Author Topic: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour  (Read 17288 times)

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
Re: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We shall see I guess.

Fingers crossed.

I really hope it happens for all you guys down under

Offline skelter

• Staring at the Sun
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2019, 10:09:43 AM »
Announcement could be 12 April or any time in April. Place your bets now! I bet no tour!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
Or April 15

Offline daveyg

• Refugee
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2019, 08:01:54 AM »
Announcement could be 12 April or any time in April. Place your bets now! I bet no tour!

+1. I can see this discussion going right up to December 31st only to start right up again in 2020

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2019, 07:36:06 AM »
Nah, I am over it already.   

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2019, 10:52:24 PM »
Or April 15

Id watch this space

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2019, 11:12:27 PM »
Or April 15

Id watch this space

Me too. I follow M2.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2019, 10:53:17 AM »
Monday sounds good...presale 1 on Wednesday, Presale 2 Thursday and general sales Friday??? Time will tell.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »

I will be happy for our friends in the southern hemisphere if this happens. Sounds like it will, but it seems weird to startup the Joshua Tree tour again.  I wonder if this is because of some contractual obligation to Live Nation or if they just want to show some love to fans in the southern hemisphere? 

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »

it seems weird to startup the Joshua Tree tour again
why?  they haven't played anything from the album since the 2017 tour...  if anything, the 30th Anniversary Tour's timing was "weird" for people were still awaiting the 'Experience' album's release and it had appeared that the 'Innocence' tour was only half finished at the time...

the logic behind starting up another leg of 'The Joshua Tree' is pretty simple...  they can sell out stadiums on this premise as opposed to arenas which weren't exactly filling up during the last tour in some instances...  'The Joshua Tree' is money in the bank...  they can sell more tickets in an abbreviated window...  if you were to poll the Australians on whether they'd want a 'Joshua Tree' or 'e+i' show I'm thinking that there'd be overwhelming support for 'The Joshua Tree'...

I don't know about the 'Lovetown' talk (30 years this year) either for 'Rattle & Hum' is seen as a sort of downpoint in their history, rivaled only by 'Pop' & 'Innocence'...  it'd be a hard sell commemorating 30 years since 'Rattle & Hum', for stadiums anyway, in my opinion...  even hardcore U2 fans don't really talk much about the mediocre covers of The Beatles' classic 'Helter Skelter' or a version of 'All Along The Watchtower' that pales in comparison to just about every other version out there...

The 2017 tour reconnected U2's core audience to the heart of their legacy, which many had long lost sight of, particularly after a sad offering in the form of a 'Songs of Innocence' album, and I'm not just talking about the manner in which it was "offered"...  The Southern Hemisphere missed out on what, in my opinion, was their finest tour both visually and musically in 2017...  This demographic has been very supportive of the band throughout their careers and is fully deserving of a Joshua Tree themed tour...:-)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »
So this is happening on Monday?

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »

why?  they haven't played anything from the album since the 2017 tour...  if anything, the 30th Anniversary Tour's timing was "weird" for people were still awaiting the 'Experience' album's release and it had appeared that the 'Innocence' tour was only half finished at the time...

the logic behind starting up another leg of 'The Joshua Tree' is pretty simple...  they can sell out stadiums on this premise as opposed to arenas which weren't exactly filling up during the last tour in some instances...  'The Joshua Tree' is money in the bank...  they can sell more tickets in an abbreviated window...  if you were to poll the Australians on whether they'd want a 'Joshua Tree' or 'e+i' show I'm thinking that there'd be overwhelming support for 'The Joshua Tree'...

I don't know about the 'Lovetown' talk (30 years this year) either for 'Rattle & Hum' is seen as a sort of downpoint in their history, rivaled only by 'Pop' & 'Innocence'...  it'd be a hard sell commemorating 30 years since 'Rattle & Hum', for stadiums anyway, in my opinion...  even hardcore U2 fans don't really talk much about the mediocre covers of The Beatles' classic 'Helter Skelter' or a version of 'All Along The Watchtower' that pales in comparison to just about every other version out there...

The 2017 tour reconnected U2's core audience to the heart of their legacy, which many had long lost sight of, particularly after a sad offering in the form of a 'Songs of Innocence' album, and I'm not just talking about the manner in which it was "offered"...  The Southern Hemisphere missed out on what, in my opinion, was their finest tour both visually and musically in 2017...  This demographic has been very supportive of the band throughout their careers and is fully deserving of a Joshua Tree themed tour...:-)

1. The Southern Hemisphere was visited by the Joshua Tree in 2019. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Columbia all got Joshua Tree shows.

