Author Topic: Your face like (melting) snow  (Read 584 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Your face like (melting) snow
« on: January 02, 2019, 04:20:14 PM »
Acrobat. Moment of Surrender rap. Invisible. A face like snow apparently means something particular to Bono, as he revisits it from time to time.

What does it mean to you?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:27:25 PM by laoghaire »

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
Re: Your face like (melting) snow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 11:31:09 AM »
First the obvious - white/pale, cold, frozen.  then - desolate, quiet or still, ghost-like, pure, blurry.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:12:28 AM »
Yes, those are good.

I really like the word "desolate" for this. My picture is that a face like snow has the life taken out of it, that it is empty of spirit. A frozen face is not animated, it can't respond, it's emotionless. But it's even more desolate than a face of solid ice, which can capture an unchanging emotion, like a sculpture can. But a face of snow? It will just fall apart at a touch or a wind. It will crumble into nothingness. Desolate, empty.

In Acrobat and MOS rap, this idea seems sympathetic to me, like someone was there but their selves have been stolen from them. But in Invisible I read it more judgmentally, that the person has sold their souls maybe.

But I could easily see other interpretations. Would love to hear some.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »
Well Iím of Irish decent and we are pale as snow so I just feel like itís a pale person who is disappointed or sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 07:19:02 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well Iím of Irish decent and we are pale as snow so I just feel like itís a pale person who is disappointed or sad

Iím Irish as well, I still think thereís more behind it, but thatís one of the great things about Bonoís lyrics are open to interpretation

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »

Iím Irish as well, I still think thereís more behind it, but thatís one of the great things about Bonoís lyrics are open to interpretation
I think he takes boring old descriptions and makes them Art

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:50:38 PM »
So what does it mean for this face of snow to melt away?

What is revealed then? The real face? Or nothing at all?

Offline ToRontoRon

• Wanderer
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2019, 01:26:58 PM »
Another great topic, laoghaire.  I'm going to take these one by one:

Acrobat

"What happened to your face of melting snow?"

To me the singer equates snow with whiteness, or purity.  If it would just be regular snow, it would indicate purity, but coldness and distance from humanity alongside it.  However, the fact that it's melting snow indicates purity, but along with it a warmth and humanity underneath the face.  The fact that her face is no longer like melting snow indicates that she has become cold and distant.

The next line of "Now it looks like this", indicates that the singer feels as though this purity, which once existed on his loved one's face when they first met, has now changed dramatically as she has become more and more jaded with what is happening in the world, and as she struggles to keep her faith in God.  Her empathy and caring nature has been replaced by stoicism and doubt.

Moment Of Surrender

"When I first met you, your face was like snow."

Same basic idea as Acrobat.  Started out pure, but that purity has been taken away.  In this case, due to drug addiction.

Invisible

"I don't dream, not as such.  I don't even think about you that much, unless, I stop to think at all, of those frozen days, and your frozen ways.  They melt away, your face like snow."

To me this one is a little different.  This song is kind of a conversation between a young Bono starting out in the band, and his skeptical father.  His father would tell him he was only dreaming if he thought he could make a career of being a rock star, but Bono didn't see it as a dream as such, since he thought it would be reality.  He's telling his father he doesn't think about him that much, unless he stops to think of the death of Iris during those difficult, (frozen, if you will), times, and the cold, distant way Bob Hewson would deal with his emotions. Bob would ordinarily be the type of person who's facade to their emotions would be like a rock, namely unemotional and stoic.  However, Iris's death would turn that facade from solid as a rock to as permeable as snow.  And despite Bob's best efforts, after Iris's death, Bono was able to see Bob's emotions coming out.  That's what 16 or so year old Bono would think of his father, when he would think of him.  That rare time during those frozen days, when Bob's ordinarily frozen ways would melt away like snow, and it could be seen on his face.

So, to me, in the first and second songs mentioned, the snow has to do with the idea of purity, and in the first and third songs mentioned, the melting snow face is linked with being more emotional.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2019, 03:22:46 PM »
Reminds me a bit of "The Scream", the Munch painting whose elongated face symbolizes the anxiety and disconnect of modern man.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
ToRontoRon, my fellow lyric nerd.

MOS does seem pretty straightforward, and I do think the reference is to a purity or maybe innocence.

Acrobat seems like it could mean a lot of different things. But you're probably right. It's clear that the lyric says "you used to be (something good) but then that changed." Kind of cool juxtapositioning of hot/cold (fire in your soul/melting snow). My teen self did wonder: "Now it looks like this" - what does the face look like now?

Invisible, it's also a bit confusing. Those frozen days/ways melt away your face like snow. Ways of parsing:

The days/ways are the things that melt away your face. Which is like snow. Which is weird because frozen things don't usually melt faces. Or snow.

The days/ways melt themselves away. And separately, I'd like to mention that your face is like snow.

The days/ways melt themselves away, leaving/revealing your face of snow.

If it's the latter, the imagery might fit the others. You were frozen, cold to me. But you melted and I found a purity in your face after all.

Shine, I relate to that The Scream image, yeah.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 05:52:16 PM »
Well the whole album is sort of about Edges Divorce, so itís likely about the way he once saw his wife and the reality of the divorce setting in