Author Topic: What Could Have Been....I&E  (Read 892 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
What Could Have Been....I&E
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
If I remember correctly, one of the original ideas for I&E was to have 2 successive nights in a city...and I night and an E night.  Suppose night 1 was the setlist at the end of the Innocence tour and night 2 was the setlist at the end of the Experience tour.  How might that have gone over?    I guess the fan club CD release captures this idea...just voted for the first 2 songs to be released digitally.  I voted for The Troubles and The Little Things That Give You Away.

Anyway, I think back-to-back nights with those setlists would have been crazy good.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Re: What Could Have Been....I&E
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:35:00 PM »
Night 1 - Innocence

The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
Vertigo
I Will Follow, Mother (snippet)
Iris (Hold Me Close)
Cedarwood Road
Song For Someone
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
Until The End Of The World, Love And Peace Or Else (snippet), Words (snippet)

Second Set
Invisible
Even Better Than The Real Thing, Break On Through (snippet)
Fashion (snippet), Mysterious Ways, Burning Down The House (snippet)
Elevation
Every Breaking Wave
October
Zooropa (snippet),
Bullet The Blue Sky,
Ode To Joy (snippet),
America (Simon and Garfunkel) (snippet),
19 (snippet)
Zooropa (snippet),
Where The Streets Have No Name,
California (There Is No End To Love) (snippet)
Pride
With Or Without You

Encore
City Of Blinding Lights, Ne Me Quitte Pas (snippet)
Beautiful Day, I Remember You (snippet)
Mother And Child Reunion (snippet), Bad, Into The Mystic (snippet)
One, Invisible (snippet)

Night 2 - Experience

The Blackout
Lights Of Home (St. Peter's String Version)
I Will Follow
Gloria, Gloria (Van Morrison) (snippet), Gloria (Patti Smith) (snippet)
Beautiful Day
Dirty Day
Zoo Station
The Fly
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses

Second Set
Elevation
Walking Spanish (snippet), Vertigo, The Jean Genie (snippet)
Even Better Than The Real Thing, Vertigo (snippet)
The Hall Of Mirrors (snippet), So Long, Farewell (snippet), Acrobat
You're The Best Thing About Me acoustic
Summer Of Love Bono & Edge - electric
Pride
Get Out Of Your Own Way
New Year's Day
Ode To Joy (snippet), City Of Blinding Lights

Encore
Women Of The World (snippet), One, Invisible (snippet)
Love Is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way
13 (There Is A Light)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:20:15 AM »
I think if they had pulled that off that would have been something else!

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 04:42:04 PM »
Too confusing.  People like to know what they're getting.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »
They could do Vegas like that and have a show there for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Too confusing.  People like to know what they're getting.

Not sure what would be confusing, especially after the 1st or 2nd stops.  Innocence show. Experience show.  They would know what they are getting.  Just like I knew what I was getting for every show the last 4 years (save for 1-2 songs here and there).

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 02:58:34 PM »
As groundbreaking as some would believe this idea to be, I'm glad that the band never seriously followed through on it...  they would've been heavily criticized and accused of doing it for a cash grab, or double dippin'...  the jury is still out on whether relying so heavily on the newer material (especially for the 'e+i tour') was the right call or not...  there's also the fact that the band struggles at times to even get one show right and expecting them to deliver two completely different shows back to back flawlessly for a tour is just unworkable in practice...  there's also the fact that 'Innocence' is nowhere near the concise record that 'Experience' was...  personally, I would've just bought tickets for the 'Experience' show...  they weren't even playing ONE song from the 'Innocence' album by the time the 'e+i tour' was in its last leg, which speaks volumes on the quality of the songs...:-)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
As groundbreaking as some would believe this idea to be, I'm glad that the band never seriously followed through on it...  they would've been heavily criticized and accused of doing it for a cash grab, or double dippin'...  the jury is still out on whether relying so heavily on the newer material (especially for the 'e+i tour') was the right call or not...  there's also the fact that the band struggles at times to even get one show right and expecting them to deliver two completely different shows back to back flawlessly for a tour is just unworkable in practice...  there's also the fact that 'Innocence' is nowhere near the concise record that 'Experience' was...  personally, I would've just bought tickets for the 'Experience' show...  they weren't even playing ONE song from the 'Innocence' album by the time the 'e+i tour' was in its last leg, which speaks volumes on the quality of the songs...:-)

I agree that to have all this worked out before the Innocence tour would have been next to impossible for U2. I'm not so sure it would have been viewed as a cash grab, maybe though.  I also agree that the experience storyline was a better arc than the innocence show.  However, I think one reason there were no Innocence songs at the end of the last leg was the idea to release this 2 CD set and video record of the Experience tour. 

If I&E would have been released as a double-record release, I think you could have marketed a 2 night show.  It could have also been viewed as Innocence + JT; Experience + AB.    Fans would eat up 2 nights with 2 entirely different setlists.  Not many bands could pull that off with so many good songs.