Author Topic: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour  (Read 11060 times)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2019, 08:51:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
SCG? Where did you read that? I'd seen a post from a new user on U2start, who probably got it from a FB post.

But has there been anything official, or close to it? I hope so, but if there's nothing like that is be assuming it's ANZ again.

Please be the SCG!

Rumour dates were posted on 'U2 Australia' FB page today.
Right after I saw these dates I went searching for an 'accessible' page online and found the Ticketmaster page/link.

We have been sent the following tour dates by two sources.

November 8, 9 - Auckland - Mt. Smart Stadium

November 12 - Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium

November 15, 16 - Melbourne - Marvel Stadium

November 19 - Adelaide - Adelaide Oval

November 22, 23 - Sydney - Sydney Cricket Ground

November 27 and add 28th - Perth - Optus Stadium

November 30 and add December 1st - Singapore - National Stadium

December 4, 5 - Tokyo - Saitama Super Arena

December 8 and add 9th - Seoul - Gocheok Sky Dome

But the Ticketmaster pages you've seen have only shown the 3 Ticketmaster venues (Auckland, Melbourne & Perth) haven't they?

I don't think the FB page is legit. I think it's just taken existing rumours, & filled in the blanks.

Unless there's scheduling conflicts I'd definitely expect ANZ stadium to be used in Sydney (unfortunately). It was supposed to be renovated, but that has been delayed until 2020. Metallica will play there in October 2019, Queen in Feb 2020. U2's last two Sydney tours occurred at ANZ.

U2start also believe there's another error in that FB page. Not sure if that is dates or venues. But Perth date looks wrong. 3 free days before Perth, one free day after (unlikely)!

I'd expect both Tokyo & Seoul are correct venues (they need to be large indoor venues for winter), but have no real idea about Singapore, but it looks good. Not sure if Suncorp is available (they have limited concerts there), but I hope so. Expect Adelaide would use Adelaide Oval.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 09:48:35 AM by d.darroch »

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2019, 03:53:00 PM »
Sydney Cricket Ground? That's not great news for fans. It's a circular field (as opposed to a 'normal' rectangular football field), which means seats in the stands are much further away from the field (or stage in the case of concerts).

Assuming this rumour is true, I'm guessing they've chosen the smaller capacity stadium due to fears of lower ticket sales (the SCG has a 48k capacity, compared to ANZ's 83k) than the last time they toured.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2019, 03:58:58 PM »
Given what has been 'released' and now taken down I think you can assume the venues are legit with Sydney being the one with question marks

Ticketmaster listed 3 ticketmaster venues - Mt smart, Marvel and optus Stadiums.

Suncorp and Adelaide Oval are ticketek venues.

Interestingly so is ANZ in Sydney, and although it's booked for Queen in Feb it was originally slated for redevelopment from late 2019...maybe that led to the scg decision although ultimately not necessary...

Who knows.

Or maybe the SCG is wrong. Maybe the dates are wrong too. Guess we'll find out on monday

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2019, 06:49:31 PM »
Sydney Cricket Ground? That's not great news for fans. It's a circular field (as opposed to a 'normal' rectangular football field), which means seats in the stands are much further away from the field (or stage in the case of concerts).

Assuming this rumour is true, I'm guessing they've chosen the smaller capacity stadium due to fears of lower ticket sales (the SCG has a 48k capacity, compared to ANZ's 83k) than the last time they toured.

I'll be in GA, I'd love it to be the SCG. But yeah, not great for the majority of the crowd, who are in seats.

Although I'm 99% sure the SCG rumour is false. The SCG is not required now, as the ANZ refurb has been postponed. U2 sold around 200,000 tickets in Sydney for each of the last two tours to reach our shores. Two shows at the SGC will fall FAR short of demand, probably below half of what they could sell. Even two shows at ANZ may be short of demand (2 x 70,000 for an end-of-field stage design).

U2Songs who have many, many sources, have never listed the SCG as a venue. No other evidence has appeared either. Just a list of venues that is doing the rounds on FB. Fake list in my books, just (incorrectly) filling in the blanks left by U2songs.

Not long until we have an answer 😁

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2019, 07:16:52 PM »
The more I think about it the more I reckon you're on to something. The Perth dates seem late and run into the Asian dates a bit too much

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2019, 08:15:00 PM »
Especially because of International travel. Perth is right on the ocean.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
Perth to Singapore is close... But not that close...!

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2019, 10:03:25 PM »
don't you mean to say Faraway, So Close!...:-)

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2019, 10:12:58 PM »
A little birdy just told me that it is indeed at the SCG! Very confusing, maybe there are scheduling conflicts. No way demand will be met with two shows!

In any case, if it's true, it's great news for tourists coming to see the show & the city, & those of us that live close to the coast. Just not those in seats, which will be miles away, as the SCG is a large cricket oval.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:43:13 PM by d.darroch »

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2019, 10:16:32 PM »
And not in that part of Sydney that always seems closer to Perth...

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2019, 10:44:27 PM »
Haha, so true. I always feel like I'm in the outback, in the desert, while I'm baking in that GA line.

Offline touringband

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2019, 02:27:35 AM »
Looks like Brisbane will have the best seating in Australia as its the only rectangular field they're playing on.  All the others are huge ovals.

Offline briscoetheque

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2019, 02:29:31 AM »
If you stand though, same same

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2019, 03:05:45 AM »

About 5 and1/4 hours flight time to Singapore so not much difference to flying Perth to Sydney

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2019, 07:21:16 AM »
I cannot believe it's true. They won't photoshoot in the "desert" if there was no tour happening this year. Esp not Larry haha.

First time in their whole career (43 years?) They are playing Singapore and Seoul.

Maybr jick will come back to the forum.