Author Topic: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour  (Read 16899 times)

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour
« Reply #135 on: May 13, 2019, 07:37:11 PM »
Nobody here knows anything about their health or state of mind or interest level in a mini tour in the pac rim.  So this is all just speculation.

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2019, 12:05:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Nobody here knows anything about their health or state of mind or interest level in a mini tour in the pac rim.  So this is all just speculation.

Which is why the thread title starts off with "Rumour".

Offline daveyg

• Refugee
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2019, 03:32:46 AM »
So while it's true that - if this tour will actually happen - work would already be happening months prior, the band's involvement will hardly be onerous.

Maybe I over generalised, but It's not just the band setting a few amps up on the back of a truck. Nor is it just a matter of Bono ringing into the office asking to book hotels and venues for the following three weeks in Sydney, and asking Willy to slap something together in a week. Followed by Edge texting the lads a rough setlist on his way to the airport. The whole U2 machine takes time to rumble into a tour. And they were never any good at playing on the fly (no pun intended) - they're not versatile enough to do a Bruce Sprinsteen and basically do a full gig of audience requests. They have an arch to a show, with a bit of wiggle room to add and remove songs on a particular tour. This is primarily to do with their capacity to improvise, Edge's effects settings, and the visuals on screen which don't allow for too much wiggle room. This all requires work by both the band and support act further than bashing though I Will Follow once or twice in a rehearsal room. But let's step away from this..

Anyway, let's not get caught up on Bono and the boys stating they needed a good break, and us giving them six months and now telling them to get off their asses, nor on prepping for the gig.

There seems a severe lack of hype on this almost wishlist tour from the band. In fact, it sounds like they ARE taking that break and being exceptionally quiet overall. Adam chatting on Irish TV, Edge photographed in his capacity as a Director of a Company in the US. Bono just generally getting photographed buying the newspaper or whatever

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2019, 04:52:50 AM »

Speculation and rumors are two entirely different things.  A rumor is a piece of information coming from someone who supposedly has some inside source of information from the band.  This has turned into people pretending they are inside the heads of the band and rationalizing why they are going or not going to do this tour.  Speculation is even less reliable than rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2019, 06:22:39 AM »
Wow we really have run out of things to argue about now.

Offline daveyg

• Refugee
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2019, 07:07:44 AM »
haha..... em, I really don't like Adam's hairstyle....... discuss (jumps under table)

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »

Speculation and rumors are two entirely different things.  A rumor is a piece of information coming from someone who supposedly has some inside source of information from the band.  This has turned into people pretending they are inside the heads of the band and rationalizing why they are going or not going to do this tour.  Speculation is even less reliable than rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, but a thread with the title rumor in the title naturally turns into a thread of speculation. I mean what exactly is discussed in a rumor thread that is NOT speculation.

Offline Gazoon

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2019, 10:49:41 AM »
Would seem odd for them not to promote their new music in these countries. It'd seem like a missed opportunity to do so. Up until the JT tour, U2 have mostly been moving forward instead of looking back in terms of their music catologue
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:26:58 PM by singnomore »

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2019, 11:39:38 AM »
haha..... em, I really don't like Adam's hairstyle....... discuss (jumps under table)

I think he has the best hairstyle of them all.  Larry has the same style since 1980.  Edge doesn't have a hairstyle (unless you count beanie vs. baseball cap) and Bono, well...not even sure what the hell that is, when your hairstyle looks better when wearing a top hat, then you need something new.  People say U2 is uncool....it's all because of Bono's hair.  But Adam?  He's taken a page from David Byrne's book on aging graciously as a rock star.

Please come out from under the table.

Offline stumpy

• Babyface
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2019, 03:51:19 PM »
I don't get where all the hype from these aledged reliable official sources is coming from. From memory I thought the bands statement after the previous tour is that they are taking a break from touring due to physical conditions impacted by age and the need for some time for themselves.
Just a question, but throughout history have we EVER been able to take what the band say as gospel?

That's a good question. They certainly have a renown, well known, reputation for people not taking anything they say as gospel (especially Bono). As the Elevation Tour wrapped up in 2001 pretty sure I remember similar rumours/specution on interference (and TrippleM radio Melbourne) that they were coming to Australia.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2019, 10:03:27 PM »
I don't get where all the hype from these aledged reliable official sources is coming from. From memory I thought the bands statement after the previous tour is that they are taking a break from touring due to physical conditions impacted by age and the need for some time for themselves.
Just a question, but throughout history have we EVER been able to take what the band say as gospel?

That's a good question. They certainly have a renown, well known, reputation for people not taking anything they say as gospel (especially Bono). As the Elevation Tour wrapped up in 2001 pretty sure I remember similar rumours/specution on interference (and TrippleM radio Melbourne) that they were coming to Australia.

I think sometimes the situation is that the band (or at least their representatives) are in negotiations with an Australian tour promoter when asked as to whether they're touring or not. Their answers are usually along the lines of "we're trying..." - which is technically true. But sometimes the negotiations fail and it looks like the band has misled their fans.

Offline stumpy

• Babyface
« Reply #146 on: May 15, 2019, 01:59:49 AM »

I think sometimes the situation is that the band (or at least their representatives) are in negotiations with an Australian tour promoter when asked as to whether they're touring or not. Their answers are usually along the lines of "we're trying..." - which is technically true. But sometimes the negotiations fail and it looks like the band has misled their fans.

They are a multi-talented band. Smooth operators when it comes to business and money, but also gifted in other areas like giving vague answers so they are on safe ground. Bono has also certainly mastered the art-form of creating new album descriptions.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #147 on: May 15, 2019, 04:48:44 AM »
Driving home from work today and the guy hosting the drive home session said that there would be a huge announcement from U2 on Monday.  He is an older guy ( same age as U2) with a lot of connections in the industry and his daughter is married to the drummer of some American band who's name currently escapes me.

No idea what it could be so add that to the rumours!

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #148 on: May 15, 2019, 05:06:18 AM »
Which station?

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2019, 05:15:03 AM »
Which station?