Author Topic: Vinyl records - 2 LP records on albums  (Read 720 times)

Offline ashaiw

• Babyface
Vinyl records - 2 LP records on albums
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:35:03 AM »
Hi I am wondering about the releases of new LP albums like The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. Recently got me a turntable and now I want to know if it is worth it buying the new releases of those masterpiece albums :) I see that now they are released as double albums with three or two songs on each sides. Does any know the purpose for that? Is it the quality?
I like those albums as a whole and not sure I want to stand up to change sides every 10 minutes or so :) Any thoughts?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
Re: Vinyl records - 2 LP records on albums
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:35:09 AM »
As you rule you should always buy the latest pressing unless its the Stooges copy of Raw Power. I would imagine that 2LP versions are superior in sound quality but some audio nerd can publicly correct me now.

Offline ashaiw

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 05:06:12 AM »
I got me The Best Of 1980-1990 [2 LP] and it's great sounding quality, superb.
I own few of the original records on LP, October, War, The Unforgettable Fire and The Joshua Tree, after that I bought the others on cd. My old records sound great as always, the feeling of playing them again on record player brings me back in time. I'm not sure of the new LP versions that got for sides, like Achtung Baby. I'ts strange to skip sides after just three songs. Still I think I will buy it! :)

Side 1
1. "Zoo Station"
2. "Even Better Than the Real Thing"
3. "One"

Side 2
1. "Until the End Of The World"
2. "Who’s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses"
3. "So Cruel"

Side 3
1. "The Fly"
2. "Mysterious Ways"
3. "Tryin’ to Throw Your Arms Around the World"

Side 4
1. "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)"
2. "Acrobat"
3. "Love Is Blindness"

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 06:47:21 AM »
I'm not gonna lie: it's annoying to have to keep switching sides. I love these albums and U2 is the only band for which I'm willing to invest in vinyl for the entire catalogue, but it's not the most enjoyable way to listen to those albums. I realize that three U2 songs might last as long as six songs by some of those artists in the 1960s, but it feels less tedious when you're able to plow through six songs before having to flip the record over.

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:07:57 PM »
The outer rings of the vinyl are better in sound since there is more distance for one second.

Some album are even on 45 rpm to increase quality. I admit it's annoying, but it's worth it.

The disadvantage of these albums on 4 sides, is that -- I think -- they're made in two parts. Even on CD/Spotify it is weird. SOI and SOE (and Pop, but that's due to length) are made for 4 sides, for instance. While I have to Atmid that my 2 sides version of SOI is very nice to listen to. The quality is better since the 4 sides version is on its first LP wrong pressed...