Author Topic: How do you listen to U2?  (Read 419 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
How do you listen to U2?
« on: November 26, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »
Home stereo? Car? Phone or MP3 player with headphones? Or Bluetooth speakers?

CD? MP3? Vinyl? Spotify?

Whole album? Favorite mix/playlist? Playlist you make on the fly?

More studio, more live, good mix of both?

Do you listen to the same stuff over and over or do you pull out fresh songs every day?

Listen alone or do you make your family listen? Do they like it or are they plotting to move out?

Do you ever listen to U2 as background music or does it always have to be top volume?

Do you sing along? Dance?

What percentage of music you listen to overall is U2?

Am I buggin' you?

u2music

Re: How do you listen to U2?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 09:35:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Home stereo? Car? Phone or MP3 player with headphones? Or Bluetooth speakers?

CD? MP3? Vinyl? Spotify?

Whole album? Favorite mix/playlist? Playlist you make on the fly?

More studio, more live, good mix of both?

Do you listen to the same stuff over and over or do you pull out fresh songs every day?

Listen alone or do you make your family listen? Do they like it or are they plotting to move out?

Do you ever listen to U2 as background music or does it always have to be top volume?

Do you sing along? Dance?

What percentage of music you listen to overall is U2?

Am I buggin' you?

Laptop computer with external speakers, sometimes headphones

YouTube, sometimes CD

Curated playlist on YouTube account

Mix of both

Same stuff, with new stuff thrown in weekly

Alone

Mainly background but times where it's cranked to max volume

Sing alone

75% U2, 25% Other

No

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:46:28 AM by u2music »

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
At home: in ear buds from my iPhone
At work: On amazon prime music (it also has the music we've purchased such as the 30th anniversary of The Joshua Tree)
In car: on CDs yes CDs because my car is old and has no way to play from my phone.
Whole album absolutely!  But also on shuffle...
A mix of live and studio recordings
I do have a tendency to overplay all things from the AB era
In the car, one son tolerates while the other groans
Sort of background music, unless I NEED to hear it loud.
I do sing and dance along!
75% of the music I listen to is U2.  I teach group fitness classes so I have to listen to a broad variety of music.  I also like mid 20th century jazz music, new-wave/alt rock, R&B oldies, and adult contemporary pop.

Am I buggin' you?  Don't mean to BUG YA.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
I fully support CDs but if you want to switch in your car you have a couple of inexpensive options.

If your car has a LINE IN port (looks exactly like a headphone port) you can buy a $4-$5 aux-to-aux cable from Walmart, Best Buy, or whatever (male to male). Plug one end into your phone and the other into your car and you're in business torturing your kids.

If you don't have that port, there is a device that plugs into your cigarette lighter. The device has a cable that plugs into your phone (or some might have Bluettoth, not sure). Then the device plays the music over radio. You set it to a station that isn't being used in your area, and presto, you have a tiny All U2 radio station in your car. Comes out of your car speakers as good as a CD. I think the device is in the $20 range.

Just FYI.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 12:22:31 PM »
I fully support CDs but if you want to switch in your car you have a couple of inexpensive options.

If your car has a LINE IN port (looks exactly like a headphone port) you can buy a $4-$5 aux-to-aux cable from Walmart, Best Buy, or whatever (male to male). Plug one end into your phone and the other into your car and you're in business torturing your kids.

If you don't have that port, there is a device that plugs into your cigarette lighter. The device has a cable that plugs into your phone (or some might have Bluettoth, not sure). Then the device plays the music over radio. You set it to a station that isn't being used in your area, and presto, you have a tiny All U2 radio station in your car. Comes out of your car speakers as good as a CD. I think the device is in the $20 range.

Just FYI.
The device your talking about, at least the one I have, sounds nowhere near as good as a CD.  It puts a ton of sibilance on everything.  From the Amazon reviews Ive read they all do that.  Its a flaw of the technology.  Let me know if you have one that sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:25:53 PM »
Don't have it any more. I can't hear sibilance, the rest sounded great to me. Maybe it's better described as radio quality, when the station is coming in really clearly.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 01:19:08 PM »
Q:  Home stereo? Car? Phone or MP3 player with headphones? Or Bluetooth speakers?
A:  For the most part, my wife can't stand listening to U2 anymore, so I'd say 95% headphones, 5% speakers

Q:  CD? MP3? Vinyl? Spotify?
A:  98% MP3, but I still own all the albums in CD.

Q:  Whole album? Favorite mix/playlist? Playlist you make on the fly?
A:  Usually I get a hankering for a specific song, bring up that album, skip around to other songs on that album that sound good to me at that time. 

Q:  More studio, more live, good mix of both?
A:  Mostly studio, all the time.

