Author Topic: U2 - "40' album & tour ?  (Read 959 times)

Offline The White Negro

• Stranger in a Strange Land
U2 - "40' album & tour ?
« on: March 09, 2019, 03:42:25 AM »
How about this scenario?
U2 release career spanning album in time for the Christmas market to co-incide with the 40th anniversary of their recording debut
40 tracks from 40 years
They then take off on the 40 Tour
Aus/NZ pre Christmas then Asia in the new year before taking it to USA and Europe in the summer
Thus fulfilling their Live Nation contract
Then .... Who knows what happens

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
Re: U2 - "40' album & tour ?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »
No - they'll be releasing it on top of the rumoured tour, as their first release was 40 years ago this September 26th. 
This rumoured tour is just Oceania at the moment, but not in support of any album (new material or otherwise).
U2 are a band who will always push themselves to make and release high quality new material.
But - yes - who knows if the tour will be as successful as Joshua Tree 2017 tour.  Where it will go then would be interesting.  I can't see myself turning up to Wembley in the freezing cold wind and rain on a day there's no NFL action.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 08:31:47 AM »
It's an interesting idea, and the tour will take them right up against that anniversary.

My understanding of the Lovetown tour was that it wasn't so much promoting this or that album, and of course not a nostalgia tour, but more like "this is where we are right now."

I'm guessing this will be sort of Lovetown30 not in the sense that they will play R&H and TJT stuff again, but more like they will play what they are now. That includes Innocence and Experience in the spot where TJT and R&H once was, but it won't be the I+E/E+I tour.

They will release a cover this year; it would be amazing if they also released a new original song, too. So those would probably be included.

A nod to TJT30 - maybe a couple highlights in the way they were performed recently.

Obviously a look back in the catalog, maybe highlights they had pulled up for I+E like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, ASOH, etc.

I don't think they will come back to Europe/Americas until they have a NEW ALBUM. A Lovetown-esque tour for the Pacific is fine but I don't want any more nostalgia tours like TJT30. It was fine they did it once but I don't want them to keep doing it.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »
Sounds boring and uninspired. Please no more "looking back" stuff... A new and relevant album/tour with is all they should focus on or care about after their time off.

Offline Boba Fett

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Sounds boring and uninspired. Please no more "looking back" stuff... A new and relevant album/tour with is all they should focus on or care about after their time off.

Seeing as Aus/NZ/Asia missed out on TJT30, why deny that part of the world a nostalgia tour? Believe it or not the world is bigger than North America and Europe. Don't be so selfish!

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:28:20 PM »

Seeing as Aus/NZ/Asia missed out on TJT30, why deny that part of the world a nostalgia tour? Believe it or not the world is bigger than North America and Europe. Don't be so selfish!

Agreed. Aus & NZ deserve a tour. Hopefully the rumours are true.
They are having their breaks now by the looks of the band's Instagram page, and that newspaper story of Bono in the Caribbean. İ