Author Topic: What lyrics speak to your soul?  (Read 315 times)

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
What lyrics speak to your soul?
« on: December 16, 2018, 03:30:22 PM »
Currently or all time?

Currently: sometimes the air is so anxious, all my thoughts are so reckless and all my innocence has died. Sometimes I wake at 4 in the miry, where all the darkness is swarming and it covers me in fear.

All Time: there are so, so many. Ones that come to me instantly: she runs through the night, with eyes painted red under the belly of a black cloud in the rain. In through a doorway she brings me white gold and pearls stolen from the sea. She is raging, she is raging. And the storm blows up in her eyes. She will suffer the needle chill, sheís running to stand still.

Youíre love is like a temple you ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl. I canít be holding on to what we have when all we have is hurt.

You had to win, you couldnít just pass. The smartest ass at the top of the class. Your flying colors, your family tree and all your lessons in history. Please.

Add yours and I will probably will reply with eleventy billion more

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: What lyrics speak to your soul?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 03:50:14 PM »
Yes, those Little Things lyrics slay me. Like, literal chills when I listen to it. As an aside, I'm glad he changed "all my tasks are so thankless" to "all my thoughts are so reckless." The final lyric is so much better on many levels.

I too have countless lyrics that kill me. Just a few off the top of my head:

"We're beaten then blown by the wind." When I was younger I didn't pay too much attention to this line - I liked it, but it didn't, like, kill me. It kills me now. Same comment for "it's all we can do." I really, really get that now.

"Hold me close - like I'm someone who you might know." Pretty much all of Iris kills me, but as a mother, that line hits right in the feels.

Ok, this one is arguably sophmoric writing but it works for me: "When I was all messed up, you let opera in my head. Now your love is like a light bulb hanging over my bed."

"I've seen for myself, there's no end to grief. That's how I know, and why I need to know, that there is no end to love."

"Every day I have to find the courage to walk out into the street, with arms out - got a love you can't defeat."

Pretty much all of Stuck. SLABT. The Troubles. Please.

Maybe I should just list the lyrics that don't do anything for me.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:41:52 PM »
Love the RTSS one mentioned.  Love the grief/love one.  Hadnít really picked up on that one.

Thought it was 4 in the morning instead of Miry.

As for my own, I really like the mood and ambience of NYD.  The Ēcrowd is gathered in black & whiteĒ.  Some of my favorites are from UF album.  I most enjoy the impressionistic lyrics that more communicate a feeling or a big idea that is not entirely clear.  Lyrics like NYD...yes its about the political situation in Poland at that time but that was over along time ago and Iím along ways from Poland.  Yet the lyric still speaks to me.  It could be about anything.  It sounds and feels epic.  No doubt Iím thinking this way because of the other thread but that is what I love about U2ís lyrics.  Iím not looking for a Sunday School lesson. Iíve had plenty of those.  Iím looking for a feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 05:44:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Love the RTSS one mentioned.  Love the grief/love one.  Hadnít really picked up on that one.

Thought it was 4 in the morning instead of Miry.

As for my own, I really like the mood and ambience of NYD.  The Ēcrowd is gathered in black & whiteĒ.  Some of my favorites are from UF album.  I most enjoy the impressionistic lyrics that more communicate a feeling or a big idea that is not entirely clear.  Lyrics like NYD...yes its about the political situation in Poland at that time but that was over along time ago and Iím along ways from Poland.  Yet the lyric still speaks to me.  It could be about anything.  It sounds and feels epic.  No doubt Iím thinking this way because of the other thread but that is what I love about U2ís lyrics.  Iím not looking for a Sunday School lesson. Iíve had plenty of those.  Iím looking for a feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is 4 in the morning, sometimes my phone has weird autocorrects

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 05:49:09 PM »
Yes, those Little Things lyrics slay me. Like, literal chills when I listen to it. As an aside, I'm glad he changed "all my tasks are so thankless" to "all my thoughts are so reckless." The final lyric is so much better on many levels.

I too have countless lyrics that kill me. Just a few off the top of my head:

"We're beaten then blown by the wind." When I was younger I didn't pay too much attention to this line - I liked it, but it didn't, like, kill me. It kills me now. Same comment for "it's all we can do." I really, really get that now.

"Hold me close - like I'm someone who you might know." Pretty much all of Iris kills me, but as a mother, that line hits right in the feels.

Ok, this one is arguably sophmoric writing but it works for me: "When I was all messed up, you let opera in my head. Now your love is like a light bulb hanging over my bed."

"I've seen for myself, there's no end to grief. That's how I know, and why I need to know, that there is no end to love."

"Every day I have to find the courage to walk out into the street, with arms out - got a love you can't defeat."

Pretty much all of Stuck. SLABT. The Troubles. Please.

Maybe I should just list the lyrics that don't do anything for me.

The line from Iris that devastates me: Iris says that I will be the death of her, it was not me. Man as a mother of sons who definitely has used the phrase before, itís like a knife to the heart.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 06:06:36 PM »
I can totally see that, it's quite a punch to the gut.

I have a daughter and while I'm going bald from pulling my hair out I've never used that phrase. Her hijinks are verbal.

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 06:08:51 PM »
I can totally see that, it's quite a punch to the gut.

I have a daughter and while I'm going bald from pulling my hair out I've never used that phrase. Her hijinks are verbal.

Ha! I have a daughter too and yes, itís a very different form of crazy making

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
The whole of wild horses among others

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 03:38:27 AM »
There is too many to mention! So I'm gonna go with 5 of my absolute favorites from "hidden gems", just because there would be at least 100 otherwise  ;D

"The DNA lottery may have left you smart,
But can you stand up to beauty, dictator of the heart?"

"Old man knows how to cheat ambition, You donít lose if you donít play!"

"When the night is someone else's,  And you're trying to get some sleep
When your thoughts are too expensive, To ever want to keep"

"At the talent show where your talent is your rage - Iím in!"

And perhaps my favorite:

"As you enter this life, I pray you depart
With a wrinkled face, And a brand new heart"
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:09:14 AM by Rasmus »