Author Topic: Why do you love U2?  (Read 668 times)

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
Why do you love U2?
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:38:54 AM »
Why do you love U2?
What is the song that made you fall in love with the band?
And how do you explain your love for the band?

For me, we love or hate something in the first place, and then, we try to explain why.
I'd like U2 since Achtung Baby, but I really fell in love with the band in 1995.
The song that changed everything for me was "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me". This song is so fresh and sexy, rock'n'roll and experimental! The same summer, I discovered the ZOO TV TOUR live from Sydney on VHS, and that was it! U2 is the best band ever.

Now, if I had to explain why I love so much U2, I would say it's because of their humanity.
I'm a highly sensitive person, and I always felt very different from the others, I also have a very strong sense of justice,
and the U2 band members seemed to be like me, leaving nobody aside.
U2 was an emergency exit from the world I was living back then.
And U2 is still connected to my humanity.

What about you?

Offline fodiktet

• Babyface
  • brick wall
Re: Why do you love U2?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 02:32:35 AM »
I first directly sought after U2's music when I went to college, as I was away from home and I had a great deal of nostalgia tied up with U2 because my parents played U218 singles in the car during long trips over summer holidays. I started exploring the entire catalog, but really it was only through watching live performances on youtube that I decided I needed to follow this band more closely.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 02:38:08 AM by fodiktet »

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 07:40:51 AM »
When I heard first Edges guitar chiming on the radio among all the electronic pop and disco of the era I wondered who the heck that was.  My heart went into freefall on the spot without even knowing what band it was and that was it for me.

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 07:47:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
When I heard first Edges guitar chiming on the radio among all the electronic pop and disco of the era I wondered who the heck that was.  My heart went into freefall on the spot without even knowing what band it was and that was it for me.
Can you remember what song it was?

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »

New Years Day I think.  Gosh it was so long ago now. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 08:06:22 AM by summerholly »

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 09:13:11 AM »

New Years Day I think.  Gosh it was so long ago now.
New Years Day has big effect on me too!

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
I love U2 because they are a band that wrote incredible melodies with amazing sound landscapes while actually having important things to say.

The song that made me fall in love with them was Discotheque. It was the first song by them i noticed on the radio (had heard a few from Achtung Baby when I was a kid but didnt take much notice back then) and it immediately captured my attention. It didnt sound like anything else on the radio (it still dont) and the lyrics was so captivating and intelligent. Bono sang about the world and himself at the same time. I think I just got the song and the whole Pop album - it connected with me at the time and made me a fan. I got most of their albums in the following months and that made me understand and respect their musical developement. I found it amazing how a band that big took huge chances with theirs sound and their tours - it was inspiring to me.

My love for U2 has to do with their musicianship, Bonos honesty and intelligence in the lyrics, and their engagement with the world - their "humanity" as was mentioned - that also represents a fundamentally activistic and optimistic world view unlike a lot of other bands in the 90's (im looking at you grunge-scene). To change the world and have fun as Bono used to say.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:55:52 AM by Rasmus »

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 01:05:13 PM »
I love U2 because they are a band that wrote incredible melodies with amazing sound landscapes while actually having important things to say.

The song that made me fall in love with them was Discotheque. It was the first song by them i noticed on the radio (had heard a few from Achtung Baby when I was a kid but didnt take much notice back then) and it immediately captured my attention. It didnt sound like anything else on the radio (it still dont) and the lyrics was so captivating and intelligent. Bono sang about the world and himself at the same time. I think I just got the song and the whole Pop album - it connected with me at the time and made me a fan. I got most of their albums in the following months and that made me understand and respect their musical developement. I found it amazing how a band that big took huge chances with theirs sound and their tours - it was inspiring to me.

My love for U2 has to do with their musicianship, Bonos honesty and intelligence in the lyrics, and their engagement with the world - their "humanity" as was mentioned - that also represents a fundamentally activistic and optimistic world view unlike a lot of other bands in the 90's (im looking at you grunge-scene). To change the world and have fun as Bono used to say.
I remember the first transmission of Discotheque on the radio. Ive waited until midnight to record the song on tape. This song is a UFO! A masterpiece!
Another thing I liked about U2 in the 90s was the surprise effect.
Every time U2 were releasing a new album,
the question was  what will they do next? How will they sound? 
Exciting times!!!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »
I fell in love w/ U2 when I heard "October", specifically "Gloria", "Tomorrow", "I Fall Down", etc.

Offline BONO31

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »
I fell in love w/ U2 when I heard "October", specifically "Gloria", "Tomorrow", "I Fall Down", etc.
I love  October , this album is very underrated! I prefer  October  to  Boy  and  War . Im still listening a lot to  Gloria ,  Tomorrow ,  I fall down ... I guess theres something about the Edges guitar on this album, its called virtuosity!

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »
MTV generation here: Bono in the With Or Without You video.  I was 14.

That was the hook.  Cut to Bono on a rooftop in my hometown, earnest and joyful and a little bit crazy.  Then the Still Haven't Found video and on and on.  I could not get enough.  The Joshua Tree was my gateway drug and Bono was like a sexy Jesus peddling it.  That sounds super weird but that's what it was like!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 04:49:31 PM »
"Sexy Jesus", lol.  I can relate to that  :o

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 07:34:06 PM »
Bono was like a sexy Jesus peddling it.  That sounds super weird but that's what it was like!

Dude, that's really really weird. What's wrong with you??

Ok I'm really weird too.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 07:45:09 PM »
I fell in love watching live aid, Bono was dressed like a prince and he danced with an audience member

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 08:07:27 PM »
Their music has always spoken to me. I have always connected to them on an emotional level. I grew up with their music. It feel almost cliche that One is my favorite song, but it has deep, emotional roots. I love, now that my kids are starting to share my passion with me.