Author Topic: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec  (Read 4509 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Looooong Bono interview, Chicago, 6th Dec
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Before I spend 30 minutes of my live to Bono (ok am listening to Joshua Tree at the moment), what's it about?
Its nothing you haven’t heard before if you’re a big U2 Fan.  The first 10 minutes or so are the host gooing over Bono and then it gets really boring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eh, since when is Bono boring? I know he says things time and time again.  But he's informative, entertaining and funny. 
You need more than 30 minutes with Bono. 
I spent my hour at 1.30am and stayed awake throughout.  Couldn't sleep, although felt much more relaxed and sleepier after that!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 11:10:36 AM by 73October »

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 01:22:37 PM »
Before I spend 30 minutes of my live to Bono (ok am listening to Joshua Tree at the moment), what's it about?
Its nothing you haven’t heard before if you’re a big U2 Fan.  The first 10 minutes or so are the host gooing over Bono and then it gets really boring.

Boring according to the fan that likes to SIT DOWN at U2 shows.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 04:50:48 PM »

Boring according to the fan that likes to SIT DOWN at U2 shows.
Haha, boys and girls this is going the wrong direction. I would sit down when it's boring as well  ;).

I get your point. I hated the campaign voor "Bono's organisation" before  during and after the show, but did enjoy the show  :).

Maybe I'll watch it

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 05:26:38 PM »
I confess, I get bored hearing about the content (Bono's charities, although God love him for doing it); nevertheless, the man's manner of speaking, accent, inflections, smile, etc. are still priceless.  He's still a fascinating person and one of this age"s great philanthropists and personalities.

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
Also, he's always maintained a great sense of humor over the years, as shown in this video.

One of the things I love about Bono is that he is quick to make fun of himself and talk about his short comings, not in a forced way but in really honest way, he's very humble and you can see that he's human like all of us - vulnerable, self-loathing and definitely not perfect in any sense of the word, but he has a great fear of failure and strives to be the best he can

He's always quick to point out things he's gotten wrong, and what I've noticed is that he aims to speak at the level of others, not down to others,
I really notice him trying to achieve this in interviews and interactions with people.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 10:39:56 PM by fodiktet »

u2music

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »
He really isn't Bono, he's actually Bono Vox.  At least, that's what they called him way back in the day.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:55 AM »
I confess, I get bored hearing about the content (Bono's charities, although God love him for doing it); nevertheless, the man's manner of speaking, accent, inflections, smile, etc. are still priceless.  He's still a fascinating person and one of this age"s great philanthropists and personalities.
he talks about this in the interview, but he has always seemed to live by this

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 01:50:31 PM »
I really respect Bono for what he does to contribute.  Sometimes I just get tired of hearing about it.  My bad, I think.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »
I really respect Bono for what he does to contribute.  Sometimes I just get tired of hearing about it.  My bad, I think.
Americans eat up celebrity so I think we wear it out by asking him and taking pictures of him and having him speak.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2018, 09:30:07 AM »
He's a genius and I don't say that lightly.

There are some seriously deep philosophical and ethical concepts that he is referring to in there. It's easy to blow off because he sums them up in little slogans or whatever but you know he's done the work unpacking these ideas and isn't just parroting one liners.

I know most of the concepts he has said before, but that doesn't bring down the astuteness.

Might watch again and take notes. But one example, and I know he's been saying it for years, is the charity vs justice concept which sounds like not a big deal but it is. I had been reading through Malcolm Gladwell's books and partway through the first one I was thinking, man, Bono should read this. Then had similar thoughts at various points in other books, and finally heard Edge somewhere saying that they had in fact been reading him. Anyway there's a whole book dedicated to the importance of justice, and I know that it was merely one leeettle itty bitty piece of the philosophy he's been sewing together. And he reads a lot thicker stuff than Gladwell to be sure.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2018, 10:49:56 AM »

There are some seriously deep philosophical and ethical concepts that he is referring to in there. It's easy to blow off because he sums them up in little slogans or whatever but you know he's done the work unpacking these ideas and isn't just parroting one liners.

I know most of the concepts he has said before, but that doesn't bring down the astuteness.

Might watch again and take notes. But one example, and I know he's been saying it for years, is the charity vs justice concept which sounds like not a big deal but it is. I had been reading through Malcolm Gladwell's books and partway through the first one I was thinking, man, Bono should read this. Then had similar thoughts at various points in other books, and finally heard Edge somewhere saying that they had in fact been reading him. Anyway there's a whole book dedicated to the importance of justice, and I know that it was merely one leeettle itty bitty piece of the philosophy he's been sewing together. And he reads a lot thicker stuff than Gladwell to be sure.
that’s what I would do
If I didn’t work read more

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2018, 12:48:51 PM »

I agree. He is a genius— in more than one sense.

There’s “genius” in the sense of having Mensa levels of intelligence. I think all four guys probably qualify in that regard. Then there’s “genius” in the sense of making remarkable contributions that leave a lasting mark on a field of endeavor. Edge is a genius in that sense when it comes to music. Bono is a genius in that sense across multiple fields.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2018, 04:48:27 PM »
I'm curious--what makes you think that Edge, Adam and Larry have super high IQ's?  I'm not saying that that is not possible, but I'm just curious as to what the evidence is to base that on.  In Bono's case, I think there's no doubt that the man is extraordinarily gifted:  intellectually, artistically, and social intelligence-wise.  An all-around amazing personality and character, and yet grounded in humility and faith.  Such a rare and extraordinary combination of traits.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »
I'm curious--what makes you think that Edge, Adam and Larry have super high IQ's?  I'm not saying that that is not possible, but I'm just curious as to what the evidence is to base that on.  In Bono's case, I think there's no doubt that the man is extraordinarily gifted:  intellectually, artistically, and social intelligence-wise.  An all-around amazing personality and character, and yet grounded in humility and faith.  Such a rare and extraordinary combination of traits.
and had ADHD!  Undiagnosed most likely but I love that about him

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2018, 07:29:23 PM »
What? Where did you hear he has ADHD? Wow, he manages things really well, keeps his schedule, always prepared. Obviously incredibly focused but could be a hyperfocuser. But people with hyperfocus often have trouble shifting gears. If he has ADHD he has its ass kicked. But a lot of people with ADHD are really brilliant, so I am curious if he really has it or not.