Author Topic: 2019 U2 Wish List  (Read 597 times)

Offline ricebird5678

• Wanderer
2019 U2 Wish List
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
As 2018 comes to a close, I look back on this year as a fulfilling one for U2 fans. I also believe the band has rightfully earned a break after a very busy schedule over the last 3+ years.

Going forward, I am curious what fans expect/want out of the band in 2019!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Re: 2019 U2 Wish List
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 11:23:37 AM »
Honestly not much but they still need to make a decision in touring Australia etc I believe

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
From the Band, nothing new.  However, I want a turntable for my birthday so I will be getting everything in vinyl for my collection.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 06:08:55 PM »
Probably they just need a rest.  But if I could see Bono when I'm in Ireland it would be a dream come true :)

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
I want to see them relax and just have fun, I want to see pictures of vacations and fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 07:17:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As 2018 comes to a close, I look back on this year as a fulfilling one for U2 fans. I also believe the band has rightfully earned a break after a very busy schedule over the last 3+ years.

Going forward, I am curious what fans expect/want out of the band in 2019!

Absolutely nothing to be honest, living in Australia my expectations are very low.  If they come they come.  I certainly don't begrudge them if they want a rest after a grueling schedule.  Like me they are not getting any younger although we have had a few oldies like Paul McCartney and Roger Waters come recently, both in their seventies now.  I think U2 just finds touring USA and Europe easier and more lucrative, so not holding my breath anytime soon.  I doubt if I could afford to see them anyway! 
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 07:20:50 AM by summerholly »

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 04:12:19 PM »
I pretty much agree with others.

I don't expect much from the band, and I'd like to see them get some rest.

But, I'd like some releases from the vaults:
1. She's a Mystery To Me (full quality studio cut),
2. Van Dieman's Land (full, with the extra verse printed in the R&H liner notes),
3. Zooropa-era version of Wake Up Dead Man,
4. No Line-era version of Every Breaking Wave

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2019, 05:37:06 AM »
To me its kind of ridiculous when people go "oh they had a busy year so let them just have some time off". I mean - a whole year off?! They are multi-millionaire rockstars and even though I'm sure it takes a LOT going on stage every other night its not like they are exhausting themselves. They have access to every luxury imagniable while touring. The exception here is of course Bono but that is mainly due to all the 1000 activities he has besides the band.

For me I would like them to get creative and make new music. I know this will take some time off in order to feel inspired but a whole year of doing nothing is definitely not my wish for U2 in 2019. If anything long breaks between albums are part of the problem these days. They can take time off in 15+ (?) years when they are done.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To me its kind of ridiculous when people go "oh they had a busy year so let them just have some time off". I mean - a whole year off?! They are multi-millionaire rockstars and even though I'm sure it takes a LOT going on stage every other night its not like they are exhausting themselves. They have access to every luxury imagniable while touring. The exception here is of course Bono but that is mainly due to all the 1000 activities he has besides the band.

For me I would like them to get creative and make new music. I know this will take some time off in order to feel inspired but a whole year of doing nothing is definitely not my wish for U2 in 2019. If anything long breaks between albums are part of the problem these days. They can take time off in 15+ (?) years when they are done.

I very much doubt a year off from touring means that they are going to do nothing!  I would imagine touring and going on stage every other night can be exhausting especially for Bono given the expectations people have of him to exude energy and rock hard.  These guys are not young and it doesn't matter how much luxury you have age is age and it slows ya down no matter how fit you are and Bono has had his health scares. Being creative can be emotionally exhausting even if they enjoy it.  I paint and it takes a lot of investment of focus, planning and emotion to put something on canvas.  For them they have the ears and eyes of the world upon them.

Anyway hasn't Adam got a young baby and maybe he wants to enjoy his baby and just being a dad. 

At their age in 15 years they maybe dead who knows. Entering the danger age.   My dad died unexpectedly when he was 65 and never got to enjoy his retirement and I lost a workmate recently aged 63, it all happened very fast from diagnosis to death. 

We kinda have to remember they are just late middle aged men despite their millions.  I hope that they do whatever they want to do.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:47:39 AM by summerholly »

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 12:10:20 PM »
While a year off is a luxury not everyone, even artists, can have, I think it's vastly different from me taking a year off from working on UI specs.

The creative process and performance is pretty intense. I'm not going to pull a Gwenyth Paltrow here and cry for how DAMN HAAAAAAAARD these gazillionaire musicians and actors work, but most of the ones who make it into comfort, which U2 have undeniably done, rest between projects. They recharge, ruminate, ferment (lol), get their groove back. And we selfish fans WANT them to do that because we do not want it to feel like a JOB. We want PASSION and they aren't going to have that without taking whatever time they need to start getting the itch again.

I expect 2019 will be quiet on the U2 front unless they actually do the Pacific tour. Oh, we're supposed to get the T Rex cover too, right?

In 2020, though, I demand a new song. Get off your duffs and throw us a bone, lads.