Author Topic: Vertigo- Ash Wednesday and Lent  (Read 297 times)

Offline Maximus

• Desert Rose
  • Some days you wake up in the army
Vertigo- Ash Wednesday and Lent
« on: March 22, 2019, 01:00:17 PM »
So I was in Mass the other day, and the Gospel reading was about Jesus being tempted by the devil at the end of his 40 day fast: so when the devil showed Jesus the kingdoms of the world and told him all of this could be yours; immediately I thought of Vertigo the lyric all of this could be yours all of this could be yours just give me what I want. Well the devil wanted Jesus to worship him and he would give them all the kingdoms of the world; of course Jesus said get thee behind me Satan. But listening to the Vertigo in this light made me realize the whole song is about temptation. I have been listening to that song for what 14 years now. (I bought the CD in 2005 in Kuwait) couldn’t get it in Iraq. Wow bloody brilliant song writing.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: Vertigo- Ash Wednesday and Lent
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 01:19:01 PM »
My mind was blown when I figured out this song. Seemed like U2's shallowest.

It was the same part that made me go "ohhhh." I could never hear what he was saying but when I looked at the lyrics, it all came together.

Offline sperduto

• Babyface
  • i'm going outside, mother, i'm going out there
Re: Vertigo- Ash Wednesday and Lent
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 05:48:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So I was in Mass the other day, and the Gospel reading was about Jesus being tempted by the devil at the end of his 40 day fast: so when the devil showed Jesus the kingdoms of the world and told him all of this could be yours; immediately I thought of Vertigo the lyric all of this could be yours all of this could be yours just give me what I want. Well the devil wanted Jesus to worship him and he would give them all the kingdoms of the world; of course Jesus said get thee behind me Satan. But listening to the Vertigo in this light made me realize the whole song is about temptation. I have been listening to that song for what 14 years now. (I bought the CD in 2005 in Kuwait) couldn’t get it in Iraq. Wow bloody brilliant song writing.

thanks for this.  always thought it was a wonderful rock song.  now knowing this just adds to my love of the song.