Author Topic: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
Re: What kind of music will U2 make going forward?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 08:58:06 PM »
I suspect a return to ambient rock along the lines of NLOTH.

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2018, 12:59:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I suspect a return to ambient rock along the lines of NLOTH.

I'd like that. One aspect of U2 that many people don't realize (of course us diehards do) is that they've been in touch very well with many hymnals and old folk/traditional songs, and have used it in their songs, as well as using it as an influence in their songs. For example, Drowning Man, White as Snow, and 40 all have their roots in hymns or traditional/folk songs; Cedars of Lebanon, WUDM, 13, MLK, LIAWHL, and The Wanderer (vocal melody is very hymn-like) also come to mind as being influenced by hymns or old traditional/folk songs.

I would love to see more songs like those, except with some electronic influence, a la Bon Iver or Coldplay's Midnight. I'd love to see them go back to doing electronic-influenced rock, except with more modern influences of course, and not like the Kygo remix of You're the Best Thing; more like Magnificent but more electronic and out there. That's what I'd imagine Songs of Ascent would sound like, along with some songs that have a sound influenced by World music genres.

The guys need to get back with Danger Mouse, then bring Andy Barlow and Flood with. Nigel Godrich would even be interesting to have for production and engineering. Just not Ryan Tedder and Paul Epworth, or Steve Lillywhite and Jolyon Thomas. I just feel like they don't have the right idea in mind for what should be done, while the first three do, as evidenced by SOI and some of the songs on SOE.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:03:54 AM »
I'm not sure what producer would be best.  Daniel Lanois always had good results, but he seems worn out by U2.  I liked their idea of "future hymns" and feel they were on the right track w/ NLOTH. 

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 10:10:14 AM »

They need to do something to change things up.  I like SOE, but U2 really needs to get away from the pop rock on the next album.  At this stage in their careers, they have a lot better chance of being noticed outside the U2 fan base if they do something different.  They need to somehow get into that Achtung Baby / Zooropa / Pop mindset when they go into the studio next time. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all my fellow U2 fans. 

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 02:15:06 PM »
Sorry, guys; I really don't see "Pop" happening again.  They're in a different place now.  If you seek a young person's dream, look elsewhere.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2018, 11:18:42 PM »
I am interested in the ideas of a combination of old folk and rock.  Not sure what is met by future hymns, pretty sure sure that would not be my cup of tea as a theme for an album.  However I am sure they will do what ever they artistically feel like doing and is right for them and how the lyrics flow for Bono and I will either like it or not.

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 06:19:23 AM »
They make rock albums, always have, always will.  They have explored many different genres of rock, but it has always been rock, from punk to mixing in experimental to pop and everything in between.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
Yes, it is true that all their albums can be labeled "rock music", and that is what I want from them, but the same band that made "Mysterious Ways" and MOFO also made "Your The Best Thing About Me".  I think "Your The Best Thing About Me" more than anything makes SOE feel like a "pop rock" album.  I guess you could also include "Love Is All We Have Left" and "Get Out Of Your Own Way" and "Landlady".  I don't mind "Get Out Of Your Own Way", but the other two should have been left off the album. (I'm not a fan of "The Showman" either.)  Even though I like SOE, I think it would have gotten a lot more respect if you replace those songs with a couple good rock songs.  Then you might have a Grammy nominated rock album. 

Anyway, I sure hope they get away from the SOI/SOE formula on the next album.  They need to find a way to find some way to change things up and be more creative.  I realize they are not going to make AB, Zooropa, or Pop again, but hopefully they have a similar creative mindset when they enter the studio for the next album. 

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 10:11:00 AM by goldtoad »

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2018, 05:26:52 PM »
Goldtoad, I think "Love is All We Have Left" is a good song, but I do agree w/ you about "Best Thing" and "Showman".  I just think we'll see more ambient, murky tunes in the future, which the band actually does excel at.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
Goldtoad, I think "Love is All We Have Left" is a good song, but I do agree w/ you about "Best Thing" and "Showman".  I just think we'll see more ambient, murky tunes in the future, which the band actually does excel at.

I think "Love is All We Have Left" could have been a good opening song, but it goes on too long... It my opinion it needed a more interesting ending to build a little tension instead of Bono repeating the lyrics over and over. 

What do you consider the ultimate ambient U2 album?  Zooropa?  When I think of ambient music, I think of Brian Eno.  I would like to see them work again with Lanois and Eno.  They did some of their best work with them, but I don't know if we will see Lanois or Eno working with U2 again.

