Author Topic: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour  (Read 15138 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2019, 07:51:32 AM »
I'm remaining hopeful.  The small matter of Easter weekend gets in the way of late April.  Maybe in the next week or so we will hear more.
(I was sarky about 'small' matter of Easter.  It's a big thing and Bono and I along with many millions more observe it).

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2019, 05:11:36 PM »
Yes. The corporate money gougers of LiveNation also pay strict observance of easter.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes. The corporate money gougers of LiveNation also pay strict observance of easter.

In the sense that half the country is off on holidays over Easter and ANZAC Day this week and therefore won't be paying attention to any tour announcements, then yes, they do pay strict observance of Easter!

Other than one fan website, there isn't the slightest hint of U2 touring anywhere this year...

Offline daveyg

• Refugee
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2019, 12:36:14 AM »
Other than one fan website, there isn't the slightest hint of U2 touring anywhere this year...
+1
Announcement: U2 are doing a twelve year every city in the world tour starting and finishing in Dublin this Friday. Tickets on sale at midnight tonight. They will take no breaks and no albums will be made in this time due to time constraints.

There you are. Another announcement on a fan site that isnít announced anywhere else. Must be official. 😊

Offline Mr Peabody

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2019, 07:10:04 AM »

There was discussion on radio and in newspapers down here around the difficulty Elton Johnís people were having in securing premium accommodation in Sydney for their entourage due to U2 having booked up several mansions in Sydney around the same time as his scheduled tour dates. Thatís an alternative source. Forgive us for getting excited down here....itís been a long wait....

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #110 on: April 24, 2019, 07:17:57 AM »
Mr P - beat me to it.

Exactly. It's not one source.

You have 2 very reputable fan sites, plus local news plus radio.

If it doesn't happen, it probably means it has fallen through rather than was never happening.

I can say first hand that an Auckland hotel chain told me "prices are high as there is a big concert in Auckland" on the rumoured dates.

Planning is happening, whether it bears fruit remains to be seen.

But let us get excited.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #111 on: April 24, 2019, 10:41:15 AM »
1. Rattle And Hum is only two albums in the Vinyl configuration. On Cassette and Compact Disc, there is just one album.
2. RIAA did not allow multiple disc, records, or CDs from an album to be counted multiple times for sales until the mid-1990s.
3. Rattle And Hum achieved triple platinum status, RIAA certified, on January 17, 1989. That's 3 million sold in the United States ALONE. In 1989, albums like The WALL by Pink Floyd or Physical Graffitti By Led Zeppelin could only be counted once for the sell of the album, not twice or more for the extra record in the package. Same with vinyl copies of Rattle And Hum. One purchase equaled one album sold.

the "vinyl configuration" still made for the bulk of sales as CD's weren't quite yet taking over...  technology was still evolving to the point where the players and the discs themselves weren't as costly, for CD's were more than double the cost of LP's when they first appeared in the mid-eighties while the players themselves weren't yet within reach of most household's budgets...  getting back to Australia (as in ARIA), if I may, there's a detail that you're conveniently overlooking in that they certify by Shipments, not Sales...  their barometer for units shipped is much less than your six digit American sales figures and yes, the 2 records count as 2 shipped...  stick to the topic of Australia here...  there's a reason why 'Rattle & Hum' appeared to outsell 'The Joshua Tree' Down Under, but you really have no hard data to back that up, do you?  that's because it didn't happen...

I have a hard time picturing a packed theatre "singing along" to 'Van Dieman's Land' & 'Heartland' back in the day, sorry...  let me guess...  they sang along to 'Where The Streets Have No Name' and 'With Or Without You'...  two songs that never appeared on the 'Rattle & Hum' album...  I won't insult your intelligence and point to which album they're from...  many copies of the album were shipped to Australia to coincide with the tour and we really have no idea exactly how many "units" were sold...

