Author Topic: Songs Of Experience one year since release  (Read 818 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Songs Of Experience one year since release
« on: December 01, 2018, 09:24:28 AM »
What has happened to the album for you?

As with almost all U2 albums the tour elevated certain songs that were regular set lists.

Going into songs of experience I honestly had less fear with the album than any other past albums as we had already heard "the little things" and a couple of others I knew that the album was going to be really incredible. I remember this day last year I drove out into the desert to listen to the album from start to finish and finished that moment with such a level of satisfaction being so happy about how great the record was. Since the year has gone by I think certain songs have changed position, love is bigger probably is my favorite especially after the Abbey Road version that we first heard live. A great song like the little things has kind of slipped away on me as I didn't hear it live at all in 2018 however I think over the test of time the little things will probably slip back into the top three for me where it originally was. I went to 7 of the shows on the tour, in three cities. And was not disappointed at any single one of them. As of right now I still would say this is one of the best albums ever. But as with all albums only the test of time will tell. If this was their last album, which honestly I don't think it would be I think it would be a fantastic album to end on, with love is bigger and 13 closing the career. So all-in-all after one year I am still so grateful for this record and the tour. What are your thoughts?

Offline JonD

• Stateless
Re: Songs Of Experience one year since release
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 10:11:16 AM »
Songs of Experience was personally unique to me as it was released on my birthday. I must say it was one of the best presents I ever received. Lol. I have listened to it many times and still love it, especially LIAWHL, LOH, SOL, RFL,Blackout, and 13. I listened to it last night as a “bookend” to this year and Little Things stood out. It represents the album incredibly well and really conveys “experience” in both lyric and mood. After a full year I finally “got it” and it was like a new song...sort of like another gift.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:09:05 AM »
Happy Birthday, Jon!

As for me, I still don't think one year is enough time to fully have the novelty wear off.  It's by far still the album I turn to most often that I want to listen to.  Does that mean it's by far my favourite of all time?  Probably not, though I suspect that it will be right there in the top 3 with Acthung Baby and The Joshua Tree for me, even years from now.

When Songs Of Innocence came out, I thought it was really good, and now four years later it's probably my 5th or 6th favourite.  However, at no time, even after it just came out, did I think that it could compete with their two masterpieces as I see them.  Songs Of Experience was different.  I thought for the first time when their new albums came out after I became a fan of theirs in 2000 that, at least potentially, those two could be matched, and 365 days later I haven't changed my mind.

Initially, I remember thinking that Love Is Bigger could end up competing with my favourite song ever, and while I still love it, I don't even think it's my favourite on the album anymore.  On the other end of the spectrum, I thought that The Showman was the one song preventing this from being a classic, but I've learned to even like that one quite a bit.

For me the album has five songs that are absolute classics, with my favourite of those probably now being Get Out Of Your Own Way.  Following closely behind is You're The Best Thing About Me, then probably The Little Things, then Love Is Bigger, then Red Flag Day.  Love, love, love all five of those.  Then, among the other eight, they would all be ranked pretty close to each other, and all pretty high among their entire past catalogue.

In conclusion, maybe it's too early to say this, but as of now I consider this to be their 3rd masterpiece.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »
Songs of Experience still sounds good to me one year later.  It is not the album that I wanted, I was hoping for more of a "dream it all up again" album, but they were determined to make a pop-rock album and they made a very good one.  I think Little Things and Love Is Bigger are beautiful songs.  Love Is Bigger is a top 25 U2 song to me and could be even better with the right re-mix. I think we will hear the song in future tours. The message is classic U2. 

Songs of Innocence was a similar album, but it was much more disjointed.  Unlike SOE, it did not have an consistent sound and feel.  SOE has a great album cover that fits the mood of the album.  The SOI album covers were terrible.  So, I give U2 credit for fixing a lot of thing they did wrong on SOI and creating a very good album.  Now it is time to "dream it all up again". 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:30:05 AM by goldtoad »

Offline Marvinho

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 01:15:21 PM »
I really like it and listen to it far more than Songs of Innocence. Little Things is the nearest U2 have come to a proper classic U2 song in an age and I find Landlady keeps dragging me back. Really good album but I do find  You're The Best Thing very lightweight. Not as bad as Boots but it tempts me to skip ...

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »
It's still sticking with me in a way that No Line or Songs Of Innocence didn't. I still listen to it regularly and think about it a lot. I would have almost certainly continued to love U2's music if they had released a different album, but this album really reignited my faith in them as an ambitious band that could still achieve greatness and true surprises. It did a very good job of rekindling my appreciation of them. When I think that I need to listen to some U2 these days, I either go to my all releases U2 playlist or my Songs Of Experience playlist.

