Poll

If young lads successfully pretended to play new U2 songs, would kids like the music?

Yes, kids would eat up the music if they thought 25 year olds were playing it
11 (64.7%)
No, the music wouldn't resonate even if it were a group of hot young guys
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: If U2 got some young cuties to Milli Vanilli their stuff....  (Read 929 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
If U2 got some young cuties to Milli Vanilli their stuff....
« on: January 04, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »
For the sake of this thought experiment, assume this could be successfully pulled off. U2 write and perform an album or single, but under a different name. And videos are released of hot young guys "performing" the songs a la Milli Vanilli. And all of us elders who know damn well it's U2 just shut up and keep the secret.

Would the songs suddenly resonate with The Youths? Would Love is Bigger or Summer of Love or GOOYOW compete with The Shape of You?

Obviously not asking if they SHOULD (answer: HELL NO). Just wondering if you think that age alone (or rather the cultural perceptions of age) could be their handicap this decade.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: If U2 got some young cuties to Milli Vanilli their stuff....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 10:38:06 AM »
Yup they totally would

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »
Yes.  Greta Van Fleet is making Led Zep cool again.

Offline World71R

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:35:07 PM »
Definitely. Some of their songs from SOI would be strong candidates for this, especially Every Breaking Wave and California. Those are two very well-penned pop songs. Love is Bigger... would also be a strong candidate.

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:17:42 PM »
Yes. If U2 sold their soul and collabed with Niall Horan or Harry Styles, they'd have a big radio hit. gooyow is a melodious tune, like Beautiful Day.

If they gave a single-worthy song to young cutie Elijah Hewson's band... Well idk how easy it is for an almost complete unknown face to break into Ryan Seacrest's top 40.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 05:36:18 AM »
But would a bunch of young guys really want to sing and would they resonate with songs written and based on the experiences of a late middle aged man?

Elijah Hewson and his band had their own song and it was very different type of lyrics to that of his dad!

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
Levi Evans seems to be getting into rap, and Eli Hewson's band has a very different feel to U2 (although Eli is remarkably like a young Bono, but I digress.....)

I'm not sure if U2's music would suit a young band mock up. Even U2's early stuff put into a modern young group would seem out of place. They probably wouldn't be signed if they were starting out now. Can you imagine early U2 trying to get through American Idol or X Factor?

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »
Is that Levi Evans on Youtube singing "Day In Day OUt"?   It's pretty awful.

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »
Greta Van Fleet is making old Led Zep fans happy, plus some younger kids looking for the rock revolution.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:40:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Greta Van Fleet is making old Led Zep fans happy, plus some younger kids looking for the rock revolution.

Yes if it is the right artist with the right songs picked and done in the right style and with a real connection to the song it could work.  I have heard some good takes by newer artists on old songs.  But not lip syncing.

Lip syncing a bunch of young guys to U2, my mind cant process that! 

I remember U2 said that they struggled to do covers so wrote their own stuff.  I find it hard to imagine anyone covering either the old stuff of U2 or Pink Floyd for that matter, the sound and context of their lyrics was just so unique to each of those groups.  I liked Led Zeppelin but their sound and lyrics was more mainstream in that era to my ears.

Offline daveyg

• Stateless
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 08:33:49 AM »
Is that Levi Evans on Youtube singing "Day In Day OUt"?   It's pretty awful.

yeh - for those who haven't seen it yet..... You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 03:57:48 PM »
    That's one of the worst music videos I've ever seen.
    He has Edge's eyes, but.....!!!!!??? Yikes; it's a hot mess.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Oh no no no, that’s what the kids like these days!  Did it suck or am I old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Stateless
  • As the moon spins around, I need your love
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 11:16:40 AM »
I hear SO MUCH U2 influence in 30 Seconds to Mars and the Killers (I know they're not "young").   U2's influence continues to trickle down through the generations, and listeners stay interested.  So if a band like 5 Seconds of Summer released SOE, sure, I think it would be huge.

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 08:35:52 AM »
I hear SO MUCH U2 influence in 30 Seconds to Mars and the Killers (I know they're not "young").   U2's influence continues to trickle down through the generations, and listeners stay interested.  So if a band like 5 Seconds of Summer released SOE, sure, I think it would be huge.

From the few songs such as( Looks so perfect and Amnesia) I have heard from 5 SOS they seems miles away from the mature U2 lyrics.  I just cant get my head around a young male band singing songs of experience!  Would they even understand the context of such a personal Bono album?  I would think that they prefer to sing about hot girls and young love, heartache, romance etc. and stuff relevant to their generation and age group.  I have to confess that I find SOE a little boring and mildly depressing.  Much prefer the energy of Looks so perfect and takes me back in time to being young lol.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:45:24 PM by summerholly »