getting to the music...  there's very little innovation and originality that had laced their previous releases up until that point...  whenever I hear the intro to 'Angel of Harlem' come on the radio, I still hear Bob Dylan's 'Like A Rolling Stone' instead before I realize, "oh yeah this is U2"...  'Desire' got a "standing ovation" at your High School?!  well... it is a catchy groove and the teens cheering it on weren't old enough at the time to recognize it as Bo Diddley's signature regurgitated...  'Hawkmoon 269' & 'All I Want Is You' are yet more songs written around the same A to D chord formula that was done so much better previously on the song 'Bad'...

one of the best is 'Freedom For My People' which isn't even them but full marks to them for paying homage to an unsigned brilliant musician...  'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' is top notch and a great arrangement, while 'Silver & Gold' is riveting but they're not exactly 'Rattle & Hum' songs...  I've all ready hit on the hideous cover versions which aren't worth mentioning again...  these aren't just personal opinions, they're songs directly attributed to other artists other than U2 with very little originality to them...  you can't really say that about much of their material up until this point...  they became devoured by the Americana that they had all ready fully explored on 'The Joshua Tree' album and it painfully shows...  yes, time for a reboot...  Achtung Baby!...:-)

I have liked Rattle & Hum for a long time but when I started playing guitar I realized just how simple those songs on the album are to play. AIWIY, Love Rescue Me, Desire are all the stuff of genius and simpleton at the same time.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #112 on: April 25, 2019, 03:53:14 PM »
Mr P - beat me to it.

Exactly. It's not one source.

You have 2 very reputable fan sites, plus local news plus radio.

If it doesn't happen, it probably means it has fallen through rather than was never happening.

I can say first hand that an Auckland hotel chain told me "prices are high as there is a big concert in Auckland" on the rumoured dates.

Planning is happening, whether it bears fruit remains to be seen.

But let us get excited.

My mistake. It's one fan site reporting on another fan site. And a one newspaper with a reputation for making stuff up regularly.

But sure - believe it if you want to! I live in Australia and would LOVE for the band to tour - we've been stiffed for way too many tours now. But I'll believe a tour is happening when I see it announced on U2.com

Offline Mr Peabody

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2019, 03:58:41 PM »
And letís not forget that the Edge said theyíre coming. A source from the horseís mouth...

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #114 on: April 25, 2019, 04:44:30 PM »
Indeed U2.com is the best source. But the atu2 rumour came from our own contacts not via another website. That all said the proof will be in the pudding (if there is one!)

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #115 on: April 25, 2019, 07:24:12 PM »
And letís not forget that the Edge said theyíre coming. A source from the horseís mouth...

Did he say when they're coming? Or was it some variation on that old chestnut - "we can't wait to get to [insert name of country] and are doing everything we can to get shows locked in"? For example: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 07:27:27 PM by Boba Fett »

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2019, 08:11:26 PM »
Iím curious, does Hawaii also have trouble getting shows from big acts?

What I donít understand is why so many artists insist on touring with this big production.  I work right by a 20k seat venue and nearly every show is accompanied by 30 or 40 semi trucks.  Is the music not enough for people anymore?  I would love to see U2 do a stripped back show without all the multimedia BS.  Granted, you need some screens so people can see, but not all the gimmicky stuff U2 insists on having these days.  Why canít they just fly down there with their instruments and use local equipment?  Iím sure Australian fans would rather have that than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »
Iím curious, does Hawaii also have trouble getting shows from big acts?

What I donít understand is why so many artists insist on touring with this big production.  I work right by a 20k seat venue and nearly every show is accompanied by 30 or 40 semi trucks.  Is the music not enough for people anymore?  I would love to see U2 do a stripped back show without all the multimedia BS.  Granted, you need some screens so people can see, but not all the gimmicky stuff U2 insists on having these days.  Why canít they just fly down there with their instruments and use local equipment?  Iím sure Australian fans would rather have that than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I would prefer a stripped back show, just the band and their music. 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »

Did he say when they're coming? Or was it some variation on that old chestnut - "we can't wait to get to [insert name of country] and are doing everything we can to get shows locked in"? For example: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"unfortunately it's partly the distance and all that stuff but we absolutely are coming"

(right before bono poured cold water on any definitives...)

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2019, 06:06:16 AM »
Tour will be announced by end of this month. Aus/NZ in November.