Author Topic: No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience  (Read 1947 times)

Offline wons

• Numb
No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience
« on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »
That's right, U2 has been completely shut out of the Grammy nominations for 2018 although Songs Of Experience was well within the eligibility period for this years Grammy nominations. Incredible that a band that has won 22 Grammy awards now cannot even get a single nomination for their work.

Offline 64ac30

• Refugee
Re: No Grammy nominations for the music on Songs Of Experience
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
Well this is a surprise. It didn’t even get nominated.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 04:25:55 PM »
I am so sad!!! Not even a nod to "best tour" (tour means high grossing ancient legend acts, relevancy be damned)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 05:12:09 PM »
I love U2 but this album was not grammy material, IMHO.  Looking forward to a great next release with more of the creativity they’ve exhibited in the past that has won them many grammy awards.  Its not over!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 05:45:02 PM »
15 of U2's 22 Grammy wins come from just two albums:

7 wins for ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND

8 wins for HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB

The album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb was actually awarded 9 times, but one of the awards, best produced album, went to Steve Lillywhite.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 05:47:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am so sad!!! Not even a nod to "best tour" (tour means high grossing ancient legend acts, relevancy be damned)

The Grammy awards are for recorded music. There are no tour awards at the Grammy's.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 05:49:34 PM »
Well this is a surprise. It didn’t even get nominated.

Yep, its sad. Songs Of Innocence did get one nomination for Rock Album of the Year 3 years ago, but did not win. Looks like that will wind up being U2's only nomination at the Grammy awards for their work in this decade.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 06:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the factoids brah. U can bet U2 won't perform at Grammys 2019, their vacation year.

Soome songs on SoE deserve to be heard by the masses, anf critical aclaim. Landlady is more beautiful than Ed Sheeran.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 08:10:01 PM »
Doesn't it seem though that the Grammy's are somewhat meaningless?  I mean, HTDAAB won so many Grammy's but seems to me far from their best work.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:27 PM »
Doesn't it seem though that the Grammy's are somewhat meaningless?  I mean, HTDAAB won so many Grammy's but seems to me far from their best work.
Yeah, that was weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:28:41 AM »

I rank HTDAAB as their 3rd best work, just after Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. So no, I think its very meaningful and important, or at least it always used to be. Of course, who gets nominated and wins is dependent upon the current composition of Grammy voters which is around 15,000 people who work in the music industry.

Still, its shocking to see U2 not get any nominations for their newest album or even for a song on the newest album, Songs Of Experience. Every U2 album has been nominated or had songs on it nominated for Grammy awards since the Joshua Tree. That's 9 albums in a row starting in 1987 that have received nominations and now suddenly NOTHING! I'm sure the band and management were surprised as well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:30:20 AM by wons »

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 07:52:37 AM »
Regarding the references to ATYCLB and HTDAAB getting nominations, Beautiful Day and Vertigo were pretty big singles as far as cultural impact. I mean, I don't know if I'd have ever been aware of SOE if I weren't already such a big U2 fan, or I at least would not have cared as much. Their tours may be massive, but the only record of theirs that seemed to get a huge amount of publicity anytime in recent years was SOI, and that wasn't for a good reason.

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 09:39:56 AM »
SOE came out in December, 2017.  According to the article linked below:

"Let me make this clear: songs and albums must have been released between October 1, 2016 and September 30, 2017, in order to be in contention for the upcoming Grammys."

Sorry, u2music, but you're wrong. What you quote here is the eligibility for the Grammys this year (2018). To be eligible for the 2019 Grammys - which is what we're talking about here - an album would have had to have been released between October '17 and Sept '18 - hence SOE IS eligible.

And this:

"U2, who stand as the group with the most Grammy wins in history (they’ve collected an astounding 22 trophies in their decades together) have a new album entitled Songs Of Experience coming shortly, but since it’s not out until December, it’s not even close to the cutoff date."

So, they did not make the cutoff date, something contrary to what the OP thinks.  They were NOT "well within the eligibility period for this years Grammy nominations", as the OP wants you to think.  It's as simple as that.

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 09:45:36 AM »
U2music - you're wrong. You are quoting the rules for the 2018 awards.

For the 2019 Grammys SOE IS eligible. Suggest you read the rules properly yourself.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 11:06:08 AM »
Maybe I'm in the minority but the GRAMMY's mean less and less about the music each year.........