Author Topic: U2 looks set to ignore South Africa again  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Groovy

• Wanderer
U2 looks set to ignore South Africa again
« on: March 08, 2019, 03:12:33 AM »
I know most people on this forum are probably from Europe or North America, so wonít really care about this post. Thatís fine.

U2 love using Africa/South Africa as props (Vertigo Tour, NLOTH recording in Morocco, Ordinary Love), but for some reason they ignore us when touring.

If the rumors are to be believed U2 is about to announce a tour of Australia/Asia in the next few weeks. The tour is supposed to take place in November/December.

Now firstly let me say Iím very happy for our fellow U2 fans in those regions that you will get a U2 tourÖthe first since 2011. It is long overdue.

But Iím sitting in South Africa and it seems weíll be skipped over again. U2 has toured twice in South Africa - Popmart (1998) and 360 (2011).

When U2 toured here the last time the crowd in Johannesburg was one of their largest ever 96 000, while about 65 000 attended in Cape Town.

Why would they not bring the tour to South Africa? The biggest worldwide stadium tour worldwide currently is Ed Sheeran. He is touring South Africa in a few weeks time. I assume pricing etc would be similar for Sheeran and U2.

I know thereís been no announcement etc, but the signs donít look good.

Itís a sad state of affairs.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: U2 looks set to ignore South Africa again
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:26:18 AM »
I'm not highly optimistic, but nothing's been announced yet. Who knows?

My guess is that even if they can fill a stadium nicely, that the costs of going to a continent are not well wiped out by two cities. I'm assuming Ed's stage set is nowhere near U2's.

Though they did it with The Claw and the PopMart rig so who knows.

I will be pulling for you.

Just curious, how are U2 regarded in SA? I mean, people these days have heard of them? Do they get any radio play?

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:52 AM »
When Ed was in Australia recently his ticket prices were very affordable.  I would guess U2 would be a lot more.  Ed keeps things simple apparently, just him and his guitar  Now U2 are getting older I reckon stripped back shows in the more far flung places would be good.  Just the band and their music without lugging complex stage setting around the world.  I would just like to see them play their music without all the carry on.  Must be getting old lol.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 04:14:04 PM »
Sorry; but they really need a break.

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:15:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sorry; but they really need a break.

Yes indeed they do which is also easy for the Northern hemisphere to say lol as they get an overdose of them!.  Actually I am surprised that U2 doesn't do Africa a little more often as Bono is always going on about Africa and its woes. 

Offline Groovy

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 03:19:58 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not highly optimistic, but nothing's been announced yet. Who knows?

My guess is that even if they can fill a stadium nicely, that the costs of going to a continent are not well wiped out by two cities. I'm assuming Ed's stage set is nowhere near U2's.

Though they did it with The Claw and the PopMart rig so who knows.

I will be pulling for you.

Just curious, how are U2 regarded in SA? I mean, people these days have heard of them? Do they get any radio play?

Think South Africa is pretty much the same as the rest of the world. The main radio stations focus on pop, hip hop etc. Still think they have a large following here. Probably don't sell too many records though....

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 11:45:17 AM »
They have managed to shun Scottish fans on the last 2 tours....which is even more incredible given that they played other shows in the UK both times.

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 03:13:31 PM »
Not enough cities to make it economic most likely.

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 04:53:23 AM »
I Think it is about a safety issue, and tha Z in the location when mailing, that links it with Zimbabwe.

Or is it because of the vuvuzelas?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 04:54:57 AM by Karmamalaga »