Author Topic: Breathe inspirations  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Breathe inspirations
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 05:54:11 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Miry, good call on the stream-of-consciousness lyrics.

As for the Beatles, I remember thinking that the part I felt was familiar seemed like something Lennon (not the Beatles but John Lennon) did. But I never figured it out, and now the song sounds like Breathe to me, no longer anything else. It wore off, I guess.

Tortuga, the Showman seems old-fashioned to me. It doesn't remind me of anything specific, I don't think, but it does seem in an era of yore.

Summer of Love has a slighly nostalgic feel, imho. Some songs have even more explicit nostalgic feels, not sure how it's created but it could be certain chord types or progressions. Examples: Summer of 1969 by Bryan Adams, or 1979 by Smashing Pumpkins. They feel nostalgic the first time you ever hear them. I think SOL has a less strong effect but perhaps it uses some of what those other songs use to hit that nostalgia note.

I definitely get a 60s Cali vibe from SoL.
Donít you think its the lyrics?

West Coast / Summer / jaunty music =  california beach boys / 60s

Or, in my case

Jaunty little guitar riff sounds just like pharmaceutical ad sound bed and thatís all I can think of.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 01:02:17 PM »
Well in the case of the two songs (summer of 69 and 1979) it could be because they are both about someone looking back and remembering their own youth and coming of age.  That is very nostalgic.  In the case of SOL, your brain might be connecting it to Summer Skin by Death Cab, which is also a nostalgic recollection of coming of age.  (If you know that song.)

I'll have to check out that song.

It's not just the lyrics - it's the use of major sevenths. That sonically creates that nostalgic feel. I know that typically, sevenths are used to create tension, and usually are used briefly right before a transition back to the root chord, which satisfies the tension. But using major sevenths throughout aplarently makes for that bittersweet, wistful, nostalgic feel. Maybe a gentle tension throughout makes things feel just out of reach, like trying to return to a memory.

But anyway, it's more than the lyrics; those songs carry that feeling even if you've never heard them before and even if you don't know the lyrics or even speak English.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
Whoa, I wouldnít know about all that.  I never thought Summer of 69 or 1979 sounded wistful at all.  To me Summer of 69 is just a straight out put the top down happy rocker.  1979 a catchy tune but not sad or wistful or anything.  I guess we all hear different things.  I think it works that way with food too by the way.  (We all taste things differently.)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 01:52:08 PM »
It's true, we do all hear different things! I'm not alone on 1979, though - lots has been written about and videoed on that subject, including the, well, melancholy of the song.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
Breathe inspirations
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 02:08:17 PM »
It's true, we do all hear different things! I'm not alone on 1979, though - lots has been written about and videoed on that subject, including the, well, melancholy of the song.

Thatís because it was released on an album called Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

And of course the lyrics definitely match that mood!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 02:12:08 PM by Tortuga »

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »
Whoa, I wouldnít know about all that.  I never thought Summer of 69 or 1979 sounded wistful at all.  To me Summer of 69 is just a straight out put the top down happy rocker.  1979 a catchy tune but not sad or wistful or anything.  I guess we all hear different things.  I think it works that way with food too by the way.  (We all taste things differently.)

Summer of 69 and 1979 are great songs. But Prince's 1999 is nowhere near Taylor Swift's 1989.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2019, 01:39:34 PM »

Thatís because it was released on an album called Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

So you do or you don't hear the nostalgia/melancholy/bittersweet/wistful feeling in the music?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2019, 01:41:28 PM »
I finally, by sheer chance, stumbled on the song my brain assosciated with that part of Breathe, and I'm kicking myself because the association is reallllllly weak.

It's John Lennon's Nobody Told Me. Ugh, Laoghaire, really?

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2019, 02:46:47 PM »

So you do or you don't hear the nostalgia/melancholy/bittersweet/wistful feeling in the music?

I hear it in the lyrics but not the music.  I find the music pretty uplifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2019, 02:48:11 PM »
I finally, by sheer chance, stumbled on the song my brain assosciated with that part of Breathe, and I'm kicking myself because the association is reallllllly weak.

It's John Lennon's Nobody Told Me. Ugh, Laoghaire, really?

Iíve had that happen to me many many times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk