Author Topic: Is 90s u2 overhyped?  (Read 527 times)

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
Is 90s u2 overhyped?
« on: November 26, 2018, 11:16:35 PM »
Sure they put out awesome songs, but were the tours really that much better? They’re still doing loads of Achtung Baby and JT. But technology has gotten better sound wise and video screen-wise for the people in the back. What were standout moments of the 90s that were so much better than say Europe 2018 or TJT 17?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Is 90s u2 overhyped?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 03:58:40 AM »
Love is blindness 1993.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 09:25:19 AM »
I think some of the hype is from fans who didn't actually manage to experience it because they were too young or weren't into U2 then? ZooTv was awesome mind

Offline TheRealEdge

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • I Will Follow
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 11:06:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sure they put out awesome songs, but were the tours really that much better?

Yes.

What were standout moments of the 90s that were so much better than say Europe 2018 or TJT 17?

Mostly - everything.

There you go 2 answers to your questions.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:25:44 PM by singnomore »

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
Sure they put out awesome songs, but were the tours really that much better? They’re still doing loads of Achtung Baby and JT. But technology has gotten better sound wise and video screen-wise for the people in the back. What were standout moments of the 90s that were so much better than say Europe 2018 or TJT 17?

I would say the ZOO TV World Tour (1992-93) was better than what we witnessed in 2017-2018 in terms of arrangements & execution. With that being said, the tour was not without its flaws. The first leg of ZOO TV got off to a rocky start as the band was playing around with the arrangements on a number of songs & still working out the kinks especially in their execution. From what I recall it took the band over a month to get to the point on the tour where they felt comfortable with their songs after tweaking & fine-tuning the arrangements. Even in 1993 when the plan was to roll out songs from Zooropa, it wasn’t until the last 4-6 concerts of the European Leg that the new songs really came into their own.

As for the Popmart Tour, it has been documented how rough the opening night in Las Vegas was; also the concert setlist didn’t really solidify until the 2nd night in Chicago when they swapped the setlist order between Even Better & Gone, and IGWSHA was dropped in favor of New Years Day. I would also add that the Popmart Tour set the standard for U2 setlists that continues to this day: play most of the songs from the new album they’re promoting & sprinkle in some must play warhorses. The exception to that rule would be the last leg of the 360 Tour & the European leg of this year’s Experience + Innocence Tour.

If anything, I feel U2 just sounded better rehearsed on the tours they played in 2015, 2017, & 2018, just as it was for the Elevation, Vertigo, & 360 Tours. Regarding the technology, the constant is that U2 has had the backing of Island Records/Universal & Live Nation, so they've always had the deep pockets & resources to acquire the latest in sound & video tech to showcase their concerts, even as technology has evolved & become more sophisticated.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 06:40:12 PM by LToy »

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:11:36 PM »
Not overhyped, save that I don't quite get the fuss about Zooropa. It has some very good moments but songs like Daddy's Gonna Pay, Babyface and The Wanderer are all pretty poor for me. There is also some interesting material in The Passengers album and some other great B side or extra songs like HMTMKMKM, Lady With the Spinning Head, Holy Joe, let alone the Achtung Baby Working Tapes material. I never saw Zoo TV live but I wish I did. the Sydney DVD is awesome. RTSS into Streets still gives me tingles. Pop may have been rushed and they may not have been quite ready for Popmart but Pop is an unheralded masterpiece to me. Probably good that they didn't have time to muck it up by re-engineering those songs.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • I love the peaceful life.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
The thing about the 90s tours - and we're really talking Zoo TV here - is not that nothing they've done since was as big or as good, but that at the time it was NEW and MIND BLOWING. It was like they had suddenly taken concerts 20 years into the future.

Plus they had just mind-blowingly reinvented themselves after achieving BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD status.

It wasn't just about the show itself but the context of the time they were in.

And, don't kid yourself. It was BIG. The planning and execution of the screen and live video feed technology was tremendous even if it seems relatively simple today. It's like putting a rocket into space - we have bigger rockets today, but man was it a feat in 1955.

