Author Topic: Is Crumbs From Your Table their best song that no one knows about?  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Is Crumbs From Your Table their best song that no one knows about?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've gone back and listened to it a few times lately and have decided it's a very good song.  To be sure, it's quite odd, and has one of Bono's worst lyrics: "three to a bed, Sister Ann she said, dignity passes by."  (Or maybe it's so deep I just don't get it....?)  Nevertheless, there is just something very catchy and straightforward about it, and there's no doubt that it's got a great message.  As I remember, Bono is trying to sound a call to Christians, especially evangelicals, who pay little attention to social justice and poverty issues.

You probably already know but it refers to Sister Anne explaining the situation in Malawi being such that resources for the sick were so scarce that they had only one bed for every three patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »
Nice story.  Thanks for sharing.  Good ol' Bono--such a good man!

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
I've gone back and listened to it a few times lately and have decided it's a very good song.  To be sure, it's quite odd, and has one of Bono's worst lyrics: "three to a bed, Sister Ann she said, dignity passes by."  (Or maybe it's so deep I just don't get it....?)  Nevertheless, there is just something very catchy and straightforward about it, and there's no doubt that it's got a great message.  As I remember, Bono is trying to sound a call to Christians, especially evangelicals, who pay little attention to social justice and poverty issues.

You probably already know but it refers to Sister Anne explaining the situation in Malawi being such that resources for the sick were so scarce that they had only one bed for every three patients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. I think it was Bonos tortured way of singing about a miserable, vile situation that no one should have to go through, using the lens of a good person he met. I have no idea how Id frame that into poetry, and the fact that he worked it into an actual song amazes me.