Author Topic: Some rambling thoughts  (Read 1111 times)

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
Re: Some rambling thoughts
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 05:49:53 PM »
Perhaps, but I don't think that really soured things. They waited that long, released an album that didn't really amount to much, but unleashed the biggest tour on the face of the planet. Clearly they hadn't lost much in the way of goodwill, and I don't think NLOTH's iffy reception was really much of a problem. Plenty of other artists have survived without regularly-released great albums. I mean, The Who have put out exactly one album of new material since 1982, and they still fill arenas just fine playing the music they have for ages. Paul McCartney has a boatload of clunker albums and it hasn't stopped him (okay, maybe being a Beatle gives him an unfair advantage, haha).

I can appreciate U2 not wanting to rest on their laurels, but I fear that attempting to be a name mentioned among Ed Sheeran, Cardi B, Taylor Swift, et al is a losing proposition. They need to know their audience, and I would hope that they're coming to realize it isn't today's youth culture. There's no shame in that. Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, etc., etc. proved that you don't need teenyboppers to fill stadiums.

Offline u2live

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 07:31:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Perhaps, but I don't think that really soured things. They waited that long, released an album that didn't really amount to much, but unleashed the biggest tour on the face of the planet. Clearly they hadn't lost much in the way of goodwill, and I don't think NLOTH's iffy reception was really much of a problem. Plenty of other artists have survived without regularly-released great albums. I mean, The Who have put out exactly one album of new material since 1982, and they still fill arenas just fine playing the music they have for ages. Paul McCartney has a boatload of clunker albums and it hasn't stopped him (okay, maybe being a Beatle gives him an unfair advantage, haha).

I can appreciate U2 not wanting to rest on their laurels, but I fear that attempting to be a name mentioned among Ed Sheeran, Cardi B, Taylor Swift, et al is a losing proposition. They need to know their audience, and I would hope that they're coming to realize it isn't today's youth culture. There's no shame in that. Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi, etc., etc. proved that you don't need teenyboppers to fill stadiums.

Great to read the above as I've felt this for last couple of albums now......

Offline MinnetonkaMN55345

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 11:33:19 PM »
I became a fan of U2 when the "I Will Follow" video hit MTV. 1981 (?). Larry intrigued me. He is the only reason I ever watched it again. I am sure I would have became a fan with another song in time though. But to your fans of Snow Patrol thinking U2 are outdated comment, while the thought of music I love so much not being accepted by a new generation I only have to look at my parents music, or my grand parents, and I understand. Even for me in the 90's I started to not know a few bands on the top 100 and it shocked me. Now I look at the top 100 and I might recognize 4 or 5 bands/performers.