Author Topic: 1991 in Music  (Read 789 times)

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
1991 in Music
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
I was reading an article today about the best albums of the 1990s and was again struck by how great of a year 1991 was for music…  Disclaimer:  I was in high school during this time, so I’m biased…  But, I, mean…  come on!  Here’re 15 of my favorites from that year, in chronological order:

Out of Time – REM
Temple of the Dog – Temple of the Dog
Why Do Birds Sing – The Violent Femmes
Into the Great Wide Open – Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
James – James
Steady Diet of Nothing – Fugazi
Metallica – Metallica
Ten – Pearl Jam
Tin Machine II – Tin Machine
No More Tears – Ozzy Osbourne
Use Your Illusion(s) – Guns N Roses
Badmotorfinger – Soundgarden
Blood Sugar Sex Magic – Red Hot Chili Peppers
Nevermind – Nirvana
Achtung Baby – U2

Then comes ’92 with great albums by Tool, Beastie Boys, the Cure, the Black Crowes, Morrissey, INXS, Nine Inch Nails, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, REM (again), and Dr. Dre… 

Little did we know at the time that we were listening to the end of the main storyline, immediately before the final chapters and denouement, of rock and roll.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: 1991 in Music
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 01:27:35 PM »
I have been wondering if there are "great years" in music. 1991 is an obvious one. 1968/9 I assume is another.

Yesterday, I was listening to a compliation of Billboard number ones for the 80s, then 90s. I noticed a significant change in the decades. In the 80s, the chart toppers were a diverse lot. Rock, pop, metal, country (Kenny and Dolly), one or two rap songs, one or two punk songs, a few new wave, etc. And even the nature of the songs varied from dance-y to ballads to screeching metal to folksy to jazzy and so on.

In the 90s, the chart toppers were much more homogeneous. I was listening to Mariah Carey half the time (and her songs were all very same-y), Janet a quarter of the time, and the rest just didn't have much variety, in stark contrast to the 80s.

Now, the 90s had great music - maybe my favorite decade, not sure. So my observation isn't that music sucked in the 90s, not at all. But something changed in the chart toppers. I don't know if it was an organic change or artificially created by the industry, but it was not subtle, it was night and day different. And it made me wonder if it was the forerunner to the death of rock/blues/soul, to variety and authenticity in music.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:02 PM »
I’m curious what “the death of rock” means to different people.  I feel that rock is far from death as I listen to alot of recent/current music I consider to be rock.  I feel like I have access to as much good rock music as I ever did.  The difference I see is that none of that is popular in the mainstream the way it used to be.  Is that what you guys mean when you say that rock is dead? 

I feel like its pretty common for any style of music to fall from the mainstream with the passing of generations.  Big Band and Western Swing were big in the 40s and 50s.  50s Rock n Roll was out by the time my generation was in high school.  The rock I grew up with has now been replaced in the mainstream by today’s urban or hip hop or whatever it is.  Is this all we’re talking about or is it something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »

What’s died is the shared experience of hit music, and everything is so segmented that the variety sucks.

I don’t have time to search for great music and the days of radio are numbered.

1987 was also a great music year but I also agree 1991 was amazing and I was also in High School so maybe it’s also the reason.

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 07:48:08 PM »
I’m not trying to sell you on anything but I still feel really excited about music and since you obviously are a music fan I would like you to feel that too.  I find it easier than ever to discover new music.  I start with my longtime favorites and the streaming service I subscribe to is very good at suggesting new music I might like.  My friends and I hit the share button and send a text link whenever we hear something we like.  Never had that in the 90s.  All I could really know was what I heard on the radio and read about in Rolling Stone. Also there weren’t alot of record stores near where I lived with a great selection so that was kind of limited in terms of discovering new music.

