Author Topic: Do you think Songs Of Innocence is underrated?  (Read 2625 times)

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Do you think Songs Of Innocence is underrated?
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2018, 07:35:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Arghhhh I really blew it and I'm really sorry to everyone. 

It would make sense if I could explain but it doesn't matter because in my attempt to not be an a****** I managed to do an a****** thing by posting drama (I love the peaceful life dammit). I realize now what I should have done, too late.

Very sorry for that, and sorry that u2music unregistered and we lost a contributor to this forum. I hope they come back.

And to a particular person, you know who you are, reread my Troubles post again. It was for you, but only in a good way. Everything you were afraid of about me wasn't true.

Crikey! all over an interpretation of a song!  I quite enjoy reading other peoples interpretations of U2 lyrics because often I realise that I was on a completely different track lol.  I have know idea why u2music unregistered either and why they thought it was best all round.  All very cryptic.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Arghhhh I really blew it and I'm really sorry to everyone. 

It would make sense if I could explain but it doesn't matter because in my attempt to not be an a****** I managed to do an a****** thing by posting drama (I love the peaceful life dammit). I realize now what I should have done, too late.

Very sorry for that, and sorry that u2music unregistered and we lost a contributor to this forum. I hope they come back.

And to a particular person, you know who you are, reread my Troubles post again. It was for you, but only in a good way. Everything you were afraid of about me wasn't true.
I also don’t understand what’s going on but what I know is that your post about the song’s meaning was deeply insightful and a great contribution to the forum, as your posts usually are. I considered the song to be about domestic abuse specifically but, as you pointed out, it can cover other forms of abuse that are intended to belittle and oppress people and rob them of the freedom and dignity to which they are entitled.

Speaking of which, a particularly sneaky and pernicious form of oppression which seems to have infected our society is the tactic of trying to shut people down by claiming they have said something “offensive” or “harmful.” I listen when someone seems hurt, and try to fix whatever misunderstanding may have occurred, or error on my part if there is one, but I also know that in the end I am only responsible for my own words and intentions, and I have a right to express myself. I do not have the power to control or heal whatever is going on inside another person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2018, 04:32:33 PM »
It was a misunderstanding and it was my fault. I wish I could undo my weird post - not the one about the song but the one after - but I can't. Nobody actually tried to shut me down. Sorry again for derailing the thread, but everything is okay.

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2018, 07:59:54 AM »
I think SOI is a solid album, I like it a lot, however when I started to rank my favorite U2 albums it fell near the bottom. I think that is indicicative, for me anyway, how they have many truly solid albums

Offline Rainy Hammer

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »
I didn't find much of interest on SOI except Cedarwood Road--which is great. And, maybe, Volcano. But, maybe I'm not qualified to speak about any of the albums since How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb because I was obsessed with that album, and, frankly, I don't think it likely that they will ever make an album that good--or one that measures up to any before. I hate to be so cynical. I adore U2. I sampled SOE on the Internet: Nothing caught my attention. And I was sincerely dissappointed with NLOTH. Although, Breathe was a monster.... I'm sorry. Once again, U2 is awesome. I still take a walk and play Achtung Baby nearly everyday.
I hope they revisit it for an anniversity ZOOTV tour. Contemporary times demand it. I think Social Media is nefarious as hell....

Offline Gazoon

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »
For me highlights include Every Break Wave, Song for Someone and the 'I get so many things I don't deserve' section of The Miracle. A few other songs came alive on stage, such as Iris and Raised By Wolves. I thought these were performed really well.

It's a shame The Troubles couldn't work better live, as that was a really interesting song.

Ultimately, I feel the album lacks raw emotions (other than in every breaking wave and song for someone) and perhaps lacks inventiveness in parts.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:22:17 PM by singnomore »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 10:33:47 PM »
no...  easily their weakest collection...  atleast 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' was front loaded with 4 worthy tracks, but this one only 2?...  aside from the poor songwriting it's sugarcoated with production that's every bit as dire...  thankfully the band wasn't playing any songs from this album towards the end of the last tour and hopefully that's the last we hear of them...

'The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)' & 'Every Breaking Wave' stand up to their post-90's classics, but didn't sound very good live, in my opinion...  'The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)' worked as a rousing opener but isn't as sonically pleasing without the studio gloss, this from a band where a vast majority of their recordings sound much better performed live...  'Every Breaking Wave' just doesn't do it for me "unplugged", would've liked for the whole band to play it instead...

another track of note is 'Volcano' which hints at vintage U2, but I wouldn't give it much more than "strong B-Side" status...  the whole 'Innocence' + 'Experience' would've worked much better as a single album and one tour, in my opinion, with most of the meat coming from the solid 'Experience' album...  too much personal stuff on 'Innocence' that only the four of them can relate to which was much better executed for the masses on 'Experience'...:-) 

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 03:54:12 AM »
I think it's rated. It's not better or worse than it's mixed reputation amongst fans.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »
The songwriting on this album sure is underrated. As far as the arrangements are concerned, I feel they should have left more Danger Mouse influence on there.