Author Topic: U2's most spiritual song and your reasoning?  (Read 1039 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
Re: U2's most spiritual song and your reasoning?
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2018, 04:07:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think With A Shout is an impressive little tract.   “On the side of the hill, ‘blood was spilled’..” was an indication to me that perhaps this ‘secular’ Christian wasn’t living up to his side of the bargain.    It isn’t a spiritual song at all per se but the impact of it on me, especially hearing that line being delivered by some earnest Irish dude a half a world away, was substantial.

I've always heard this song quite differently - an explicitly Christian song, for one thing. I also always hear the hill as the hill of Calvary where Jesus was crucified, thus his blood spilled there. The song also apecifies it's in Jerusalem.

I totally agree on the earnest Irish dude part though.

As with A Celebration and Streets we have reference to human nature - "we're going back there," "we can't stop the tide," "it's all we can do."

u2music

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2018, 08:08:37 AM »
I came across this song recently then read up about it.  It's call "Falling At Your Feet" and is a song on the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack.  The unique part is that it's just Daniel Lanois and Bono.  It's got a kind of a Beatles Esque feel to it.  The lyrics are interesting.

"All fall down
In whom shall I trust
All fall down
How might I be still
All fall down
Teach me to surrender
Not my will
Thy will"

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline NateV

• Babyface
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2018, 04:20:18 PM »
Great topic. Lights of home was a spiritual highlight of the tour for me. It’s a prayer, with Bono kneeling, making the sign of the cross and all that. It’s a vulnerable moment. I think LoH is central to understanding the whole album/ tour. We learn that Bono is finding the light in Jesus’ eyes. Blackout is about losing the light, and the ending with 13 is about passing on the light he’s found.

Other spiritual highlights: Streets, Magnificent, Wake up deadman. O yeah, Breathe and The Miracle (I think they are related).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:26:21 PM by NateV »