Would anyone here be interested in sharing e-mails so that we can share links to new music?  Probably should share through forum messaging, not in the thread.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 07:50:38 PM »
I don’t have a streaming service I don’t like to stream.  I know I’m old lol.  I listen to NPR in the car I’m old as dirt

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
I'm having a hard time believing you're significantly older than Tortuga, or me, or Vox.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm having a hard time believing you're significantly older than Tortuga, or me, or Vox.
43 not close to dead just mom jeans old

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
1991 in Music
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 08:39:56 PM »
43 not close to dead just mom jeans old

You are Waaaay younger than me.  And I listen to NPR too.  Try a streaming service.  It will change your whole outlook on the music world.  It is more vibrant than ever.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:41:49 PM by Tortuga »

Offline sperduto

• Babyface
  • i'm going outside, mother, i'm going out there
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 06:50:24 AM »
-- milk and honey 80's --

u2 - boy -- october -- war -- the joshua tree
big country -- the crossing
the call -- reconciled
r.e.m. -- murmur
new order -- power corruption & lies
depeche mode -- music for the masses
orchestral manoeuvres in the dark -- architecture & morality
david bowie -- let's dance
simple minds -- new gold dream (81-82-83-84)
xtc -- english settlement
the cure -- disintegration
the smiths -- the smiths
men at work -- business as usual
springsteen -- born in the u.s.a.
my bloody valentine -- isn't anything
duran duran -- rio
b-52's -- wild planet
the go-go's -- beauty and the beat
talking heads -- speaking in tongues
prince and the revolution -- purple rain
the clash -- london calling
pretenders -- pretenders
the police -- synchronicity
the replacements -- let it be
peter gabriel -- so
midnight oil -- diesel and dust
the (english) beat -- wha'ppen
the human league -- dare
elvis costello -- trust
echo & the bunnymen -- heaven up here
cabaret voltaire -- red mecca
public image ltd -- flowers of romance
the fall -- slates
the ramones -- pleasant dreams
los lobos -- how will the wolf survive
ac/dc -- back in black
x -- los ángeles
the cramps -- psychedelic jungle
the comsat angels -- sleep no more
the rolling stones -- tattoo you

➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ➾ ∞
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:52:16 AM by sperduto »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »
Please add Simple Minds "New Gold Dream":  pure gold.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 07:46:30 AM »
Jesus Jones - Doubt
A great album and underrated.

Offline sperduto

• Babyface
  • i'm going outside, mother, i'm going out there
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 10:12:06 AM »
death of rock is a fallacy

the model of disseminating rock music has changed dramatically

digital world bits and bytes mp3's delivered in seconds focus on songs *not* albums

mainstream music is a top 40 billboard construct - unoriginal - easy to find - easy to fit in - easy to consume

major label computer crafted songs with focus on celebrity is what mainstream music has become

underground indie is alive and well brimming with all kinds of rock music - creativity - style - own ideas - visions - dignity remains in musicians despite the hard strife and lack of avowal

indie records labels are means to discover new talented rock bands - 4ad - bella union - rough trade records - cooking vinyl - matador records ➾➾➾

read online or physical rock indie zines blogs - the big takeover - under the radar - atwood magazine - indie pulse magazine - magnet magazine  ➾➾➾

it's right there for you to realize

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 01:28:52 AM »
The only radio station I can tune in to where I live plays exclusively 60s,70s and 80s music so I am stuck in a permanent time warp and I have no idea how to stream music lol.  Mind you had some young European backpackers helping out on the farm and we were doing a boring job so one of them turned the music on his phone way up loud.  I though oh crap it will be rap which I personally absolutely hate but no, out blared the song Radar love by Golden Earring followed by a complete play list of seventies, eighties and nineties music and I thought I was back in my youth!  He would have been early twenties and told me he just loved that music.

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
Here’s what I mean when I hinted about the death of rock… 

Take the list of albums from the original post.  Many of these albums contained songs that were both all over the top 40 pop charts, and also were critically lauded.  I don’t see many-if-any rock artists making the pop charts now.  And even fewer with anywhere near the critical and commercial success that rock bands did from, say, the early 1960’s through to the mid 2000’s. 

Am I saying that chart success means good quality?  No – that’s utterly ridiculous…  But the fact of the matter is, once upon a time good rock music used to touch the popular music charts with somewhat regularity.

Am I saying that there’s no new good rock and roll music out there?  Of course not.  I’m still able to find the occasional song that reaches through to me.  But it’s a measurable fact that the people who tend to listen to new rock and roll music are becoming less and less. 

I’m sure there are people out there who still make good polka music.  But outside of a select subset who search that genre of music out, it may as well be nonexistent.