Offline Sunchild

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2019, 12:58:41 PM »
I have a feeling they will move towards a more acoustic yet ambient direction, a bit more quiet and introspective, although more complex and unpredictable in terms of rhythm changes and structure as SOE has indicated, maybe closer to the style of Songs Of Love And Hate from Cohen, and further away from the pretentious 90's era music they used to make, which would not at all resonate with todays generation anymore, with each new album they're making more open and direct music now that shows its true face, like most bands today, especially independent, as if almost in direct contrast to the 90's and 80's when it was more fashionable and commercial to sell it through masks of irony, the openness and sincerity is the direction that don't seem to change, and only increases as we're moving back to the time before the artistic authenticity got hijacked by authoritarian musical industries in the middle of the last century. People's tastes seem to seek less of a circus but intimacy, authenticity and openness now.

I think there might be a time for trying that kind of slower album after so many loud guitar heavy albums, that demanded so much energy, especially on Bono's voice, something more quiet might be a refreshing and needed change for the time being. Their folk roots is the true core their music stands on, and as they've been going deeper and deeper into the essence of who they are, by going back to the past, the re-discovery of their folky side might spark up new inspirations.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 01:22:39 PM by Sunchild »

• Child of Grace
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »
I'm thinking along the lines of NLOTH and Unforgettable Fire.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 03:37:59 PM »
latest video on u2.com subscribers is Bono in the car saying he wants to make a good Rock album. Obviously taken with a huge pinch of salt but....

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
Yes, it is true that all their albums can be labeled "rock music", and that is what I want from them, but the same band that made "Mysterious Ways" and MOFO also made "Your The Best Thing About Me".  I think "Your The Best Thing About Me" more than anything makes SOE feel like a "pop rock" album.  I guess you could also include "Love Is All We Have Left" and "Get Out Of Your Own Way" and "Landlady".  I don't mind "Get Out Of Your Own Way", but the other two should have been left off the album. (I'm not a fan of "The Showman" either.)  Even though I like SOE, I think it would have gotten a lot more respect if you replace those songs with a couple good rock songs.  Then you might have a Grammy nominated rock album. 

Anyway, I sure hope they get away from the SOI/SOE formula on the next album.  They need to find a way to find some way to change things up and be more creative.  I realize they are not going to make AB, Zooropa, or Pop again, but hopefully they have a similar creative mindset when they enter the studio for the next album.

I agree with you on this, except for the point about Landlady and Love is All We Have Left. I think they both have rightful places. Landlady is the perfect song after the huge musical and emotional climax of The Little Things..., while LIAWHL is a nice opening hymn that creates a beautiful atmosphere to set the tone for the album. I can see an idea like having it build to a Streets-like climax or doing like what Coldplay did with Midnight where it starts slow, has a fantastic, all-encapsulating electronic climax and then descends back to where it started but leaves an amazing aura behind it. LIAWHL could've definitely done that, but I think it works, especially with 13, a similar song, book-ending the album.

I think The Blackout is a bit out of place and should come earlier in the album. Landlady into The Blackout feels abrupt, whereas Landlady into Love is Bigger... makes more sense with the rising intro of Love is Bigger...

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 09:32:27 PM »
No matter what the band does, I'd like to see them stick with one set production team of 1-3 producers, from start to finish, and not having reworkings or tweaks made after they have an album ready.

We've seen this happen with each of the past three albums where the band has worked with Eno & Lanois on NLOTH, Danger Mouse on SOI, and Thomas/Barlow/Tedder on SOE, but then gone and worked with others to re-work the songs with Lillywhite (NLOTH, SOE) and a plethora of other producers to make things perfect. They need to work with who they have and once they get to what they feel is a finished product, they need to leave it alone and release it. Each of the last three albums just feel too hamfisted at times, especially SOE with around 10 different producers each having a hand in the work, and it distorts the overall sound and messages they're trying to go for. Their best, and most interesting, albums were done with a set group, pretty much from start to finish, to where the sound and messages were thought-out and realized to the very end. I believe the pre-release comments that say the stuff sounds like Achtung Baby or Zooropa or the band being as fully-focused as they were with ATYCLB, but all of the tinkering just kills it.

Effectively, they need a producer who can tell them no or that it's just fine and for the band to be more confident in what they have. Although there's works in the past decade that are great despite the tinkering, they didn't make great music for 25 years by tinkering every last little bit of what they have. Experimenting, yes, but not perfecting things to a point where it all gets distorted and wrong. That's their biggest flaw over the last decade and what they need to avoid with the next release.