Author Topic: Do You Go To See Teenage Bands' Gigs When You're Middle Aged?!  (Read 1062 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
I was just posting on another thread about being very tempted to go and see Inhaler when they support the band Blossoms in Cardiff in June. I'm not very familiar with Blossoms and would be going purely to see Inhaler as I really like the music I've heard from them so far. It's the age thing though! For most of my younger life I went to gigs regularly, I've always loved live concerts, especially in smaller, more intimate venues. I haven't been to many gigs in recent years, mainly because concerts have become so much more expensive. Most gigs that I have been to in recent years though are acts who have been around for quite a few years and so their audiences aren't all too young and are more mixed.

I'm going to see the band Garbage in Cardiff in July and am really looking forward to it. I've loved them for years. Obviously with the band having been around for a long time their fan base is now a lot older and so I hopefully won't feel too out of place. Inhaler though - the audience will no doubt all be teenagers and I don't know whether I should embarrass myself, now being middle aged, going to a gig surrounded by teens. Will I just look stupid and out of place?!

I was just wondering if many middle aged people here go and see bands regardless of how new and young they may be or if you don't bother because you know you'll be the oldest person there?

As I said it usually doesn't bother me that much with an audience that's more mixed in age because the band/singer has been around for a while (like when I went to see The Libertines a few years ago and Arctic Monkeys last year). A lot of their audience was young yes (20's/30's) but with Inhaler and Blossoms you're surely talking about all teens?!

Arrrrrgh, really not sure what to do, lol!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: Do You Go To See Teenage Bands' Gigs When You're Middle Aged?!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »
This is a no-brainer: go.

1) Nobody cares. Nobody is going to say "oh my god look at that middle-aged dude."

2) You're not going to be the oldest anyway. There will be others, some going on their own, some accompanying their teens.

3) Face it, a substantial portion of Inhaler's audience are curious U2 fans. In other words, middle-aged geezers.

Gooooo.

Offline Tortuga

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 04:57:45 PM »
Ditto everything laoghaire said.  I go to shows that are predominately young.  First time Iíve heard of being embarrassed to be associated with something youthful.  Now the other way Iíve heard about...of course thatís silly too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hollywoodswag

• Stateless
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 05:51:29 PM »
If all else fails, just claim you're somebody's parent, haha.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 10:46:15 PM »
I remember going to see a band called Slaves when they first started. I was the oldest by miles but as above - who cares! No one else around we did. 

Offline summerholly

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 04:35:34 AM »
I cant say I am interested in teenage bands but I doubt anyone will care.  Sure to be parents and curious U2 fans there as well so you wont be the only middle aged dude in the audience of that I am sure. 

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 08:00:54 AM »
Thanks everyone. I'll just have to leave my self conscious feelings at home and say sod it if I'm the only oldie there. I could do with a night out so this looks like the trick, even though it won't be a cheap night out!

BTW, I'm not a dude I'm female. :)

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 08:20:16 AM »
Lol, oh well there you go, I was worrying needlessly anyway - the gig is sold out so I can't go anyway! I only found out a couple of days ago that Inhaler were supporting Blossoms in Cardiff. I don't really know who Blossoms are so would never have looked at their own tour listings. Ah well, way it goes. Thanks for the replies anyway, everyone. At least I have a gig to look forward to in July, the magnificent Garbage! :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:45:23 PM »
I know Eli wants to forge his own path, but I think it would be great of him to throw the old folks a bone and sing "I Will Follow", since he sounds and looks so much like young Bono.

Offline Luzita

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 11:55:23 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know Eli wants to forge his own path, but I think it would be great of him to throw the old folks a bone and sing "I Will Follow", since he sounds and looks so much like young Bono.
Yeah, that would be cool. But I canít see him doing that cause itíll be difficult enough to get out from under his dadís shadow as it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wons

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 01:32:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was just posting on another thread about being very tempted to go and see Inhaler when they support the band Blossoms in Cardiff in June. I'm not very familiar with Blossoms and would be going purely to see Inhaler as I really like the music I've heard from them so far. It's the age thing though! For most of my younger life I went to gigs regularly, I've always loved live concerts, especially in smaller, more intimate venues. I haven't been to many gigs in recent years, mainly because concerts have become so much more expensive. Most gigs that I have been to in recent years though are acts who have been around for quite a few years and so their audiences aren't all too young and are more mixed.

I'm going to see the band Garbage in Cardiff in July and am really looking forward to it. I've loved them for years. Obviously with the band having been around for a long time their fan base is now a lot older and so I hopefully won't feel too out of place. Inhaler though - the audience will no doubt all be teenagers and I don't know whether I should embarrass myself, now being middle aged, going to a gig surrounded by teens. Will I just look stupid and out of place?!

I was just wondering if many middle aged people here go and see bands regardless of how new and young they may be or if you don't bother because you know you'll be the oldest person there?

As I said it usually doesn't bother me that much with an audience that's more mixed in age because the band/singer has been around for a while (like when I went to see The Libertines a few years ago and Arctic Monkeys last year). A lot of their audience was young yes (20's/30's) but with Inhaler and Blossoms you're surely talking about all teens?!

Arrrrrgh, really not sure what to do, lol!

Every weekend I still bust a move on the dance floor despite being more than twice the age of most of the people on the dance floor. I don't feel out of place at all. Never have. Once you reach the age of adulthood, 18 or 21, age no longer matters.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 08:00:33 PM »
That's cool that you do that, Wons.  I'd like to go dancing sometime, but there's really nowhere to go around where I live, unless you like country line dancing I guess.

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 06:58:25 PM »
Why not? Music is a great uniter.

The worst that could happen? Everyone assumes you're a dealer and you have to convince them that your arthritis pills are in fact the next big thing in pingers...

Just sayin'

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 02:14:33 AM »
There were people that looked like they were in their 60's at Inhaler and Touts back in March.  The first support act, Monks, had a keyboardist and he stayed for the rest of the evening, hanging out at the back with HIS PARENTS! Who admittedly looked a cool couple in their 40's or 50's.  I figured they were his parents because he looked young enough to be their son, and he looked really like her. 

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 07:43:38 AM »
Maybe they were dealers