Author Topic: Return of the Stingray Guitar/Glastonbury/Lucifer Hands/Volcano/American Soul  (Read 1506 times)

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
Hello,

so all of these songs share the same groove but what is the best song out of them ? My vote goes to Glastonbury- they missed a trick there, why they didn't debut it at Glastonbury I'll never know...and the xiren cover's not too shabby either...

thoughts ?

Offline JFW

• Numb
  • Wondering why I still walk the earth
I think they are two roads, not one

Stingray - Lucifer

Glastonbury - Volcano - American Soul

I think Stingray was the best one, mostly finished and dared to open the show a few times with it. Seeing it live would have been weird, but interesting. Just imagine.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
I love the Glastonbury/Volcano/American Soul/XXX song line.

Offline DK46

• Refugee
I quite like Stingray and Lucifer's Hands is very good, may give a slight edge to Stingray, but Lucifer's Hands has a great chorus. The verses do remind me of T. Rex's 20th Century Boy.

The Glastonbury/Volcano/American Soul evolution is interesting.

I think Glastonbury is the strongest, it's got really cool verses, and "the pocketful of sunshine" lyric works more for me than "you and I are rock n' roll." I think Volcano has a groovy baseline from Adam, but American Soul has fun verses too. I like the guitar sound for American Soul, but the chorus is lacking. The "you and I are rock and roll" works more in Volcano as the bridge I think, however I do like it more as a chorus than the actual chorus for Volcano. Hehe, this is a bit confusing.

However, Larry's drums sound good, particularly punchy on Volcano, on which Danger Mouse's production serves them well.

Nonetheless, it's interesting to see them recycle bits for different songs and how the song evolved. I hope that Edge is done with that riff for good now though, it's a bit worn out I'd say.

Offline Jdelbove

• Wanderer
Stingray guitar doesnt have lyrics does it? So i will go with Lucifers Hands.  Also love Bono's voice during the chorus.

As for Glastonbury/Volcano/AS - Volcano hands down.  Im surprised this song doesn't get more love. Its a great rocker, much better than most of their later career rockers. The Vol-Can-O! chorus is great and catchy. Also I like the out in the night/out of your mind pre chorus. Simple but clever lyrics. Great Bass and I love Edge's guitar in the chorus, very underrated later day riff. As someone already mentioned the "you and I are rock n roll" is much better as a bridge. I actually strongly dislike AS.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Stingray guitar doesnt have lyrics does it? So i will go with Lucifers Hands.  Also love Bono's voice during the chorus.

As for Glastonbury/Volcano/AS - Volcano hands down.  Im surprised this song doesn't get more love. Its a great rocker, much better than most of their later career rockers. The Vol-Can-O! chorus is great and catchy. Also I like the out in the night/out of your mind pre chorus. Simple but clever lyrics. Great Bass and I love Edge's guitar in the chorus, very underrated later day riff. As someone already mentioned the "you and I are rock n roll" is much better as a bridge. I actually strongly dislike AS.

I liked how he gave away that he had glaucoma in Volcano and no one caught it:

Your eyes were like landing lights
They used to be the clearest blue
Now you don’t see so well
The future’s gonna land on you

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
No, we caught that.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
You can't 'catch' glaucoma.  It's something that is not transferable between people.
After Bono disclosed, I looked it up (who didn't). 
I was a glaucoma suspect about 11 years ago and when I was leaving hospital after the eye test, I had to wear sunglasses indoors (the effect of the eye drops they gave me as part of the test).  I thought that I felt like Bono.  If only I knew.....
I also have blue eyes.
I don't have glaucoma, I have something that can be misdiagnosed for glaucoma but is not related.  It's called Tilted Disc Syndrome or Fuch's Coloboma in one eye. The symptoms can appear similar (optic nerve looks suspicious on retina photo and slight loss of peripheral vision).  It's something that is congenital. I can see well enough and since Bono's disclosure, I make sure I go for regular eye tests.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You can't 'catch' glaucoma.  It's something that is not transferable between people.
After Bono disclosed, I looked it up (who didn't). 
I was a glaucoma suspect about 11 years ago and when I was leaving hospital after the eye test, I had to wear sunglasses indoors (the effect of the eye drops they gave me as part of the test).  I thought that I felt like Bono.  If only I knew.....
I also have blue eyes.
I don't have glaucoma, I have something that can be misdiagnosed for glaucoma but is not related.  It's called Tilted Disc Syndrome or Fuch's Coloboma in one eye. The symptoms can appear similar (optic nerve looks suspicious on retina photo and slight loss of peripheral vision).  It's something that is congenital. I can see well enough and since Bono's disclosure, I make sure I go for regular eye tests.
I think Laoghaire was referring to catching the allusion to glaucoma in the song volcano, not catching the condition of glaucoma.

That said, I don’t see that lyric as a reference to vision problems.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 11:35:11 PM by Tortuga »

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
Musically, "Volcano" is as much 'punk rock from Venus' as "Get On Your Boots" tried but never could be.