Author Topic: Does liking Pop and Zooropa go hand in hand with liking SOI and NLOTH?  (Read 2709 times)

u2music

Re: Does liking Pop and Zooropa go hand in hand with liking SOI and NLOTH?
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 08:13:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I find the latest U2 music leave me feeling quite depressed.  To be honest I prefer not to think about my death or explore Bono's feeling on his death, aging or current relationship with god or whatever.  I am in my fifties and have elderly failing parents and sick friends and I actually don't want to dwell on this stuff.  I try and avoid too much self reflection because it scares me lol.  I know Bono is an artist and draws on his experiences but at this point in my life they depress me for some reason. I viewed that sort of theme in a different context when I was younger but now I am living it I don't want more of it.  This has become much more apparent in the last 5 years.  I now understand why my mother didn't want to watch certain TV programs that I used to find interesting.

I also find the actual music uninteresting and I personally can't really distinguish it any more as uniquely U2.

However U2 old music still speaks to me in volumes for some intangible reason and I never get tired of the the old Edge and that echoing chiming guitar, it makes my heart drop every time I hear it ringing through the old music and you can feel Bono's energy shining through.  I also still have a great deal of respect for Bono as I recognise him to be a very genuine person, the band as well.

So I have turned to many artists over my life but with U2 the old music still speaks to me even if the new doesn't.   Maybe because the music also contains echos of the past.

Very well said, thank you!  I can't do justice to your words but will add a couple small thoughts of mine.

I'm in my late 50's and am experiencing everything about death regarding my Mother.  I don't need U2 to remind me of that.  The music depresses me too and to me it is so bland.  There is nothing to grasp on.  And the music is so unlike U2.  It's pitiful really.   

Like you, I fall back to U2's past for something meaningful.  I miss the "echoing chiming" Edge guitar work and the music with meaningful themes.  I think the producers of these last two albums, took the guitar out of Edge's hands.  I believe in Bono and the group.  I just hope they can turn it around the next time and make the music memorable again.

Not much more I can add to your post.  You summed up how I feel excellently!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 02:46:45 PM »
Well, if I believed death was a concrete door instead of a window I guess I'd find the constant references to mortality depressing too.  But I don't.  I don't think your grandparents legacy ends w/ you and your sister.  They planted seeds that will impact your children, your children's children, etc.  Then there is also the community of saints or cloud of witnesses or whatever you want to call it who stand as silent witnesses.  I just happen to believe that our choices, our actions, our love reverberates and touches the world in many ways that are perhaps unseen but nevertheless important.

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »
U2music, I suppose you're right in the sense that we don't appreciate albums the same way according to our own journeys through life.
And it's true that a lot of themes that are in SOE were already present on All that you can't leave behind, Pop and NLOTH (esp. introspection and mortality...).
BTW, even after all these years, listening to "Kite" can make my eyes water as it brings back memories of lost ones (although I do find some strange solace in it as well).
And I found some of the lyrics on SOE seemingly either worrying (about looming death) or a bit naive (ex. American Soul / The Blackout) although I liked the musical energy of those tracks.
The nod to music from the 70s in SOI/SOE (70s -inspired guitar work as on Lights of home or California or Summer of love) seemed to me a bit less original at first (could have been from another band) but then I grew to like it.
I do miss the chiming/echoing vibe though, and I miss the "build-up towards a musical climax" that was contained in a lot of U2 songs of the past - although some of the songs still have it (end of Lights of home or Little Things...). Songs such as Summer of love or You're the best thing about me felt more repetitive.
Anyway I suppose I fit the description of people who did like Pop, Zooropa, NLOTH and SOI as well and I had the feeling that they were underrated (although I wasn't crazy about every track on them and I did like HTDAB and All that you can't leave behind as well).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 03:09:49 PM by BlueSquirrel »

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 10:16:40 PM »
I'm a huge fan of the 90s and I agree with you about "No Line On The Horizon"
but NOT about "Songs of Innocence". I was very disappointed by this record, and still am. My favorite songs on it are the ones Danger Mouse produced alone like "Invisible", "Sleep like a baby tonight", "This is where you can reach me now"...
I wish I liked it more, but I'm never listening to it.

