Author Topic: Rubin Sessions and SOE  (Read 637 times)

Offline popromancer

• Wanderer
Rubin Sessions and SOE
« on: January 04, 2019, 09:05:20 AM »
As I was giving SOE another spin last night, it got me thinking that this is actually (obviously) a very melodic record with Beatlesque song structures.

It reminded me of the period (2006/2007) that u2 went into the studio with rick rubin and he 'taught' u2 to write this kind of stuff. Melodic pop/rock songs in beatles style. 

As we all know these sessions have been aborted/scrapped I am now wondering how much material has actually been under the radar and now re-used for SOE. Actually, the one song that has come out of these sessions, window in the skies, would have made a perfect fit to SOE.

What do you think? Has this scrapped rubin album turned into SOE partially?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: Rubin Sessions and SOE
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
I don't know ANYTHING. But my guess is that not much, if anything, from the Rubin stuff got into SOE.

Either way, I'm not worried. The boys have made it clear that coming up with new stuff is not a problem - the spigot is still on. Whether you'll like it or not is up for debate but they aren't hurting for ideas.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 09:59:56 AM »
I guess one of the big concerns is, will any producer ever work with them again?

Here's a toast to any producer who ever worked with U2 this century. You are brave souls, and I hope your spirits heal.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:27:42 AM »
I did think of suggesting Edge could produce the album...but, oh the disagreements.  And which decade will the album be released?
As much as I love The Edge, there's no way he could produce a U2 album solo.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
Why not? Maybe Edge really is the answer. Disagreements? U2 have survived them all and if anything they seem to work with each other better than ever. While producers are strewn around like wreckage, U2 fight it out and still choose, every day, to keep going together. They get each other.

There would probably actually be fewer arguments.

And more Edge! Think of it!

And one producer to lend coherence!

I do realize they would suffer from not having outside persoective. Maybe they should just have producers consult but that's it. They offer ideas and U2 takes them or leave them, and the producer's life is not ruined and butthurt is minimal.

I'm sold! EDGE FOR PRODUCER, 2020!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 07:35:13 PM »
Edge sounds like a logical idea for producer, but isn't the problem that he tinkers endlessly?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:20 PM »
It's Larry's job to draw the line. He's our man, he can do it.