Author Topic: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour  (Read 6792 times)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour
« on: February 10, 2019, 11:01:58 AM »
According to the reliable U2Songs site, it looks like a tour of Aus and NZ is likely at the end of this year, as previously rumoured.
Remember this is a rumour, and is not confirmed by the band, Live Nation or any proposed venue.  But here's what U2Songs say:

"A few additional pieces of information have been sent our way, but these are for a tour that has not been officially announced, and appears to still be in the planning stages, and these items may change with the official announcement:
•A rumoured show for New Zealand is being reported to us as happening on November 8, 2019. It is not known if this is the start of the tour or if there will be earlier dates before that. Until such time that these are officially announced, this should be considered a rumour only, and should not be used to book travel or accommodation.
•At least four cities in Australia are on the currently being developed itinerary, we are told that there is room to add additional cities at the end of the current plans. It is not known if this may include an additional city in Australia or possibly stops in Asia.
•Earlier rumours (see links below) suggested that U2 were looking at new countries as options for this tour. We are told that Singapore is on the final list that is being worked on. It is the first city outside of Australia and New Zealand that has been named to us, but it is not expected to be the only Asian stop. We do not know if this will be before New Zealand, or after Australia.
•Each city should receive two shows, but expect that when announced, only the first show will be sold, with the second being added after initial sales.
•Some components of the stage / screen for The Joshua Tree 2017 are reportedly in the region in storage now, and may be used for this tour, but this tour will not be branded the same, and modifications to the stage are being designed.
•There are no rumours that this tour will continue on beyond December 2019.
•Other sources beyond our initial sources that we mentioned in yesterday’s article, have now also shared with us that this tour is being planned.

If the tour is announced, it will not be the first time that U2 has visited Australia a little later than the rest of the world. When the original Joshua Tree tour did not make it to Australia in 1987, the band finally visited in 1989 on the LoveTown tour. That tour would also take the band through Europe. In 2006, the band delayed a number of tour dates in Asia and Australia for personal reasons, and had an eight month break in the tour before finishing with shows in Australia and Asia, and a final show in Hawaii. Rumours that this 2019 tour would happen started last fall at the end of the Experience and Innocence tour, when tour crew told fans that they had been asked to keep their schedules open for possible further touring in the latter part of the year."

Offline Amrice78

• Babyface
Re: Rumour: Southern Hemisphere 2019 tour
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:46:24 PM »
It’s good for them

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
While I'd love for this to be true, the thing that makes me a bit wary of it is that U2 always have a purpose for their tours. The Lovetown tour was riding off the back of Rattle and Hum (which I think is still the most successful U2 album in Australia?).

So, what would be the rationale for this tour?

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:32:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
While I'd love for this to be true, the thing that makes me a bit wary of it is that U2 always have a purpose for their tours. The Lovetown tour was riding off the back of Rattle and Hum (which I think is still the most successful U2 album in Australia?).

Lovetown 2.0? Just like the US & Europe got the JT 2.0?

Yeah, The Joshua Tree is a much bigger album than Rattle & Hum, so deserved celebrating a second time around.

Which is the highest selling U2 record in Australia? The Joshua Tree, no. Achtung Baby, no. Rattle & Hum, bingo, you're right!!

So if they're going to celebrate that album anywhere, Australia would be as good a place as any.

Maybe that's not a good enough reason for a tour. But a mate of mine, who works on one of the websites that often has credible information regarding tour rumours, has heard that U2 are still required to do one more tour to satisfy the conditions in their Live Nation contact. So maybe that's the motivation to tour.

I'm not sure U2 really needs to promote their latest album in Australia. As it's often long gone before they even get to Australia, & we often get something more closely resembling a greatest hits tour. The Vertigo tour visited Australia a full two years after HTDAAB was released (although it was delayed for 6 months due to Sian's illness).

I have a friend who has been a crew member for every U2 tour since the start of 360. He was telling me things were in the pipeline when I saw him in November 2018.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 04:16:55 PM by d.darroch »

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:17:38 PM »
I reckon it’s a Joshua Tree based tour - stadiums it seems is what they are looking at otherwise I think the purpose to play is because of the length of time away from that area. I assume they kill mix some of the I&E etc into the show?

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »
I reckon it’s a Joshua Tree based tour - stadiums it seems is what they are looking at otherwise I think the purpose to play is because of the length of time away from that area. I assume they kill mix some of the I&E etc into the show?

Except this point would seem to refute that theory...
" • Some components of the stage / screen for The Joshua Tree 2017 are reportedly in the region in storage now, and may be used for this tour, but this tour will not be branded the same, and modifications to the stage are being designed."

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »
The crew member I know originally said they were designing the stage in November, & investigating the possibility of a hybrid tour, with concerts in both stadiums & arenas. That would be awesome! Though all current rumours seem to point to it being a stadium only tour.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 05:31:36 AM by d.darroch »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 05:55:48 AM »

Probably cash and contractual obligations I'd say.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2019, 04:51:30 PM »

Probably cash and contractual obligations I'd say.

That would seem to be a very un-U2 thing to do, don't you think?

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2019, 05:20:51 PM »
Have contracts? Want money?

Sounds like U2 to me.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »
the real news in this rumor is that there would be a tour this year.
going to go on a limb and predict there is no tour this year.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 10:56:10 AM »
I'm not a betting person, but I'd nearly put money on it that there will be a tour late this year.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »
I'm not a betting person, but I'd nearly put money on it that there will be a tour late this year.
a tour for what though?  no new material and no big anniversaries to celebrate.  maybe they'll just continue i.e. and take it to new places?

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 01:51:18 PM »
a tour for what though?  no new material and no big anniversaries to celebrate.  maybe they'll just continue i.e. and take it to new places?

30th anniversary of the Lovetown tour?

Offline summerholly

• Refugee
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »

Why complicate things and have a tour for something.  They haven't been here for so long I am sure fans would be happy for them just to come and play whatever.  A selection of music from across the years.   Who cares about new music and anniversaries when they only come once in a blue moon.  Haha it will all be novel whatever they play.  The once in a blue moon tour lol!