To me, "Songs of Experience" is far more interesting and experimental than "Songs of Innocence",
whether you like it or not, songs like "The Blackout", "Lights of Home", "Love is all we have left", "The Book of your heart", "Summer of love", "Love is bigger than anything in its way" or even "The Best Thing" (in a more subtle way) are very experimental.

"Songs of Experience" is, for me, the best album since "PoP". When I first heard it, I was very surprised. And one year on, I'm still fascinated by the different sounds and musical structure of the album.

disagree the songs on SOE are bland and forced, they are just the band desperately trying to appeal to the kids, sound modern and make radio hits, they are embarrassing, lyric wise and the songwriting is overly derived and cliche. Also many of the songs on SOE are over-produced especially the Blackout which is ruined by watered down production.
My God, "The Blackout" especially is the most experimental song of the two albums, and you don't like it! You were talking about the 90s, the most experimental part of the band history, and you feel like "The Blackout" is over-produced!

Can you hear the dinosaur on the song? Can you hear the weight of the dinosaur steps through Adam's bassline? Can you hear the dinosaur's shouting through the edge's guitar? Can you hear U2 embrassing their destiny as a dinosaur band? It's brilliant in my ears!!!

You also mentionned the fact U2 want to please the kids, I heard those critics by the past when the band released "Pop" and "Achtung Baby". I was a kid when I became a U2 fan, and I'm glad the band were making radio hits, so I had the chance to discover them. Now, I'm 38, and I still like and admire the fact U2 want to sound fresh and modern.

Plodding dad-rock that thinks it holds a non-existent swagger, overcooking, polishing and bad mixing take their toll.

The lyrics are embarrassing and Larry's drums should explode in the chorus, yet they're barely there at all. They were close on this one but the missteps really knock it down. It's clunky and the melody of the chorus lets it down.

Those heralding The Blackout as a return to the AB era's sound need to listen to Achtung Baby again. Stilted.  Strained.  More noise than music
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:18:59 PM by fodiktet »

u2music

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:06 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the 90s and I agree with you about "No Line On The Horizon"
but NOT about "Songs of Innocence". I was very disappointed by this record, and still am. My favorite songs on it are the ones Danger Mouse produced alone like "Invisible", "Sleep like a baby tonight", "This is where you can reach me now"...
I wish I liked it more, but I'm never listening to it.

To me, "Songs of Experience" is far more interesting and experimental than "Songs of Innocence",
whether you like it or not, songs like "The Blackout", "Lights of Home", "Love is all we have left", "The Book of your heart", "Summer of love", "Love is bigger than anything in its way" or even "The Best Thing" (in a more subtle way) are very experimental.

"Songs of Experience" is, for me, the best album since "PoP". When I first heard it, I was very surprised. And one year on, I'm still fascinated by the different sounds and musical structure of the album.

disagree the songs on SOE are bland and forced, they are just the band desperately trying to appeal to the kids, sound modern and make radio hits, they are embarrassing, lyric wise and the songwriting is overly derived and cliche. Also many of the songs on SOE are over-produced especially the Blackout which is ruined by watered down production.
My God, "The Blackout" especially is the most experimental song of the two albums, and you don't like it! You were talking about the 90s, the most experimental part of the band history, and you feel like "The Blackout" is over-produced!

Can you hear the dinosaur on the song? Can you hear the weight of the dinosaur steps through Adam's bassline? Can you hear the dinosaur's shouting through the edge's guitar? Can you hear U2 embrassing their destiny as a dinosaur band? It's brilliant in my ears!!!

You also mentionned the fact U2 want to please the kids, I heard those critics by the past when the band released "Pop" and "Achtung Baby". I was a kid when I became a U2 fan, and I'm glad the band were making radio hits, so I had the chance to discover them. Now, I'm 38, and I still like and admire the fact U2 want to sound fresh and modern.