Q:  Do you listen to the same stuff over and over or do you pull out fresh songs every day?
A:  I have go-to albums and songs, depending on the time of day.  Been listening to a lot of Songs of Experience especially this year, since it's new, and I'm still enjoying it.

Q:  Listen alone or do you make your family listen? Do they like it or are they plotting to move out?
A:  Like I said, I usually have to keep it on the headphones, as after 2+ decades my wife has had enough of ours truly.  We rarely argue, but we have argued over U2 before.  My 12-year-old son still loves them, though, and he and I sometimes watch live concert DVDs together.  His favorites are U2: Go Home, and Under a Blood Red Sky.  My 20-year-old son makes fun of my U2 obsession, but he hides some of U2's stuff from the early 90s on his Spotify. 

Q:  Do you ever listen to U2 as background music or does it always have to be top volume?
A:  Never background music.  I need to fully "experience" it. 

Q:  Do you sing along? Dance?
A:  Thankfully for the universe at large, no.

Q:  What percentage of music you listen to overall is U2?
A:  It depends.  Right now, maybe 5%.  Earlier this year, it was 90%.  It oscillates between those amounts.  I've been discovering a lot of new-to-me music this fall. 

Q:  Am I buggin' you?
A:  Nah.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 01:30:54 PM »
Plug one end into your phone and the other into your car and you're in business torturing your kids.

Just FYI.

Thank you and LOL

Offline World71R

• Refugee
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 09:43:07 PM »
Q: Home stereo? Car? Phone or MP3 player with headphones? Or Bluetooth speakers?
A: Phone + car, computer, Spotify, MP3 files.

Q: CD? MP3? Vinyl? Spotify?
A: Spotify, but MP3s and CD sometimes. I own every U2 album in CD format, except for October and TUF, but I have TUF in .mp3 format.

Q: Whole album? Favorite mix/playlist? Playlist you make on the fly?
A: Mostly what's on my shuffle. I do have a playlist called "The Morning Playlist" that I curate and add songs to each morning and play whenever I take showers. Here's a link to the most recent one that I'm on right now: 

Q: More studio, more live, good mix of both?
A: Studio with some live versions sprinkled in.

Q: Do you listen to the same stuff over and over or do you pull out fresh songs every day?
A: I never like to listen to the same songs two days in a row and usually seek out new songs a semi-regular basis.

Q: Listen alone or do you make your family listen? Do they like it or are they plotting to move out?
A: I make my family and friends (including my roommate) listen. My roommate has not moved out... yet  :P

Q: Do you ever listen to U2 as background music or does it always have to be top volume?
A: Depends on the situation, but usually in the forefront when I'm listening intentionally.

Q: Do you sing along? Dance?
A: I sing along ALL the time :D

Q: What percentage of music you listen to overall is U2?
A: Hard to say, but they are my most listened-to artist on Spotify.

Q: Am I buggin' you?
A: Nah, you're good.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 04:27:44 PM by World71R »

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 02:31:08 AM »
Q: Home stereo? Car? Phone or MP3 player with headphones? Or Bluetooth speakers?
A: Mostly car now. Home if I ever get an afternoon of peace. MP3 player at work occasionally.

Q: CD? MP3? Vinyl? Spotify?
A: CD Mostly. Have AB & Boy on vinyl, and the JT singles gift (which I thought was a great subscriber gift).

Q: Whole album? Favorite mix/playlist? Playlist you make on the fly?
A: Usually whole album in car. Though I made playlist of B sides/deep cuts which I enjoy at work sometimes.

Q: More studio, more live, good mix of both?
A: Studio.

Q: Do you listen to the same stuff over and over or do you pull out fresh songs every day?
A: Just depends on my mood. AB probably my most played. After that JT, Boy, ATYCLB, Pop. Recently mostly SOE which I love, and Zooropa and War have grabbed me.

Q: Listen alone or do you make your family listen? Do they like it or are they plotting to move out?
A: Alone largely. If I play music in the house it's normally something I know my wife will like too (she does like U2 but just not to same extent, though she does say she loves when they come on the radio because it makes her thing of me). Would like to play more in house so my daughter can start enjoying (she's only 2). She seems to enjoy The Blackout a lot :D

Q: Do you ever listen to U2 as background music or does it always have to be top volume?
A: Mostly top volume.

Q: Do you sing along? Dance?
A: A lot of singing in the car. Maybe some dancing if at home.

Q: What percentage of music you listen to overall is U2?
A: Probably 20%. I listen to a lot of other stuff but always come back to U2.

Q: Am I buggin' you?
A: Not at all

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 06:27:46 AM »
I'm enjoying reading how people listen!

I listen almost exclusively on my iPod with earbuds. Always top volume; if there's going to be background music it's not going to be U2.