2. Joshua Tree is NOT U2's biggest selling album in Australia. Rattle And Hum is U2's biggest selling album in Australia. Surprising I know, but its true.

3. The Lovetown Tour was massive in Australia, was special in many ways, and had a huge impact.

4. Rattle And Hum was never a downpoint in U2's history in terms of sales. Critics did not like the movie and were lukewarm to the album, but most fans enjoyed it. Its not at all a downpoint in their history like POP or Innocence can be considered. If anything, Rattle And Hum perfectly primed the pump for Achtung Baby and ZOO TV.

Offline opening night

• Stateless
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2019, 12:45:40 AM »
I totally agree with wons about point 1-3!

btw. The rumor is that this is NOT a JT-Tour, only with the stage from 2017.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2019, 04:43:46 AM »

1. The Southern Hemisphere was visited by the Joshua Tree in 2019. Brazil, Argentina, Chile, and Columbia all got Joshua Tree shows.

2. Joshua Tree is NOT U2's biggest selling album in Australia. Rattle And Hum is U2's biggest selling album in Australia. Surprising I know, but its true.

3. The Lovetown Tour was massive in Australia, was special in many ways, and had a huge impact.

4. Rattle And Hum was never a downpoint in U2's history in terms of sales. Critics did not like the movie and were lukewarm to the album, but most fans enjoyed it. Its not at all a downpoint in their history like POP or Innocence can be considered. If anything, Rattle And Hum perfectly primed the pump for Achtung Baby and ZOO TV.

Yep not surprising at all, Rattle and Hum was one of my favourites, I didn't even realise the critics didn't like it much, that surprised me.  Maybe the American critics were tougher on it for reasons that were of less importance to Australians.  Although I do agree taking on Hendrix and Watchtower was ambitious.  I can still hear Jimi's verison in my head after all these years
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 04:59:06 AM by summerholly »

Offline Billy Rhythm

• Babyface
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2019, 02:29:51 PM »

South America got a leg for the 2017 Tour...  of course I was talking about a tour exclusive to the Southern Hemisphere...  any tour Down Under would've been "massive" back in the day for they rarely visited there...  don't know about your sales data but I'll take your word for it...  at any rate 'Rattle & Hum' is a Joshua Tree sidebar...  the best moments, especially in the film, are The Joshua Tree material performed live...  even the better new songs, such as 'Hawkmoon 269', sound like Joshua B-Sides or, songs that weren't good or innovative enough to form a cohesive new album...

it's a "downpoint" in their history for they were becoming bad parodies of, not only themselves, but doing a poor job of imitating their idols...  'Desire' hit Number One out of the gate for the same reasons that 'Discotheque' from 'POP' did...  the world was salivating for a new U2 record...  what they got was a second rate Bo Diddley rip-off (they wouldn't be the first) where Bono's going on about red guitars (where have we heard that before?)...  talking about a 30th Anniversary 'Rattle & Hum' show where the expectation is that they'd play the entire album in its entirety would be pretty sad, in my opinion...  is he supposed to repeat the pretentious introduction by giving further notoriety to a mass murderer who's name should be unspoken forever?!

the worst part would be hearing Bono attempting to recapture the passionate screaming of 'Hawkmoon 269's later verses, or in 'God (Part II)' (another ripped off title) with his now older vocals...  even the band themselves realized that they were trying too hard to be something that they weren't back then which resulted in them hitting the reset button and going back to being U2 for the early to mid-nineties (you are 100% correct when you said "Rattle And Hum perfectly primed the pump for Achtung Baby and ZOO TV")...  'Rattle & Hum' is a fragmented mess (one of its charms, I suppose) and wreaks of them trying to milk 'The Joshua Tree'/Americana thing for all its worth...  making the vinyl a double album was a joke for they easily could've fit what was offered onto a single disc...  if you're gonna make it 2 records then include the best tracks that weren't included (in other words, More Joshua Tree)...

I'd like to think that U2 have learned from the 'Rattle & Hum' experience, but to make this rumored tour about 'Lovetown' would be history repeating itself for the wrong reasons...  'Rattle & Hum's saving grace is 'The Joshua Tree'...:-)