Author Topic: Your Feedback - Politics - the Blackout may soon be over..  (Read 485 times)

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
Your Feedback - Politics - the Blackout may soon be over..
« on: June 25, 2019, 01:30:20 PM »
The mods have been reviewing the forum and are looking for your thoughts on how to improve things around here. One of the things we are more than likely going to do is to reopen the forum to political debate. U2 and politics (as we have been reminded a lot over the past 2 years) go hand in hand.

We are reviewing our rules regarding this but I'm interested to know whether you believe that we should either -

(1) Let the section self police - if you enter then you need to do so aware of the debates

(2) Have a set of guidelines that will help manage the discussions (but not make people worry around every post they make)

In addition to the above we would welcome any other ideas in relation to the forum - its your place so let us know what you think.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 01:32:19 PM by singnomore »

Offline JTNash

• Numb
Re: Your Feedback - Politics - the Blackout may soon be over..
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 08:33:37 PM »
I think people can be civil, but will they I don’t know lol.

I do like to talk politics and I share the same ideals as the band

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 09:49:45 AM »
Not sure about allowing politics back, but if you do, I think rule 1 needs to be that those discussions have to stay in that section. What I feel became part of the issue here before was when those discussions started coming into the other sections and what would start as a calm discussion would turn into a nasty brawl of opposing political views with neither side ever wanting to concede to the other.

Agree that as U2 is so involved politically as a band, especially Bono, it would be nice to have those discussions allowed here again. My hope would be that fans could be civil towards each other, and the band, but second JT's above comment that I'm not sure they will be. :) Maybe try it out on a trial basis and state that the politics have to stay in that section and if they enter other sections (and especially if they are way off topic), those posts will be deleted or moved?

I will note that I lurk over on the other site were several former members from here fled to during the site shutdown and although that site bragged about being open to all discussions and allowing all opinions/talk, they have since found themselves having issues managing the political discussions. The same complaints people had here (nastiness between members with opposing views, politics seeping into every discussion, etc) were brought up over there and were causing some to no longer frequent their site.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 02:38:24 PM »
I think the main thing is this people have to agree to look at things differently.  If your just gonna post memes and lies it’s not gonna work, that’s not debate.

So if you want to come to the conversation you have to be willing to listen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
Guys - good builds. And if we made it Politics and Religion - same views?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 10:50:35 PM »
I reckon make it Moderator free and opt in, if the software allows.

There by the grace of God etc...

If you swim with the sharks when there's a sign up that says "beware of sharks" then you've not got anyone else to bail you out.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 06:40:14 AM »
Not so keen on moderator free (whilst i get your thinking Briscoe) but suspect we will be light of touch and let it be governed by the 'Don't be a d**k' rule. I've seen other forums try that and eventually have to bring some sense of order to the discussions

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 10:20:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I reckon make it Moderator free and opt in, if the software allows.

There by the grace of God etc...

If you swim with the sharks when there's a sign up that says "beware of sharks" then you've not got anyone else to bail you out.

There’s a definite appeal to that, but we’re hoping to prevent animosities that might develop in that sort of situation from spilling over into other parts of the site. Prior to the shut down, people would bring aggressive or aggrieved attitudes from political discussions into other discussions.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »
Yep that's fine. Just a suggestion.

Offline cmmott

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 04:28:55 PM »
Tough one since U2's music is so political. Makes it really hard to ban political topics all together. I just think there needs to be a quick ban of people who turn political conversation nasty. These days...politics is a powder keg but some firm consequences should get everyone to chill.