Offline Lebowski

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 09:33:09 AM »
I still listen to select tracks from it, but I never listen to the whole thing anymore.

The album could have been greatly improved by Love Is All We Have Left being fully formed (should have been a 5-6 minute slow burner instead of ending so quickly), American Soul being thrown in the trash can, and The Blackout having as much energy as the video did (with the dubbed in crowd noise) instead of sounding lifeless.

Do those things and rework the running order and the album becomes much better, IMO.

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
"Songs of Experience" is a great album!!!
The Blackout
Lights of home
Love is all we have left
Summer of love
Red Flag Day
The Little Things
Landlady
The Book of your heart
The Best Thing
The Showman
all those songs are masterpieces!!!

Even the songs that I didn't like a lot at first, now, sound great!!!
Get out of your own way
American Soul
Love is bigger than anything in its way

I'm a huge U2 fan and I was very disappointed by "Songs of Innocence". For the first time, I was not listening to a U2 album at all. This is not a bad album, but something is missing. For me, Bono's voice is not goOD on "Songs of Innocence", except on the songs :
Sleep like a baby tonight
This is where you can reach me now
The Troubles
The Crystal Ballroom
and Invisible
which means all the songs the band recorded with Danger Mouse.
In my opinion, U2 shouldn't rerecorded the songs with Ryan Tedder, and Paul Epworth.

So, when "Songs of Experience" was released, I could feel again the fragility that I love so much in Bono's voice.
The first time I heard "Love is all we have left", I even cried. Same for "The Little Things".
And I also like the narrative arc of the album, the way Bono's voice and Edge's voice are talking all along.
"Songs of Experience" is very theatrical and complexe. Love it!!!

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 04:34:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's still sticking with me in a way that No Line or Songs Of Innocence didn't. I still listen to it regularly and think about it a lot. I would have almost certainly continued to love U2's music if they had released a different album, but this album really reignited my faith in them as an ambitious band that could still achieve greatness and true surprises. It did a very good job of rekindling my appreciation of them. When I think that I need to listen to some U2 these days, I either go to my all releases U2 playlist or my Songs Of Experience playlist.

This. SOE has more staying power for me than anything since ATYCLB. It's the only album of any artist that I've had sitting in my car for the whole year, so when the feeling takes me I can listen.

LIAWHL pulls me in every time, the rest of the album feels like a real journey. Little Things was a highlight from the start, Love Is Bigger at first I thought was too OTT, but one day I was listening and started singing along and felt quite emotional, it's stuck with me since.
Showman I actually love too, I rank that higher than AS and Blackout.

It's a brilliant U2 album, and as I've said a number of times in my top 7, possibly top 5.

Offline kevtn43

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 09:09:22 AM »
I still listen to this album, i got this album as a Christmas present from my kids i remember that we listened to it right after I opened it we just drove around in the car to listen to it
I still love all the songs on it,the only song that I skip on it is the "you're the best thing about me " with kygo i skipped it then and i still do lol
I would rank this album with joshua tree, achtung baby, all that you can't leave behind, as well as how to dismantle a atomic bomb i really love this album

Offline julez728

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »
For me, the album has lost the luster of when it was released.  I believe I gave it a 4 out of 5 when it was released and now I think I would give it a 3 out of 5 at best.  I really like Little Things and Landlady.  Love is All We Have Left, Lights of Home, Red Flag Day, The Blackout, and 13 are alright songs.  The remaining songs are mediocre, in my opinion, and don't do much for me.

As far as the tour goes, I went to 3 shows and while I enjoyed the shows, it was my least favorite tour of theirs that I've seen...I've been to every tour since Popmart.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 11:38:12 AM »
Actually listened to this twice this weekend back to back. What a great album. Honestly as I lived with both for a while now, I enjoy Experience more than Innocence. It's up there in my favorite U2 albums from the 2000's.

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
One year later, and a few shows on the tour later I still find this album (as with Songs of Innocence) to be total crap. I deeply miss the classic albums that stopped to be released after Achtung Baby.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 04:29:05 PM »
I think SOE is far superior to SOI.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2018, 07:46:19 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry, but I completely disagree, the quality of the songwriting featured in SOI is another level above SOE.

I think SOI's one of their best albums. Conceptually, lyrically, melodically, I think it's one of their best. SOE def has its moments but even though it's grown on me, to me it still comes off as U2 realizing they need hit singles if they want to stay relevant.

I completely agree. I dont understand why everyone seems to think that SOE is the superior album. SOI is much better song writing wise in my opinion although its productions is not quite as good.

On SOE I only fully enjoy 3 songs: Red Flag Day, Summer of Love and 13. I think the album lacks necessity and a coherent theme. Why is it called Songs of Experience? SOI is way more coherent in its theme which I like.