially hearing that line being delivered by some earnest Irish dude a half a world away, was substantial.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2018, 01:26:06 PM »

No reason to apologize.  Looking back, my response could have been a little less biting.  I apologize as well. 

Yeah, for whatever reason, U2.com doesn't have very trustworthy lyrics.  You'd think someone with the band would clean that up.  I'd say this site, and U2songs.com, do the most accurate jobs with regards to lyrics that I've seen.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 03:00:15 AM »
I think "Gloria" and "40" are great examples of praise songs.  "Magnificent" has some great lines as well--"I was born to sing for You."
    I always find it kind of amusing re. all the atheists and agnostics who are super into U2.  One suspects that they are far more open to the life force (however they may conceive of it) than they think they are.

The funny thing is that until I read more about the band more recently I had no idea of their Christian leanings.  I just liked the music and I didn't really think about any of the words of the songs that I liked in a religious context as I was raised outside any religion so it wasn't on my radar. 

Many of the songs resonated with me without recognising any religious context.  Having read more about Bono and read his interviews I can understand why.  He understands that what we have on earth is precious.  He is able to pen songs that can be interpreted in may different ways.  He gets the human condition, with his band he has ridden the roller coast of struggles, loss, insecurity, working hard to achieve goals, loyalty, criticism, adoration and understands temptation, broken love and real love I guess and is able together with the unique sound of the band make those experiences live through music.  I think that is why the band has such a wide fan base.

Of course he personally draws inspiration from both life and teachings from the bible and from what I have read I think his understanding of Christianity is much better than the terribly rigid way the churches seem to function with it especially through history.  Certainly I like it much better through his eyes.  I personally don't worry about if there is a higher force or not, I have no definitive proof either way, I just wish people were kinder to each other and valued the planet more.  When I listen to U2 songs they often make me feel a whole range of emotions connected to my life and of course that beautiful guitar work.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:05:20 AM by summerholly »

u2music

« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 07:28:50 AM »
A Celebration.

A highly overlooked U2 song, imo. A song that came to mind after reading this thread which may be an odd choice to some.  But to me it carries some of the joyous spiritualness found in October.  The song was put out between October and War as a single. 

The biggest take I get from the song is that spirituality (faith) can overcome fear.  That there is joy in having spirituality and it should be celebrated.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2018, 07:43:26 AM »
 I love "A Celebration".  Thanks for sharing!

Offline ricebird5678

• Babyface
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
I have enjoyed this profound discussion and I am re-examining all song aforementioned.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2018, 11:44:50 AM »
Summerholly, you made a very astute observation about how Bono is able to distill and communicate the best part of the Christian faith in a manner that others, whether religious or not, can easily relate to.  To me, he's the best kind of preacher--accessible, relatable, and compassionate.  I'm not really sure where my Christian faith would be today without Bono's example.  So much of the religious leadership is off-putting and rigid.  At any rate, the core of the faith is beautiful, and people like you would probably find it irresistible if only Bono and those like him were in positions of leadership :)  To me, people like you are part of the invisible body of Christ--people of goodwill who are always attracted to the faith but may be put off by negative doctrines or interactions.  I wish that more of you would join the Church and help change it from within.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:06 PM »
Summerholly, you made a very astute observation about how Bono is able to distill and communicate the best part of the Christian faith in a manner that others, whether religious or not, can easily relate to.  To me, he's the best kind of preacher--accessible, relatable, and compassionate.  I'm not really sure where my Christian faith would be today without Bono's example.  So much of the religious leadership is off-putting and rigid.  At any rate, the core of the faith is beautiful, and people like you would probably find it irresistible if only Bono and those like him were in positions of leadership :)  To me, people like you are part of the invisible body of Christ--people of goodwill who are always attracted to the faith but may be put off by negative doctrines or interactions.  I wish that more of you would join the Church and help change it from within.
I’m not Summerholly and
I understand what you mean and appreciate the sentiment but
its kind of hard to feel really comfortable in even the most open Christian church if you’re agnostic.  And there are plenty of groups building love in the world that you can be a part of that are not religious.

Personally, I’m not in a church not because I’m bothered by the all too human less than perfect leaders or members.  I just can’t embrace all of the beliefs, some of which are pretty core to most churches...except maybe Unitarians.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2018, 07:10:14 AM »
A Celebration.

A highly overlooked U2 song, imo. A song that came to mind after reading this thread which may be an odd choice to some.  But to me it carries some of the joyous spiritualness found in October.  The song was put out between October and War as a single. 

The biggest take I get from the song is that spirituality (faith) can overcome fear.  That there is joy in having spirituality and it should be celebrated.

This is another U2 song that looks at the darkness square in the eye and says it "won't overpower me."'

In addition to foreshadowing War with the related imagery, it has ties with TJT as well. God can "loose these chains." And there's the concept of "I know a place" and "you can go there too."

To say "I believe in a celebration" is rejoiceful, but also a statement of faith.

Also. Those red pants.