Plus we had characters, costume changes. Bono was in amazing form vocally.

No, Zoo TV isn't overhyped.

I do believe some of the later stuff is underhyped, though.

Offline ahittle

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
Beyond the technical feat, it was such a coup to pull it off after the ernest over-saturation of JT and especially R&H. They pivoted at exactly the right time, took some legitimately risky moves, and it paid off. They kicked off that tour playing 8 new songs in a row, which is bonkers.

As much as I like them, to me obviously Zooropa and even Pop feel like addendums to the original vision of AB. They kind of stretched the album to a decade-long journey.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »

Technology is better yes, but the band was younger back then and more enthusiastic, Bono's voice was stronger and more powerful, and what they were doing back then was new, fresh and edgy.  That simply cannot be duplicated nowadays no matter how big screens they use.

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 09:01:02 PM »

I would say the ZOO TV World Tour (1992-93) was better than what we witnessed in 2017-2018 in terms of arrangements & execution. With that being said, the tour was not without its flaws. The first leg of ZOO TV got off to a rocky start as the band was playing around with the arrangements on a number of songs & still working out the kinks especially in their execution. From what I recall it took the band over a month to get to the point on the tour where they felt comfortable with their songs after tweaking & fine-tuning the arrangements.

As for the Popmart Tour, it has been documented how rough the opening night in Las Vegas was; also the concert setlist didn’t really solidify until the 2nd night in Chicago when they swapped the setlist order between Even Better & Gone, and IGWSHA was dropped in favor of New Years Day.

I don't agree with this notion that the tours got better as they went farther into them...  sure Las Vegas PopMart had its rough spots but it sounds way better than say, the Mexico DVD from later on in the year, in my opinion...  if you compare Bono's voice, in particular, he's holding back in Mexico compared to the all-out assault he fashioned on opening night...  the rough edges and rawness was long gone by Mexico...  same with ZooTV and most of their other tours...  ZooTV at Madison Square Gardens early on sounds so much better than the later shows, and pretty much for the same reasons...  you don't need to look any farther than the opener of 'I Could Have Lost You/Zoo Station' which sounds heavy as hell before it was soon turned into a more theatrical entrance that became almost "mechanical" (for lack of a better word) thereafter...

The band, if better rehearsed, sounds like they're going through the motions and becoming somewhat bored the longer that the tours progressed...  Vancouver 2017 sounds so much better than the later '30th Anniversary Joshua Tree' shows as well...  the opening night jitters, technical tweaks, etc. all make for an excitement vibe that's not so easily matched afterwards and, as I all ready eluded to, the band is fresh for it straight from the start...

as for the 90's hype, the ZooTV Tour was truly extraordinary and warranted the hype...  PopMart was certainly "overhyped" but it was most suitable to the whole Pop phase where they were mocking themselves by design, trouble is that the majority of the fans weren't getting the joke...  I struggle with those who continue to trumpet how great PopMart and the album were for it really wasn't happening for them back then...  the PopMart show that I was at in Vancouver (less than a week after Mexico) saw a half empty stadium which emptied out even further before 'Wake Up Dead Man' (the encore) had even started...  compared to the sold-out ZooTV show at the same venue only 5 years earlier where the crowd was still buzzing enthusiastically out on the streets afterwards, I was a little concerned about the band's future after that, to be honest...

The 'POP' album was an experiment that didn't work out...  The 'Achtung Baby' & 'Zooropa' experiments were brilliant so I guess that two outta three ain't so bad...  It's hard to compare these 90's tours to anything that they're doing today...  the band came out of it reborn and, in some cases, never to revisit some of this phase in their career ever again...  a better comparison would be the two 'Joshua Tree' tours, which I fortunately had the pleasure of experiencing both...  the 1987 show can't be topped in the atmospheric department, I mean, Bono was in God mode back then and millions were following him...  the 2017 show, in my opinion, topped it musically however and the presentation was much more polished...  and a lot of that was due to ZooTV/PopMart...:-)

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2018, 03:18:27 PM »
Don't know about the tours but I do feel the albums were really special and they are worth listening to with  fresh ears.