Plodding dad-rock that thinks it holds a non-existent swagger, overcooking, polishing and bad mixing take their toll.

The lyrics are embarrassing and Larry's drums should explode in the chorus, yet they're barely there at all. They were close on this one but the missteps really knock it down, very clunky and the melody of the chorus lets it down.

Those heralding The Blackout as a return to the AB era's sound need to listen to Achtung Baby again. Stilted.  Strained.  More noise than music

<<Off Topic>>

Just wanted to say that I love your avatar.  Rastaman Vibration!

• Child of Grace
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2018, 05:37:41 PM »
Did you see "The Blackout" live?  It really rocked!

Offline BlueSquirrel

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2018, 03:16:37 AM »
Agreed! It sounded fantastic live!
There was so much energy packed in it that it was brilliant to listen and to dance to!
 BTW it didn't sound like something out of Achtung Baby (which was the point), nevertheless it was stellar in its own way!

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
I have a love hate relationship with 13. I thinks itís a awesome song but it also makes me depressed. Itís like saying goodbye to the world for good and puts bad thoughts into mind

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2018, 07:18:04 PM »
I have a love hate relationship with 13. I thinks itís a awesome song but it also makes me depressed. Itís like saying goodbye to the world for good and puts bad thoughts into mind

These days I just choose to listen to songs that make me feel good whether it be a particular guitar riff, good memories or even sadness mixed with good memories from the past.  I stopped listening to several songs off the latest U2 albums that initially I quite liked but over time started filling me with a sense of melancholy.  As soon as that started happening I stopped listening to them.  I remember a friend of mine just couldn't listen to Push by Matchbox 20 because of her own personal situation.  I loved it but it didn't have the same connotations for me as for her.  Such is music.

Take care and don't let those thoughts overwhelm you.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2019, 09:17:58 AM »
Not really.

First, I think Zooropa is a fantastic record but don't much care for Pop. I find NLOTH and SOI are very different records. NLOTH is a mess with quite brilliant spots (and some real lows as well). Whereas SOI is a lot tighter and cohesive, but quite a bit more conservative, but average throughout.

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »
I enjoy heavy, depressing lyrics, I find them cathartic, which is probably why I will always love 90s alternative and all their 90s stuff in particular.  I love SOE and find most of it beautiful.  Yes, some of the rhymes in Blackout are ridiculous, but I do think it was done in a tongue in cheek way instead of with any earnestness.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
I enjoy heavy, depressing lyrics, I find them cathartic, which is probably why I will always love 90s alternative and all their 90s stuff in particular.  I love SOE and find most of it beautiful.  Yes, some of the rhymes in Blackout are ridiculous, but I do think it was done in a tongue in cheek way instead of with any earnestness.

I was fine with them and also liked them when I was much younger but these days not so much especially exploring mortality.  I have several friends recently who didn't make it so they didn't get to reflect on survival. 

• Child of Grace
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2019, 07:33:15 PM »
I don't think Bono finds the concept of death quite as dismal as some.  He's a man of faith and I think it informs his view.  Of course everyone prefers to consider death more theoretically than actually, lol.

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2019, 07:56:50 PM »

I was fine with them and also liked them when I was much younger but these days not so much especially exploring mortality.  I have several friends recently who didn't make it so they didn't get to reflect on survival.
I get that, Iím not so young anymore, although I am not on the older end of U2 fans (early 40s) and in 20 years I may feel different. We all come at the music from different points in life and with different experiences, I wasnít judging your preference for lighter music

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2019, 11:38:09 PM »

I get that, Iím not so young anymore, although I am not on the older end of U2 fans (early 40s) and in 20 years I may feel different. We all come at the music from different points in life and with different experiences, I wasnít judging your preference for lighter music

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Early forties is young! lol.  Well from my perspective it is anyway!  At your age I didn't give dying or mortality a second thought!  I try not to now except people keep dying unexpectedly. Fit healthy people like Bono and myself and then suddenly boom they are gone.   I can understand why it would influence Bono's songwriting.