I really like (prefer) to listen to a full album if I know I have the time and my mood is right, but more often I'm creating a playlist on the fly. I don't have any playlists that I keep; I put one together, listen, then clear it.

I like live tracks but usually I play studio. I find it jarring to switch between them on the fly. I do have a few favorite live songs but I play them one-off, not on a playlist. Also Dublin 1993 is basically an album to me.

If I'm learning a new album or song, I play that over and over. It takes me a few months to work through an album, and it's delicious (well, once it gets its hooks into me - painful before that). A song takes just a few days to burn through, which is interesting, because it suggests an album is greater than the sum of its parts.

Otherwise, I am looking to keep things fairly fresh. Some songs get a lot of play and some are pretty dusty but generally I'm changing things up. I might discover something new in an old song and spin it more but I try not to kill it (*cough*WOWY*cough*).

I listen alone. If I'm playing stuff in the car (rare these days) I sneak a couple of U2 songs on the playlist to indoctrinate my daughter. My propaganda campaign is working. But she's not gonna watch live videos with me (sniff).

I don't sing along but if I lived in a cabin in the middle of the woods with nobody around I WOULD. SUE ME. I sometimes do dance if I'm sure I won't get caught and I'm feeling good. Lip synching goes with the dancing. It's an effort to not sing.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 07:49:30 AM »
At home, I listen to an MP3 player with headphones.

In the car I listen to my CD's.

I like listening to the whole album if I have the time.  If not, I'll just jump around to whatever I feel like listening to.

I pretty much exclusively listen to studio versions.  For my live fix I watch the DVD's I own, or go to youtube.

Sometimes I'll just throw in whatever I feel like, but every so often I start a 13, (and now 14), week set where I just devote the whole week to each album.  (Kind of crazy, I know, but I like doing it.)  So I start with "Boy week" and listen to that album over and over for the full week.  Then it's on to "October week" and so forth.

I live alone, so I listen alone.  But I've managed to somewhat get my sister and niece into them.

I try to avoid having U2 as background music, because I feel like then I'll just sort of get sick of it without really enjoying it.

Sing along?  Check.  Other drivers on the road probably think I'm nuts...  Who cares.  Dance alone?  Somewhat.  Not a full-fledged dance, but sort of, you know, nodding my head along.

What percentage of U2 do I listen to is an interesting question...  For a good chunk of time, maybe about 8 months or so, I immerse myself in U2.  I listen almost every drive to and from work.  I watch the DVD's.  I go on Youtube.  Etc..  Then, to avoid making myself sick of them, I take a break of, usually about 3 months or so, where I starve myself completely of them.  Zero U2 at all.  To the point where, if a U2 song comes on the radio, I'll change the station.  I also have a non-U2 playlist on my MP3 player, where I just copied every song in my library except for U2.  I like putting that playlist on random shuffle.  My self imposed U2 famine can be hard, but it's always so great when it ends.  And when I do come back to it, my overall love of the band seems to go up each time.  I recommend a U2 famine.  Sometimes I'll go as long as I can until I'm yelling at my local radio stations for playing so much sh** and not enough U2.  Then, when I can't take anymore, I gorge myself with U2ey goodness again.  So to answer the question, for about 8 months I listen to about 95% U2, then for 3 months it's 0%.  So, if I did my math right, it comes out to about 69%.

Not buggin' me at all, but if you were, I know you wouldn't mean to.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
A U2 FAMINE. OMG.

I'm going to have to do this.

I'M NOT READY YET.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 06:28:46 PM »
Mostly from iphone using headphones. Will sometimes play a couple of tracks at home on speaker but family will quickly want their stuff on too so would be rare to get through an album.

Whilst I will play albums, I listen to a lot of live stuff too, whether it be bootlegs or my own perfect concert, taking my favourite live versions of my favourite songs. Have been doing versions of that for over 20 years. a lot easier these days with MP3s. I also have some play lists of what I think of as the forgotten albums. These are essentially B sides and other extras (eg from movies, Passengers songs, rare releases) that I have put together based on the relevant era. I basically have an 80s album, 2 from the 90s, a 2000s album and then what I called Songs of Ascent which includes songs they played on 360 tour that were never released (eg North Star, Soon, Glastonbury etc, a couple of Spiderman songs and things like that). That gives me an extra 5 U2 albums, with some pretty good stuff.

as for what % of music I listen to is U2, it varies. I will go through periods of U2 immersion but then if there is some other new stuff that comes out that I like, I will forget about U2 for a while. My guess is I probably average 10% to 15% U2.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 06:37:02 PM »
I'd be curious to know what's on your 80s and 90s "extras" albums. I have some pretty good guesses on the 90s but would love to see.